Diablo® III

Wicked Wind Tick Rate and Breakpoints

Bookmarked thanks Shandlar! I will be goaling for 3.3 for sure (with stretch time & enchantress). Currently at 2.62 with the combo, should be 2.73 by the time 1.05 drops.
^I'll get past 2.5 with a new 9% IAS ring. Then I need a 9%witching hour, a 9% duncraig and a 9% chants... for the next breakpoint...

Anyone have a spare 3b I can has? Audi?
^I'll get past 2.5 with a new 9% IAS ring. Then I need a 9%witching hour, a 9% duncraig and a 9% chants... for the next breakpoint...

Anyone have a spare 3b I can has? Audi?

Are you kidding, "spare 3b" xD
Yeah it was a joke lol. Wouldn't be any fun if it was easy.
Bump for the advancement of advanced wizard studies
Breaking 2.74 has made a difference as far as my experimenting goes in 1.04. I thought the same about breaking 2.5, but this latest jump has been significantly better. That said, and again, this is 1.04 w/o the new freeze mechanics of 1.05, the windup takes so much time that I am really feeling a lag where the nerfed proc of LOH is killing me. Literally killing me if I am facing a (non-elite) Blood Clan Occultist backed by Spearmen in Arreat Crater.

3 APS with damage mitigation is achievable. But as Shandlar has noted, it is expensive to go for Armor/AR/IAS (while maintaining CC of course).

I'm with others of you who have recently dissuaded anyone from doing this if their gear is too far behind the curve. Its demoralizing to hit these points and reflect on the gold and time invested only to realize how drastic this nerf is.

It's all worth it though for the sake of "advanced wizard studies."
@OP : can u gimme a hand on a LOH/apoc calculation per second of stacking 33 ww? and is ww on 0.15 or 0.125? Thank you.

47% CC
2.52 atk speed
1,790 LOH
30 APOC
33 ticks = 5.5/s
5.5 hits/s * 0.125 * 1790 = 1231 life per second per twister per target... (ALOT!)
5.5 hits/s * 0.125 * 0.47 * 30 = 9.69 AP per second per twister per target

Anything over 1k life per second per twister per target is just immense. I'm currently running @ 465 lol.

My AP cut off for 'enough' is 7.50 AP per second per twister per target. I consider comfortable at 8.0, and I enjoy 9.0 for ease of wormhole. At 9.7 you'll have no worries for AP whatsoever.

CM procs will be pretty weak though unfortuneatly. You'll be fine against champ packs, single targets will only have a ~65% stutterlock and be able to escape after a few rounds at max immunity.
10/10/2012 11:14 PMPosted by Shandlar
33 ticks = 5.5/s

I dont understand about this. Means i proc 5.5times per second from a tornado? or?
At what aps that you start to cast more than 1 Nova per second? I remember you mentioned it before at 2.4
Posted by Shandlar
33 ticks = 5.5/s

I dont understand about this. Means i proc 5.5times per second from a tornado? or?

33 ticks over 6 seconds of the life of a wicked wind energy twister = 5.5 hits against all targets in range every second, for 6 seconds.

Each 'hit' recovers exactly 12.5% of your life on hit.

Therefore we can calculate it out as;

5.5 (hits per second) * 12.5% (proc coefficient) * 1790 (life on hit) = 1231 Life per second per target hit per twister cast.

So if you are casting frost nova every 1.05 seconds against two targets for perm freeze, you will have 1.57 aps 'free' for casting twister (2.52 -0.95). 1.57 aps times 6 second duration = 9.42 twisters 'running' at a time.

9.42 * 2 targets * 1231 Life/s = 23200 life per second recovered at full wind up against two targets (like say a pair of ubers).

Like I said. ALOT! of LoH. Lawl.

10/10/2012 11:19 PMPosted by novice
At what aps that you start to cast more than 1 Nova per second? I remember you mentioned it before at 2.4

Don't quote me exacts cause I can't do the math right this moment. Rough estimates are;

3 Targets @ 50cc = 2.15 aps
2 Targets @ 55cc = 2.50 aps
1 Target @ 60cc = 3.35 aps

You don't need to be absolutely at the 1.05 second cast rate however. A 1.15 second rate is the same effect cause they can't both 'decide' to move and actually start moving within that 100ms. They can however cast frozen orbs, or arcane sentries, or pile desc on your !@#.
Breaking 2.74 has made a difference as far as my experimenting goes in 1.04. I thought the same about breaking 2.5, but this latest jump has been significantly better. That said, and again, this is 1.04 w/o the new freeze mechanics of 1.05, the windup takes so much time that I am really feeling a lag where the nerfed proc of LOH is killing me. Literally killing me if I am facing a (non-elite) Blood Clan Occultist backed by Spearmen in Arreat Crater.

