Diablo® III

D3 Expac: Necromancer Hero

When i first loaded up diablo 2 lord of destruction and heard that bone chilling music and felt the dark tone there was only 1 class i could pick to fit that tone and it was the necromancer rasing armies of the dead to fight your battles for you curses and much more it was great!

i can see it now in D3

necromancer character dialog loaded with black humor concerning much of the events in the game

the endless debates with the Templar ^.^

it would be a nice fit for diablo 3
Reply Quote
When I first read about WDs long long ago I thought "Wow you know I guess if Witchdoctors were really that different from Necromancers I guess it is a possibility to have both of them introduced". Now? As much as I would LOVE to see a necromancer (i would play the !@#$ out of him), I don't see it happening.

Now dont get me wrong, I dont mean both classes are carbon copies but if blizzard really really really wanted to sell their expansion (if it ever gets one considering the current state of the game) I highly doubt they will make Necromancer their first priority. If they follow their traditional path and release 2 heroes in one expansion, then yes I can see necromancer being a #2 but definitely not a #1.

Also random note: Witchdoctor is most definitely not a Necromancer. They play more like a Druid with Black Magic theme. Hell if anything they play very similarly aside from the transformations. The only reason why people think they overlap is because of summons and black themed stuff.

What they should've done is made the Necromancer the returning hero and made a new melee class. I love the barb as much as anyone, but summons/bonespear/bonespirit/walls/prisons/GOLEMSSS/curses >>>>>>> whirlwind/leap. Really, I can't believe a Whirlwind spamming hero won the poll of returning hero. They said "We can't really improve a Necromancer because the class is perfect, but a Barbarian we can improve on" and the way he is played is literally the exact %^-*ing same as D2. I guess you click on overpower once in a while thats something new.

I want the necromancer really badly, but I would like a fresh new hero to be bundled with the necromancer. I don't wanna see an expansion down the road thats 40 dollars and has necromancer only on it! I want to see another strength hero that plays differently than all the other classes (not another dex hero thanks). I don't see a paladin coming anytime soon because well lets be honest Paladins and Monks overlap pretty hard. If anything Monks are paladins with fists and dodge instead of hammer and shield.

Also when they make the necromancer, Bone Teeth - Bone Spear - Bone Spirit better all be primaries. Those skills were so badass!
Reply Quote
How about a knight that uses bone magic? Knight of Trag'Oul or whatever.

That way:

1) You bring a STR class that is missing.

2) You make a melee-magic hybrid distinguishable from the Barbarian.

3) You make him use shields as well(redefining Bone shield probably as well), and bone magic, making him distinguishable from the Monk.

4) He has nothing to do with spirits, voodoo or animals, so he's nothing like the Witch Doctor.

5) Archetype of a Knight, or effective shield/1h character returns, with a nice twist.
Reply Quote
They have said they made the WD playstyle a lot different from the Necro on purpose and that if they were to bring him back there would still be plenty of differences in the classes and i agree with that. WD playstyle is certainly different than Necro and it's ok but i love summoning minions and you can't do enough of it as WD.
Reply Quote
Love to see Paladin back in D3 it would make my day another str based class would be amazing.
Also Necro would be amazing I miss my skellie army so much from d2 :(
Reply Quote
the Necromancer is the best class I have ever played in any game ever. I will be heartbroken if this class isnt implemented into Diablo 3 after hoping for it for years and years, even before diablo 3 was even officially announced.
Reply Quote
Necro would fit lorewise, and thematically (my prediction is that Maltheal becomes the new "villian" for the xpac, taking on the aspect of death itself).... but I really have trouble seeing how they can differentiate from the WD....

Death knight type characters I think will also fit thematically, but I can't see them fitting in lorewise... unless necros are put in first.... And I can't see both necros and deathknights being added.

The class I miss the most from diablo 2 however, was the ASSASSIN.

DH and Monks are both piss poor replacements for the assassin.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Epyon
Necro would fit lorewise, and thematically (my prediction is that Maltheal becomes the new "villian" for the xpac, taking on the aspect of death itself)....
I agree that there is some chance of that outcome for Malthael, although if that were the case he would likely be aligned with the Priests of Rathma.

Lots of people think that they would be a viable playable class, but barring a pretty decent canon stretch by Blizz, it just cannot be. You seem to atleast have some idea of what you're talking about though, so I'd like to hear why you think that the necromancers could fit in with lore as a playable class for the expansion.
Reply Quote
05/18/2013 06:12 PMPosted by Chris
Necro would fit lorewise, and thematically (my prediction is that Maltheal becomes the new "villian" for the xpac, taking on the aspect of death itself)....
I agree that there is some chance of that outcome for Malthael, although if that were the case he would likely be aligned with the Priests of Rathma.

