Diablo® III

I keep dying Nightmare Act 2

I have be dying a ridiculously numerous amount of time im not sure if im just bad or if i have bad gear. Any advice? Here is the build im using

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hewlette-1584/hero/25008415
Reply Quote
Well, i am FAR from a perfect barb--i mean, look at my main, I'm still in Hell!--but since i do not see any pro level 60's around, i will give it my best shot.

I am not sure what "optimal" DPS and health are for Nightmare, i am just running on what i have been using. I left nightmare a few days ago so its still pretty fresh.

Anyway, on your gear i see a lot of intelligence and dexterity, which are pretty much worthless for a barb. You socketed ruby to make up for the lack of strength. My strategy has always been to socket primarily with Amythists for the health bonus, and level up my rubies for weapons. I know that gear is impossible to find nowadays, but with Nerves of Steel you can get away with losing some armor value in favor of some STR and Vit. (case and point are my stupid act 4 normal gloves) More life=a barb that refuses to die=a barb that can hack on enemies for a long while.

As far as skills, i prefer to use Hammer of the Ancients over Whirlwind. Actually, i use Hammer with Thunderstrike over everything else on the board. With the Thunder-strike rune, every time you kill somebody, everyone else gets stunned. This is great because with the Hammer hitting like a freight train on its own, against trash you are guaranteed to be fighting monsters that are stunned 98% of the time. The stun also affects elties, so smashing a skeleton under a big scary elite will shut him up for a minute. With him shut up, you can make a run for the hills, or go ape crap on him and pop another stun on the snotty fallen that comes in to help him. Eventually, it ends up in WAY more stunlock than you can get with Ground stomp when in the Wilderness.

During Nightmare, i was using either Charge with relentless assault (the rune that makes it so the cool down resets when you hit 5 ppl) or ignore pain over ground stomp. Ground stomp was great during Normal, but i found in Nightmare that it had too much cool down and too little duration to keep the enemies down for long. The glory of using Charge is that you can drive into the mob of monsters, weaken them, turn around and charge back out, and repeat for brutal mauling. It also gives you a quick escape from some nasty spells like Arcane and desecrator. Having problems with a wasp or summoner? Charge right through his meat shield and kill him! Mobility makes it great. Ignore pain is good because....well...if you are ignoring pain, you are free to go crazy and put a lot of hurt on the monsters before you feel the hurt.

People LOVE earthquake, and it does a ton of damage, but with a cool down, i do not like it. Yeah sure, when you pop it it skips a fight, but there are too many situations when it does not accomplish much. People will say it is ultimate, it might be, but i am not a fan. I prefer War Cry for the armor buff, and in two levels when you hit 41, it gives you a sizable HP bonus as well!

As far as passives, i like ruthless and nerves of steel, but pound of flesh is iffy. Some people swear by it. I am not one of them. I like weapons master, because between it and Ruthless, your hammer of the ancients becomes GODLY, and since it is my main ability, thats what i focus on.

You badly need new weapons as well, are those the Bastard Swords you craft in Act 4 Normal? I am sorry, but my monk is using better and he is 6 levels under you. Once again, i know that finding gear is brutal, since all my barb rolls is Demon Hunter gear, but you need an upgrade. Try a 2-h weapon with a lot of vitality, (i started finding 2-handers in act 2 nightmare that gave somewhere around 50-100 vitality, which with nerves of steel made the lack of a shield hurt less) or craft the rare Ono from the Blacksmith. The Ono is the 1-handed axe, and it rolls some pretty good stats sometimes. IF you are still dying, maybe go for a shield. I am usually not one for charity, but i will look in my stash and see if i have one of my Barb's old weapons laying around, and find a way to get that to you.

Well, that's all i have to say. Maybe someone else can give you a professional opinion. Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
Really appreciate the reply, im a pretty big noob when it comes to stuff like this. so i will definatly look into everything you pointed out
Reply Quote
Stick a ruby in your helm. The level will help you more that a small percentage of your small health. War Cry is also a very good defensive spell to help carry you through. Leap with Iron impact will save your life a lot too.
Reply Quote
put 2 star amethyst into both weapon and u can survive nightmare already.
Reply Quote
If you have issues with survivability, you should use a shield with high vit & armor. Then use the vit = +armor passive. Shouldn't be a problem after that
Reply Quote
Ellican can i be your friend? its very nice of u to help a fellow low lv barb.
/clap
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 09:16 PMPosted by Hewlette
I have be dying a ridiculously numerous amount of time im not sure if im just bad or if i have bad gear. Any advice? Here is the build im using

Add me, i will power level you anyway i can... but im only free on Friday(qatar, middle east time). anyway, even in hell mode just give me a shout.

Don't worry it's free and lucky u, 2 of us are willing to help you... pm when i'm in game.
Edited by RazorX#2330 on 10/9/2012 2:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ellican can i be your friend? its very nice of u to help a fellow low lv barb.
/clap

Thanks! Being a lower-leveled player myself, I like helping people where i can, since It boosts my hopes that someone will help me when I ask.
If you are serious about the friend request, go ahead and send it! I'll accept.
Reply Quote

I am going to say its a combination of gear and the skills you are using. Your damage is very low and your life steal isn't that high. I would guess the mobs are chewing you faster than your steal can replace. Spend some time looking in the auction house for strength/vitality combos. More lifesteal with sockets devoted to damage would be fairly cheap. I think you can get much more out of your gear for probably under 50k gold.

There are some different skills you can use to help you out.
Hammer of the ancients with thunderstrike. The stun is very good for not getting hit.

Since you will be replacing rend I would recommend using cleave.

Battle Rage shout is 30% damage increase.

Inspiring presence is a lazy passive. Weapons master or ruthless will get you some more damage.
Reply Quote
Get weapons with stats on them. High vit/strength. If you can get to about 8k hp, you can cruise through nightmare and halfway through hell. Your hp will go up a lot each level, so you won't really need to add more vitality again for a long time. This is equivalent to 530 vit total at your current level. I think you can get weapons with 70ish vitality each, which will get you close.
Reply Quote
hey if u want i think i have a lvl 60 2 hand sword with -15 lvl requirement on it that can be used at lvl 45, it's what i used from 45-60 and its got like 500dps. should help u lvl real quick. just send me an invite and i can meet u in game, also can give u some better gems to use.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]