3 APS with damage mitigation is achievable. But as Shandlar has noted, it is expensive to go for Armor/AR/IAS (while maintaining CC of course).

I'm with others of you who have recently dissuaded anyone from doing this if their gear is too far behind the curve. Its demoralizing to hit these points and reflect on the gold and time invested only to realize how drastic this nerf is.

It's all worth it though for the sake of "advanced wizard studies."

yeah i agree!

im at 2.85 aps in ptr, and the dif between 2.51 and 2.73 is huge on proc rate and loh returns. I bough some legacy zunni with ar and a vit cc lacuni in ptr. to test the speeds out, a t a loss of massive ehp, in terms of armour hp and ar. and i found i even died less at higher aps with less mitigation than with lower ps and higher mitigation, still dying too much in mp6 though... but recent changes in dmage are big anyways. Thing is i basically die to the same stuff with more or less mitigation, ranged shots, dots, frozen blast or getting hit bt 3-4 mobs at once... u know the !@#$, the difference is that with higher aps i recover the life much faster while if it killed me it usually would have killed me with higher mitigation aswell.

Using sns is quite interesting at mp6 hehe, always walking on a tight rope.

im going to miss my ptr char on next repatch, she is actually better in ptr than in live :(. Got a blackthornes pants drop with mf that i sold for 110 mil and am now on the verge to getting my first witching hour....
10/10/2012 11:51 PMPosted by Shandlar
9.42 * 2 targets * 1231 Life/s = 23200 life per second recovered at full wind up against two targets (like say a pair of ubers).

It proc that much? -_- i overkill my loh then lol
Understand your statement. thk you.
bump and sticked please
Sitting at 2.99 APS atm, which I already expected, but still painful to look at. To reach the 3 APS breakpoint, I need to upgrade either my Mempo, Witching Hour or Tal Rasha armor. I'm thinking about upgrading the armor with a Tal Rasha with +armor, but that's way out of my budget right now. I used most of my gold to upgrade my parts to what I have now.

Any other suggestions for an upgrade to reach 3 APS? Below is my current profile:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HolyTedMan-2257/hero/2677980
Sitting at 2.99 APS atm, which I already expected, but still painful to look at. To reach the 3 APS breakpoint, I need to upgrade either my Mempo, Witching Hour or Tal Rasha armor. I'm thinking about upgrading the armor with a Tal Rasha with +armor, but that's way out of my budget right now. I used most of my gold to upgrade my parts to what I have now.

Any other suggestions for an upgrade to reach 3 APS? Below is my current profile:

2.99 without or without Enchantress? I think you can wait till the next patch when the Mempo is fixed (rumored), so the price of 70-100 Intel Mempo will drop a bit. Easier to upgrade after that.
I'm done at >2.73 I just don't find next break point beneficial enough vs. mitigation loss of buying things like inna pants and stuff. I tested up to 3.3 in the PTR and it's a total glass cannon setup. 2.73 was already a massive expense while still retain 5000 base armor and 700 AR base and getting to next break point I'll never be able to afford most likly.

Besides with time warps and two cms you'll rock above 3 anyway at high MP.

My to do list has nothing to do with ias but mitigations from here on out.

- a new CC storm crow for 1000 LOH instead of 600 ~80m
- Add AR to my two rings for 820 AR instead of 700 ~200m
-if i can afford it some ice climbers for 200 more armor, 40 more AR, 150 more INT, and 3500 more HP. ~100m w/o MS 400 m with it

Above upgrade are 400m/800m if I want move speed on ice crawlers lol
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/12/2012 7:25 AM PDT
@novice
It's witout Enchantress, so I can use her to break the breakpoint, but problem is that I usually don't play solo.

If I'm lucky, I might be able to find a Chants wand that's a little faster. I have a 1.77 Chants wand and I calculated that even a 1.78 would be sufficient to achieve 3 APS. I think that's the least expensive way for now.
So how much apoc is actually needed? Should i aim for an ilvl63 wizard hat (for ~30apoc) or a "fixed" Mempo if it pushes me over a new breakpoint?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]