Lots of people think that they would be a viable playable class, but barring a pretty decent canon stretch by Blizz, it just cannot be. You seem to atleast have some idea of what you're talking about though, so I'd like to hear why you think that the necromancers could fit in with lore as a playable class for the expansion.

Well remember they don't necessarily have to be 100% to the expansions lore. Any new classes are still going to start investigating the Fallen Star, the same as the current classes. That said, if Malthael is the big new villian, and becomes an embodiment of death itself, it's kinda likely he's trying to kill everyone.... I doubt that works out well with Trag 'Oul's ideals of protecting the balance in the world/protecting sanctuary. Thematically it kinda makes sense to have a class specializing in the powers of life and death, to combat a being that is death incarnate.

Malthael, Inarius, Imperius, Lilith, and Trang 'Oul are really the only beings I see left that are boss worthy...

Imperius I dont see being smart enough, or really ambitious enough to be the "head guy", but I could see him going along with something that wipes out humanity/sanctuary if it was Malthael's idea.

Inarius and Lilith could both appear.. I'd peg Lilith for a early expansion boss (possibly even actually being Adria, the witch, who we would be chasing down for revenge, while she races to stop Inarius... giving us a lead-in to the expansion's storyline.), and Inarius could easily be looking for another shot at killing the Nephalum, getting rescued by Malthael (who could also potentially be the one taking over hell itself, in cooperation with Trag 'Oul to preserve "balance")

Trag 'Oul, I can't see as the final villian, because he's the actually the guardian of sanctuary and isn't going to help destroy it purposely after spending so long just trying to keep Heaven/Hell out of Sanctuary's business. But I could see something like Malthael tricking Trag 'Oul into helping him take complete control of hell, to fill the void left by Diablo's death (to preserve balance between hell/heaven), and Malthael subsequently trying to kill everyone (Blizzard loves making villians by making normal creatures randomly go crazy).

I should add a disclaimer here, this is all just complete 100% guess work here, but there's enough content with this line of thought to have a full 2-4 extra acts, each with their own major boss.
Reply Quote
05/19/2013 01:01 AMPosted by Epyon
Any new classes are still going to start investigating the Fallen Star, the same as the current classes.
I'm not exactly sure if that's true. I mean, the events of Diablo III probably took a few weeks at least, so any heroes seeking the fallen star are way, way behind. I'm assuming that any new heroes are going to be showing up as a response to current events or events that are yet to be told.

If Malthael is the big new villian, and becomes an embodiment of death itself, it's kinda likely he's trying to kill everyone.... I doubt that works out well with Trag 'Oul's ideals of protecting the balance in the world/protecting sanctuary. Thematically it kinda makes sense to have a class specializing in the powers of life and death, to combat a being that is death incarnate.
I honestly doubt that. Assuming that Malthael changes his aspect to Death, I think he will have done it because death is a certainty. He may also break allegiance with Heaven because of the fact that they are immortal. I don't think that he will be killing everyone at all, rather embracing a necessity.

Inarius and Lilith could both appear.. I'd peg Lilith for a early expansion boss (possibly even actually being Adria, the witch, who we would be chasing down for revenge, while she races to stop Inarius... giving us a lead-in to the expansion's storyline.), and Inarius could easily be looking for another shot at killing the Nephalum, getting rescued by Malthael (who could also potentially be the one taking over hell itself, in cooperation with Trag 'Oul to preserve "balance")
I think that it nearly impossible that Inarius won't play a role in the future of Diablo, but I think it will actually be Lilith (Adria) who frees him from Hell.

Trag 'Oul, I can't see as the final villian, because he's the actually the guardian of sanctuary and isn't going to help destroy it purposely after spending so long just trying to keep Heaven/Hell out of Sanctuary's business. But I could see something like Malthael tricking Trag 'Oul into helping him take complete control of hell, to fill the void left by Diablo's death (to preserve balance between hell/heaven), and Malthael subsequently trying to kill everyone (Blizzard loves making villians by making normal creatures randomly go crazy).
I think it's very possible that Trag'Oul becomes the ruler of Hell, but by his own accord. By maintaining the balance between good and evil, he actually would be saving Sanctuary from a future of certain demise under the allegiance with Heaven. Evil must exist, but it is clear that the Great Evils cannot be trusted to maintain any balance, so Trag'Oul will spend an eternity battling angels outside the vision of man because he's the hero Sanctuary deserves. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.
Reply Quote
05/19/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Chris
By maintaining the balance between good and evil, he actually would be saving Sanctuary from a future of certain demise under the allegiance with Heaven.

