Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 vs. Diablo 3 Campaign Length

Torchlight 2 Elite Difficulty(selected) first play through - 65 hours, this includes all sidequests and all dungeons encountered

D3 Normal Difficulty(forced) first play through - 8 hours, this includes all places encountered without having to remake to re-roll for a chance to encounter rare event dungeons.

Now I know why I feel ripped off for D3's $59.99

Edit:
Past TL2's end campaign content -> Mapworks; Randomized dungeons with special effects with certain level specifications but not requirements to enter; some have requirements some are required to be unlocked by beating other maps' challenges. Also New Game + option that unveils new areas and hidden events that occur during day/night.

Past D3's end campaign content -> Next difficulty/Grind for level. no new content, just further features that should've been unlocked during first play through. Some monsters(elites champions etc.) gain some abilities which are just added on their previous difficulty's abilities id est, nothing new.

For $20 I get more features than $60 game. The value of the $20 one is much greater than the $60 in terms of what you get for what you paid.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 10/4/2012 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I finished TL2 veteran in 26 hours. That's through purely single player, with no re-rolling of the map meaning every monster slain stays dead, hence I did no farming or grinding whatsoever, just straight start to finish in one go. I explored almost all of the areas I encountered; I might've skipped a dungeon somewhere.

I don't know how long it took my first D3 playthrough, but my barb arrived at inferno at about the 40-hour mark. That averages about 13 hours per difficulty, with probably less for the easier ones and a little more for the harder ones. Still means TL2 has twice the length.
Reply Quote
Don't forget your character doesn't move at a snail's pace in TL2.
Reply Quote
Wow you guys rock at the Elite difficulty. Its taking me ages! Remember, not all of us are awesome at games like this. If your average gamer plays Elite I think its going to take longer. But Im just guessing.

I like both games and just finished playing my WD for a few hours. But I'll admit TL2 is far more polished then D3. D3 has so many game design flaws its ridiculous and 1.5 isnt going to fix it. Even if players do get more loot, they will eventually get sick of these same linear Acts.

Currently, I'm on my last character to hit 60. Its taken this long because I quit D3 over and over again. It just gets so repetitive. I really miss the random dungeons of past games. The linear story was the worst idea Blizz made IMO.

With TL2, I have all 4 characters currently being played and its been great. Zones get randomized enough that it makes it not so repetitive. And the bonus, no real story to follow if I don't care to follow it. Just give me dungeons and loot.

I really do hope Blizz get their act together with D3 but I just feel the game has been ruined from the ground up and little can fix it other then a full overhaul.
Reply Quote
I finished TL2 veteran in 26 hours. That's through purely single player, with no re-rolling of the map meaning every monster slain stays dead, hence I did no farming or grinding whatsoever, just straight start to finish in one go. I explored almost all of the areas I encountered; I might've skipped a dungeon somewhere.

I don't know how long it took my first D3 playthrough, but my barb arrived at inferno at about the 40-hour mark. That averages about 13 hours per difficulty, with probably less for the easier ones and a little more for the harder ones. Still means TL2 has twice the length.

If you want to make a fair comparison of game length, role a new toon on D3 and run it through normal on the clock. Mark time when after you kill Miss Diablo and you see the cut scene that tells you you've beaten Diablo 3.

Next, role a new T2 toon and run it through the entire game on casual difficulty. It'll take awhile if you run all the side quest's, probably at least 4 times as long as your D3 run. Be fair about it and stay out of the maps becuse D3 doesn't have an end game.

I'm on my 4th outlander build right now. I'd love to see someone crank out a D3 mod for TL2. LOL

edited to mention maps
Edited by Traveler#1226 on 10/5/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm on my 4th outlander build right now. I'd love to see someone crank out a D3 mod for TL2. LOL

I'm sure someone's doing it but it won't be within a few months or maybe even a year.
Reply Quote
[quote] I'd love to see someone crank out a D3 mod for TL2.

Now that would be something...
Reply Quote
hopefully a mod that just makes TL2 look like diablo.. and not diablo3..

More like D2 with better textures.

I plan to make a few dungeons for TL2 myself :). Gotta love the Torch editor
Reply Quote
I definitely want to try my hand at the TL2 editor once I have a little more free time.

On topic though, I got my first character through Veteran around the 30 hour mark. It was a berserker with whom I failed to think through my stat and skill choices properly, and so he ended up kind of mediocre. I want to start an embermage for my first shot at Elite difficulty -- wish me luck!
Edited by Dreigun#1369 on 10/10/2012 12:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I definitely want to try my hand at the TL2 editor once I have a little more free time.

On topic though, I got my first character through Veteran around the 30 hour mark. It was a berserker with whom I failed to think through my stat and skill choices properly, and so he ended up kind of mediocre. I want to start an embermage for my first shot at Elite difficulty -- wish me luck!

Best of luck to you, brutally hard... being a low hp glass cannon I was..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]