Diablo® III

Wicked Wind Tick Rate and Breakpoints

^No, aps is calculated by taking the APS of your weapon and multiplying it by the sum of your IAS on all pieces of other gear. Since that IAS on weapon is already applied to the base weapon aps first, it is not counted in the second 'gear' term.

Which is fine, If we were stuck with 1.40 aps wands and all the IAS was applied in a single term, max IAS would be considerably lower. By doing it this way we are able to acheive much higher levels. It does however drastically favor faster weapons however. Like weapons weren't already too important eh?
View profile
Basically a 10% chants wand is equal to a 8% WH and 8% ring if you had slow chants at same base speed. So like two items. Thats why "budget" way to get ias is chants wand with it. ofc you lose dps over socketed CD wand. TANSTAAFL
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/7/2012 10:45 PM PDT
Shandlar can you do the same calculation with meteor?
10/07/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Darion
Shandlar can you do the same calculation with meteor?

Unfortuneatly meteor doesn't have an linear progression of DoT ticks like WW does. At any attack speed its DoT 'ticks' at a constant rate.
What is tick rate?
If currently i have 2.25 aspd with 1.65 chants, what aspd will i have with 1.75 chants? will it break 2.50 aspd? (which roughly will bring me down 10k+ dps lol)
I only see +31% IAS on your gearing. That would put a 1.75 chants (assuming its exactly 1.75, a 10% +0.21 chants) at 2.332 aps with enchantress.

If you are 2.25 now you have some piece of gear not updated on your profile.

With a 1.750 chants wand you would need +41% IAS from your gear to obtain the 2.50 breakpoint while using enchantress. 43% using scoundrel.

10/08/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Innocence
What is tick rate?

Tick rate is how many times a twister will 'hit' a target that is in range for the entire 6 seconds of its duration. You can divide the given numbers by 6 in order to get 'hits per second per target per twister'.

That number can then be divided by 8 and multiplied by your LoH to get an effective life/second heal rate that you will recover.
Edited by Shandlar#1961 on 10/8/2012 12:50 AM PDT
I'm not really good with maths, so at +49% IAS, what weapon aps do I need to obtain that 2.50 aps without Enchantress? I play with friends a lot so I can't use Enchantress that often :(
You would need any IAS chants, 1.69 or better. Anything but a perfect minimum +5% and 0.21 would do it.
^ Ah thanks Shandlar, i think 2.25 aspd is when i put on my other gloves, anyway i think its still wont reach 2.50+ with 1.75 chants,
maybe i need faster chants.. cant really find in the market with 1100+ dps (affordable ones) with more than 1.75 aspd.. maybe i'll just wait for the next patch to hit first and try upgrade my jewellery, hard to find an upgrade when i want to keep my current dps and ehp but with faster aspd...

Anyway, at which aspd breakpoint do you guys think its ideal (sweet spot) to get without sacrificing too much other stat? i'm sure at some point you'll need to sacrifice either LoH, or AR/+armor for more aspd which maybe not worth it, i'm guessing 2.50 will be sufficient for most people...
i know more aspd is better for stunlocking, but most probaby blizzard dont want us to stunlock single enemies anyway, which probably will lead to another nerf -_-, my concern is only to get sufficient health back from 600-800 LoH, enough APoC, and to stunlock when there are 3 mobs or more (since that what we will be facing most of the time)
10/08/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Fatamorgana
Anyway, at which aspd breakpoint do you guys think its ideal (sweet spot) to get without sacrificing too much other stat?

Unfortunately, that's not an easy question to answer.

As you said, as your attack speed goes up, your ability to freeze mobs also goes up, with the ability to at least keep single target mobs "stutter locked" at around the 2.74 break point.

As you decrease mobs abilities to do nasty things to you, your need for armor/vit/AR also goes down, in most cases.

I have roughly the same survivability now (see profile for stats) as I did when I had 40k vit, 1100 AR (with Energy/Prismatic), 5.5k armor and only 1.6 attacks per second.

But (and this is a rather big but), you become much more dependent on playing skillfully as you rapidly lose the ability to take even a single hit in the upper MP levels. You gotta keep an eye on your cool downs, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, in order to hit the high break points, you need to start using equipment (Shandlar has already posted about several of these items earlier) which are going to decrease some of your survivability stats.

It's up to you as to whether or not you want to lose survivability at the cost of reaching the next break point.

IMO, I'm having much more fun playing a "ragged edge of survival" build (my definition: killing stuff fast but always being one hit from death).

As your attack speed goes up, your ability to maintain your survival stats becomes much more constrained by the gear you have to choose, as well as your bank account.