How would an alliance with Heaven destroy Sanctuary?
Reply Quote
05/20/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Starblazer
Everything in creation is at risk with the Heaven/Sanctuary superpower that goes unmatched.
Reply Quote
05/20/2013 01:07 AMPosted by Chris
Everything in creation is at risk with the Heaven/Sanctuary superpower that goes unmatched.

How?
Reply Quote
05/20/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Starblazer
How?
History has proven both Heaven and Hell to be incapable of sustaining themselves without the other. Whenever Hell had created worlds with the captured Worldstone, they were engines of annihilation and ended up destroying themselves with their boundless chaos. Worlds created at the hands of Heaven were also unable to flourish. They were built with such perfect order, that they stagnated and withered away.

Of course, times were different then. Heaven and Hell were equals, and no mortal man was around to sway the tides of the Eternal Conflict one way or another as they have now done so foolishly. The Worldstone also does not exist, so there will be no extra worlds to create and destroy except Sanctuary and any other existing realms.
Reply Quote
How?
History has proven both Heaven and Hell to be incapable of sustaining themselves without the other. Whenever Hell had created worlds with the captured Worldstone, they were engines of annihilation and ended up destroying themselves with their boundless chaos. Worlds created at the hands of Heaven were also unable to flourish. They were built with such perfect order, that they stagnated and withered away.

Of course, times were different then. Heaven and Hell were equals, and no mortal man was around to sway the tides of the Eternal Conflict one way or another as they have now done so foolishly. The Worldstone also does not exist, so there will be no extra worlds to create and destroy except Sanctuary and any other existing realms.

Human ingenuity and free will will keep our world from withering away and stagnating. The laws of physics will help too. As for evil, humans can do that all on their own, so there will always be some (unfortunately). Evil really doesn't have any redeeming qualities, and it doesn't require a supernatural cause.
Reply Quote
05/20/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Starblazer
Human ingenuity and free will will keep our world from withering away and stagnating. The laws of physics will help too. As for evil, humans can do that all on their own, so there will always be some (unfortunately). Evil really doesn't have any redeeming qualities, and it doesn't require a supernatural cause.
If humanity wants to survive, it will require either the rebirth of dedicated evil, or the destruction of Heaven. There will always be humans on the evil side, humans on the good side, and many right in the middle, but without the conditions above, Sanctuary is doomed.

Not sure what you mean by the laws of physics?
Reply Quote
If humanity wants to survive, it will require either the rebirth of dedicated evil, or the destruction of Heaven. There will always be humans on the evil side, humans on the good side, and many right in the middle, but without the conditions above, Sanctuary is doomed.

Not sure what you mean by the laws of physics?

The laws of physics keep a universe from collapsing. They keep everything spinning. I'm not sure how monstrous blood-thirsty creatures from a fiery pit are necessary to keep Sanctuary from doom. In the game, without Imperious (the a-hole angel that the hero could easily defeat), there is little threat of Heaven deciding to destroy Santuary. Hell will probably find a new ruler though, but from the perspective of humans living in Santuary, it would not be necessary. If Heaven ever does decide to wipe us out, the nephalem will head up into Heaven and whoop some angelic butt.
Edited by Starblazer#1223 on 5/21/2013 12:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2013 12:30 AMPosted by Starblazer
The laws of physics keep a universe from collapsing. They keep everything spinning. I'm not sure how monstrous blood-thirsty creatures from a fiery pit are necessary to keep Sanctuary from doom.
I've seen you posting on this board for awhile and quite honestly I'm surprised that we are having this conversation and that it has come this far. Have you read the Book of Cain? If not, check it out - it's a great source for Diablo lore. If you have, re-reference pages 9 - 16.
Reply Quote
We now have 2 int class. They could make the necromancer a vitality class hero since they hold the aspect of life and death. They cast spells using their own hp as a resource perhaps. I see the necromancers becoming the death knights of diablo 3. Think about the possibilities. Skeletal warriors with five runes. They could even summon a grim reaper!
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 01:21 AMPosted by Heartsparx
What do you think?

I'd rather see 2 NEW classes in the expansion rather than them tread old ground.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]