Diablo® III

Wicked Wind Tick Rate and Breakpoints

I'd like to ask sth:

I made several tests to check Twisters/CM ticks/tick rate etc.
I used Ghom as test-dummy, lured him into a corner so he did not move, took the time I needed to bring him down from x hp to 0 (started time with full Twisters up) and counted the number of Diamond Skins I could recast in this period. I got the following results from over 20 tests (averaged numbers thoug, very high R² ~ 0.998 or sth).

twister crit: 70.5%
aps: 2.2484
apoc: 20 (full ap all the time anyways)

seconds per DS: 1.10
DS/s: 0.91

since I used Evocation CD of DS=15*0.85=12.75s

1.1s per DS means I need to get 12.75-1.1=11.64 CM triggers every 1.1s => 10.58 CM/s

so I got around 10.6 CM trigger every second by just using 2.2484 APS and only twister (no EB). Now we need to know the number of Twisters up at the same time: 2.2484*6~13.5
So I got around 13-14 Twisters up at the same time.

10.6/13.5=0.8 //CM trigger per Twister and second
0.705crit*0.125pc*tickrate=0.8 => tickrate=9.08/s => 55 ticks/twister

now when i compare this value with the ones from the formula and/or table each twister should only have ~half as much ticks per seconds. I hope my calculations are clear.. I just counted CM triggers to determine the tick rates without formula and breakpoints.. but when I compare these two values they are obviously different!

Any suggestions why I get these results?

€dit: even with other and low aps/crit stats I always calculate 48-58 ticks for energy twister. always kinda twice as much as table/formula says.
Edited by UBORLOL#2677 on 1/28/2013 3:44 AM PST
See what you get if you put your setup into d3cmww.com (should be able to load your profile from the API). I have it set to a 2.0 proc multiplier for CM by default.

My testing (d3cmww.com/test_results) is based on DPS and Frost Nova casts over a 30-40 second fight, it all supports CM proc'ing at 2x the rate it should be assuming an 0.125 proc rate
Edited by Steve#1523 on 1/28/2013 6:42 AM PST
See what you get if you put your setup into d3cmww.com (should be able to load your profile from the API). I have it set to a 2.0 proc multiplier for CM by default.

My testing (d3cmww.com/test_results) is based on DPS and Frost Nova casts over a 30-40 second fight, it all supports CM proc'ing at 2x the rate it should be assuming an 0.125 proc rate

well the simulation shows same results.. either the proc coefficient of twister is 0.25 or the tick rate is twice as much as written in formula.
I'd like to ask sth:

I made several tests to check Twisters/CM ticks/tick rate etc.
I used Ghom as test-dummy, lured him into a corner so he did not move, took the time I needed to bring him down from x hp to 0 (started time with full Twisters up) and counted the number of Diamond Skins I could recast in this period. I got the following results from over 20 tests (averaged numbers thoug, very high R² ~ 0.998 or sth).

twister crit: 70.5%
aps: 2.2484
apoc: 20 (full ap all the time anyways)

seconds per DS: 1.10
DS/s: 0.91

since I used Evocation CD of DS=15*0.85=12.75s

1.1s per DS means I need to get 12.75-1.1=11.64 CM triggers every 1.1s => 10.58 CM/s

so I got around 10.6 CM trigger every second by just using 2.2484 APS and only twister (no EB). Now we need to know the number of Twisters up at the same time: 2.2484*6~13.5
So I got around 13-14 Twisters up at the same time.

10.6/13.5=0.8 //CM trigger per Twister and second
0.705crit*0.125pc*tickrate=0.8 => tickrate=9.08/s => 55 ticks/twister

now when i compare this value with the ones from the formula and/or table each twister should only have ~half as much ticks per seconds. I hope my calculations are clear.. I just counted CM triggers to determine the tick rates without formula and breakpoints.. but when I compare these two values they are obviously different!

Any suggestions why I get these results?

€dit: even with other and low aps/crit stats I always calculate 48-58 ticks for energy twister. always kinda twice as much as table/formula says.

This seems very unusual. I did a similar test at 2.002 APS with 30 APoC and it still takes me about 2-3s to refresh my DS. Can you post a vid showing the behavior?

