Diablo® III

Blue: Bonus Item

When a monster dies, the first thing we do is decide whether it's going to drop loot at all.

Most monsters -- like say your everyday shambling zombies -- have a roughly 30% chance to drop loot. The exact percentage, however, varies from monster to monster (for example, the Tormented Stingers in Act III have a much lower chance because they spawn in large packs and are easy to kill).

When you kill a monster in Inferno on MP1 or higher, if you pass the initial roll to obtain loot, you will also get a second roll to get an additional piece of loot. The "bonus item" chance for each MP level is detailed [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/FPA71EB165JZ1349891151345.jpg?v=0"]here[/url]. A few monsters are exempt from the bonus loot, but we tried to put it on the vast majority of normal monsters, and will probably add it to more if we like how the system plays out.

Also, just to be clear, the bonus drop applies to Normal monsters only. We wanted Monster Power to provide players with extra loot rolls, and (since Champions and Rares are already guaranteed to drop multiple items) Normal monsters seemed like the best place for us to add that mechanic in.

Sorry blue, i dont think it details it at all on your link, unless i am mistaken.

It doesnt even say inferno on it, and nowhere does it list bonus chance.

Thanks for the explaination though, i appreciate it!

Look at this link
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/MQRC9PZ3CZ1K1349891151349.jpg?v=0
Bonus item row.
I really think this is a very big or even huge bonus. Imagine there are 20 white mobs on the screen. In MP10, you are guaranteed to get 20 drops. With high MF, lots of them will be rare or even legendary. Imagine thousands of thousands white mobs in each act. You may get thousands of rare in MP10 each run. I am not sure whether I understand it correctly.
If a white mob guarantee a drop in MP10, considering the number of white mobs, we may get tons of lv 63 rare and many legendaries each run.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/12/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Prozac
I figured she had linked the wrong chart by accident.

And you were correct! It was a good follow-up question to ask. :)
Reply Quote
Seems like a decent bonus. It just takes way too long to kill elites in MP10. Sorry...need more incentive than that.
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Raining
I really think this is a very big or even huge bonus. Imagine there are 20 white mobs on the screen. In MP10, you are guaranteed to get 20 drops.

False. 20 mobs at a 30% drop chance means 6 drops. At MP 10, it means 12 drops. You have to pass the base drop/nodrop roll first in order to be eligible for the bonus item roll.
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Prozac
Seems like a decent bonus. It just takes way too long to kill elites in MP10. Sorry...need more incentive than that.

Not for me, i think this will make mp10 farming great!

30% of time i get 2 items instead of 1. I can kill trash just fine, its the redic elites affix combos that annoy me.
Reply Quote
The "bonus item" chance for each MP level is detailed here.

Blue, that's the wrong link!

the correct link is:
https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/MQRC9PZ3CZ1K1349891151349.jpg?v=0
Reply Quote
I believe the pertinent information is the following:
"...if you pass the initial roll to obtain loot, you will also get a second roll to get an additional piece of loot."

This means that you get a 30% chance to get 1 item. IF that roll succeeds and the monster drops an item, a second roll is done with a % chance equal to what is described in the chart (1% at MP1 up to 100% at MP10).

What does that mean? 1% extra items from normal mobs at MP1 and 100% (double) the items at MP10 from normal mobs.
Reply Quote
As an archon wizard I prefer to just blast through everything, and around MP4/5 is where that slows down a lot. I think that's where I'll hang out. I'm still wondering if MP0 would be more efficient. It's basically zero risk, all one-shots, and allows you to go more offensive.
Reply Quote
When a monster dies, the first thing we do is decide whether it's going to drop loot at all.

Most monsters -- like say your everyday shambling zombies -- have a roughly 30% chance to drop loot. The exact percentage, however, varies from monster to monster (for example, the Tormented Stingers in Act III have a much lower chance because they spawn in large packs and are easy to kill).

When you kill a monster in Inferno on MP1 or higher, if you pass the initial roll to obtain loot, you will also get a second roll to get an additional piece of loot. The "bonus item" chance for each MP level is detailed [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/MQRC9PZ3CZ1K1349891151349.jpg?v=0"]here[/url]. A few monsters are exempt from the bonus loot, but we tried to put it on the vast majority of normal monsters, and will probably add it to more if we like how the system plays out.

Also, just to be clear, the bonus drop applies to Normal monsters only. We wanted Monster Power to provide players with extra loot rolls, and (since Champions and Rares are already guaranteed to drop multiple items) Normal monsters seemed like the best place for us to add that mechanic in.

Lylirra, please confirm:

This means normal monsters in MP10 will drop either 0 loot or 2+ loot, correct?
Edited by Zapados#1900 on 10/12/2012 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lylirra, please confirm:

This means normal monsters in MP10 will drop either 0 loot or 2+ loot, correct?

0 or 2. That's the only way to interpret it.
Edited by Mith#1762 on 10/12/2012 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Prozac
As an archon wizard I prefer to just blast through everything, and around MP4/5 is where that slows down a lot. I think that's where I'll hang out. I'm still wondering if MP0 would be more efficient. It's basically zero risk, all one-shots, and allows you to go more offensive.