Edit: I should mention that going over the 3.00 break point has a rather pronounced effect; your survivability goes up a lot more than what you might expect. LoH, CM, etc (all the nice things that happen with IAS) seem much more amplified than at the earlier break points). Switching over to the gear I have to use to hit that break point drops me down to only 24k(!) health, but my ability to survive goes way up. Unfortunately, I also lose a ton of dps, so I don't actually *play* at this break point, but it was fun to test and see the difference it makes).
Edited by Phlier#1826 on 10/8/2012 1:51 AM PDT
Dear diary this is some impressive work. Good work gentlemen.
View profile
What amazes me is with high IAS a lot of things take care of themselves. You don't need high LOH anymore like 1200 we were talking about post 1.03 trying to get WW working again with our crap ias cuz you hit so dang fast 600 can be like 1200 at your old IAS. Then there is shell that's spamming faster ie staying up better. Then you lock better which reduces things baddies can do to you.

Guys like s8 run around with noob armor and resists cuz hes sporting like 3.3 IAS. But he has mad skill becuase any miscalculation on freeze or aproach or like miscasting of your twisters at empty chest while walking forward (we've all done that) and you're toast. Way less margins for error so it's best to have high mitgation so you're at least not one shotted. I prefer 2.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/8/2012 2:41 AM PDT
After some calculations of my own, it seems I can't hit 3.0+ without using an Andy's helm (and thereby gimping myself even further).

*sigh*

On the flipside, it means I have a bunch of options that opened up as far as upgrade paths go, and I can now look for a lacuni w/o vit (which are $$$) and get some ice climbers to make up lost vit. Or, a multitude of other possibilities, assuming 2.73 is enough for me.

Decisions, decisions
After some calculations of my own, it seems I can't hit 3.0+ without using an Andy's helm (and thereby gimping myself even further).

*sigh*

On the flipside, it means I have a bunch of options that opened up as far as upgrade paths go, and I can now look for a lacuni w/o vit (which are $$$) and get some ice climbers to make up lost vit. Or, a multitude of other possibilities, assuming 2.73 is enough for me.

Decisions, decisions

Ikr, knowing that 2.50 aps is now enough (no way I can reach 2.70 while keeping the current EHP without loads of Gold ), I can totally drop IAS in my Gloves to get more DPS and EHP.

Knowing the breakpoints opens many gearing options.
Amazing work, good to know what to aim for now.
Unfortunately, the fact remains that a lot of players will need to go to archon (as I have just started today) to continue farming with the hopes of getting enough gold.

All in the hopes of running our favorite build again (SNS).
Wow. Thank you so much for dropping all this knowledge! I don't remember when and where but I remember reading ET only ticked twice per second... Perhaps it was another skill.

With the incoming 1.05 nerf to the Storm Chaser coefficient, it makes sense that APS will be more necessary than ever to increase our crits. But does this mean that the Chantodo's set will be the only viable Weapon/Off-Hand combo for ET CM builds?

I wish I had the $$$ to test drive a Chantodo's Set (High APS) to compare it to my current "Black Dmg" Weapon + Triumvirate (High Dmg). I see that almost every endgame/high tier CM wiz in this thread has the Chantodo's set, what are your takes on other Weap/Off-Hand combos?

Personally I don't like the Archon playstyle which is why I'm trying find a way to maintain my CM/EB build. I just haven't figured out a way to keep it viable in 1.05 with the incoming proc coefficient nerf.
Wow. Thank you so much for dropping all this knowledge! I don't remember when and where but I remember reading ET only ticked twice per second... Perhaps it was another skill.

With the incoming 1.05 nerf to the Storm Chaser coefficient, it makes sense that APS will be more necessary than ever to increase our crits. But does this mean that the Chantodo's set will be the only viable Weapon/Off-Hand combo for ET CM builds?

I wish I had the $$$ to test drive a Chantodo's Set (High APS) to compare it to my current "Black Dmg" Weapon + Triumvirate (High Dmg). I see that almost every endgame/high tier CM wiz in this thread has the Chantodo's set, what are your takes on other Weap/Off-Hand combos?

Personally I don't like the Archon playstyle which is why I'm trying find a way to maintain my CM/EB build. I just haven't figured out a way to keep it viable in 1.05 with the incoming proc coefficient nerf.

Without the Chant set, you can only reach 2.15 aps maximum with max IAS on Amulet, Rings, Gloves, and Wand. Imo 2.3+ aps is needed. But the new patch offers higher IAS jewelries, and unique equipment can further boost your aps, so I think Chantodo's set is not mandatory, but if you want to reach Uber aps, then the set is must. Without Chant, surely black weapon + Trium is the best combo.
I have 3.14 APS with enchantress and 3.08 without her. Does that mean that I should use scoundrel instead for now?
Shandlar, can you do me a big favor?
Please take your max aps gear and test with Slow Time/Stretch Time. This should bring you above 3.5 aps.
I would like to know if there is a breakpoint at 3.5

Also, just as a sidenote: It seems like they tampered with the general rounding of aps values in the latest PTR. On live, my 7%ias dagger (=1.605) displays as 1.60. On PTR it is correctly displayed as 1.61
I guess that's only a fixed display bug, but I thought I'd mention it.

However regarding enchantress, there's still something fishy. Because with this setup, both on live and PTR, she seems to give me 0.02 aps only. Display changes from 1.60 to 1.62 on live, 1.62 to 1.63 on PTR.
I was not able to reproduce this with any other combination of weapon/gear/IAS.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]