EDIT: To be specific, 88s fight, I cast 37 DS. That's about 1.5x as many as I should have been able to cast.
Edited by Loroese#1415 on 1/28/2013 4:41 PM PST
Both tick rates and proc coefficients were tested exclusively with LoH, because it's the most visible of the "on hit" effects. I just did a small number of tests with APoC and they fit, too.
Then we just assumed the same numbers apply for CM. But there have been several testcases now, where this doesn't quite add up.
Assuming there is a hidden x2 multiplier, the most interesting question is what it applies to. Tickrate? Wouldn't work for single hit spells. Poc coef? Then what happens to spells with a LoH proc coef >=0.5?
Something definitely seems odd. I ran 500 simulations of an 88s fight with just WW and DS (crystal shell). The most DS casts in those 500 sims was 27 and the average was around 24. In one test in game I cast it 37 times, which is a lot more than I should have been able to.

This seems to be the same issue I saw with SA, namely there's more procs than there should be based on what we had thought was true. Since Blizzard actually told us the spell proc coefficient, we should assume that LoH procs and damage dealing occur at the same time with the same frequency. Thus the only conclusion is CM doesn't just use the spell coefficient. That means it either multiplies the coefficient by a factor, say 1.5 or 2, or it is a flat chance regardless of spell. I'm inclined to believe the former since spells with coefficients of 0 do not seem to proc CM, as far as I've heard. It would be easy to test though, just spam DS with Storm armor and hydra and see how long it takes to refresh.
Here's some tests I did for measuring whether there is a multiplier:

TESTS: Hit my brother's barb in PVP (1.07 PTR) for 6 total refreshing of diamond skin (crystal shell). I tried twice for each skill setup:
magic missle (seeker) --> 6 refreshes took 55s and 53s
shock pulse (piercing orb) --> 6 refreshes took 70s and 71s
magic missle (penetrating blast) --> 6 refreshes took 78s and 77s
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 1/28/2013 8:11 PM PST
@TekkZero
What APS and CC chance did you have?
Edited by Loroese#1415 on 1/28/2013 8:20 PM PST
1.58aps and 50%cc
Did you use Evocation?
Yes
Btw I think this is really cool! I had asked about this topic last week since I was so dumbfounded when I did the math that the number of CM procs was so low: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708262216 ). Now I know why the math with a 1xCM multiplier didn't work out! :)
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 1/28/2013 6:12 PM PST
Hmm, I never saw that thread. Thanks for the data. If you don't mind I'll post it in the thread I just made looking for data collectors.
Go ahead! :)
awesome stuff guys i thought playing a wiz that i dumped thousands of gold into was pointless. thank you very much :)
This type of info is wonderful.

But how do you know it is accurate ?

Btw I am running around trying out on mp 10 with only. 2.23 speed...
seems to work fine... havent tried any ubers yet..

also tried 10 k less dam with 2.3x speed, did not notice any difference really...
Edited by Silverbug#2339 on 3/14/2013 11:42 AM PDT
the biggest way to tell is the change in loh returns, which ofc greatly enhances survivability

to test either in pvp arena or in act 1 have healin numbers on and take a bit of dmg and then cast ww
make sure youre above brkpt as well since in game number rounds up
I'd like to thank Shandlar and everyone else that worked on these Tick Rates. After 1.05 I stopped playing completely. I was so unhappy with Blizzard.

Then I happened across this forum post and wow - what an amazing turn around you guys have achieved after the disaster of 1.05.

I am now having lots of fun with my limited budget Wizard and finding that teaming up with a Monk works really well. Doing MP7 so far with great results. A few silly deaths here and there - most likely our fault.

So once again - thanks for all your hard work. Very much appreciated.
Edited by krag#1500 on 8/4/2013 7:36 AM PDT
03/23/2013 07:23 AMPosted by krag
Just curious if anyone knows the next breakpoint after 3.34, is 3.76 correct. a full point above the break points is necessary due to the thousanths?

See first post:
5.0001 72
4.2858 60
3.7501 52

The breakpoint is 3.75 and you need to be above that to get 52 ticks/twister. Wether it's 3.76 or 3.75001 doesn't matter. Just above 3.75
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]