MP0 is totally donk, I assume you mean MP1.
Reply Quote
I really wish the bonus items and well, pretty much everything awesome inferno gets to drop rates and loot quality would effect NM and hell too. It's a real grueling experience trying to go from 30-60 without using the AH. I deleted all the gear off my character and I'm waiting till they fix diablo up before I come back and play through it again, but inferno gets all the love that NM and Hell need too =(
One time, I went through a completely naked run of NM ACT 1 wearing nothing but a sword I bought from the vendor in the beginning. It took till mid ACT 2 before I had an item in each slot, upgrading from nothing equipped at all and just trying to get +dps or +vit gear rather than +health pickup radius and junk.
Reply Quote
I really wish the bonus items and well, pretty much everything awesome inferno gets to drop rates and loot quality would effect NM and hell too. It's a real grueling experience trying to go from 30-60 without using the AH. I deleted all the gear off my character and I'm waiting till they fix diablo up before I come back and play through it again, but inferno gets all the love that NM and Hell need too =(
One time, I went through a completely naked run of NM ACT 1 wearing nothing but a sword I bought from the vendor in the beginning. It took till mid ACT 2 before I had an item in each slot, upgrading from nothing equipped at all and just trying to get +dps or +vit gear rather than +health pickup radius and junk.

Get a hellfire ring for your leveling characters. They can use it even at lvl 1.
Reply Quote
I think it did use to apply to Normal/NM and Hell (I have screenshots) but they changed it, apparently it was originally intended for Inferno. The amount of items you get is truly bonkers.
Reply Quote
Pretty sure that MP1 vs MP10 isn't even double legendaries/sets unless you completely skip elite packs. My point is that I could have 1,000,000 damage per second (which is not even obtainable) and MP1 would still be more efficient, by far too.

I don't think more loot is the solution to incentivize playing in higher monster powers.

For efficiency, monster power has removed any incentive for me to acquire top level gear. The rewards need to be real rewards not just magic find which has insane diminishing returns and a chance to get extra loot drops. People who farm the best items mostly hunt elite packs and bonus drops do not even effect them.
Reply Quote
Pretty sure that MP1 vs MP10 isn't even double legendaries/sets unless you completely skip elite packs. My point is that I could have 1,000,000 damage per second (which is not even obtainable) and MP1 would still be more efficient, by far too.

I don't think more loot is the solution to incentivize playing in higher monster powers.

For efficiency, monster power has removed any incentive for me to acquire top level gear. The rewards need to be real rewards not just magic find which has insane diminishing returns and a chance to get extra loot drops. People who farm the best items mostly hunt elite packs and bonus drops do not even effect them.

1m unbuffed isn't possible, true. 1m buffed I believe is possible though. Not sure if it requires a WD or anything but I believe it is possible. Regardless, lower MP levels are much more worth doing. More guaranteed drops from MP 10 but it is far outweighed by the health and damage they gain.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 10/12/2012 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Omfg he LIVES.

I agree completely, btw.

Al - what are your thoughts on hellfire, do you think the change was overkill? Would it intrigue you enough to come back if it was worth farming? Just curious.

Or do you think something more drastic is necessary? Suggestions?
Reply Quote
I think a different model for monster powers would be better.

Say at MP1 all items (including legendaries/sets) have a 1% chance to spawn an extra affixe. Example: SOJ can spawn with a random affixe/Natalya's Ring gets 4 random affixe.

Then maybe scale it up 5% each monster power increment. This is a rough idea but it needs to be a unique reward that has progression in some sense. Magic find's diminishing returns are too large at high levels and I literally don't even consider it a part of a reward (because that's the reality of how much it helps). Since I get 75+% of my legendaries/sets from boss packs the bonus drop loot is not incentivizing at all either. MP1 for me.

Hellfire ring can be good but it'll probably take an insane amount of tries to generate a good one. Ultimately, I don't see myself doing it unless im just bored.

Both systems, Monster Power and Infernal Machine seem really sloppy and remind me of when Inferno first came out and legendaries first came out. They are just not worth it.
Reply Quote
Just in case you guys didn't totally get Lylirra's blue post =) It's worded a little weird.

In MP 10, when you kill a white mob, the chances of it dropping one piece of loot is about 30%. IF it happens to drop that first piece of loot, it now has a 100% chance of rolling a bonus item. This extra bonus item is STILL at a drop chance of 30%, like the first piece of loot. So if you see a mob drop one piece of loot and your wondering why it didn't drop the second, this is why. Also note, this bonus item chance is only effective on white mobs at the moment, elites still drop the same amount of loot. As you go down the MP levels, the chance of a bonus item roll goes down. Because of this, you will see a significant loss in loot drops on white mobs. Thus, this makes MP 10 still the best to farm, if you can kill the mobs quickly and effectively of course. If not, playing on a slightly lower MP, such as 7,8, or 9 will still yield decent white mob drops.

Hope this clears a few last questions about bonus items.

Make sure you check out
http://www.twitch.tv/google337 at around 5pm pacific

Google will be doing MP 10 to test the bonus item drop rates and viewers can see the drops in action. I will be voice commentating from time to time on the stream as well.

EDIT: Some footage from last night's stream on MP 10
http://www.twitch.tv/google337/b/335254288
Reply Quote

When you kill a monster in Inferno on MP1 or higher, if you pass the initial roll to obtain loot, you will also get a second roll to get an additional piece of loot. The "bonus item" chance for each MP level is detailed [url="https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/MQRC9PZ3CZ1K1349891151349.jpg?v=0"]here[/url]. A few monsters are exempt from the bonus loot, but we tried to put it on the vast majority of normal monsters, and will probably add it to more if we like how the system plays out.

YES! Sweet sweet clarification.
I made a thread about this right after I read the blog post:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794643352

Looks like the people who commented in my thread were correct...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]