Diablo® III

Pick up radius needs LOVE (1)

• INTRO:
  • This is the first, of many more ideas i want to share with the developers and my fellow gamers in order to promote healthy, simple and constructive solutions to improve the general experience of this game ( or at least ill try my best )

My main goal here is to construct with the community solid ideas worthy enough to be considered and passed on the development team and to give to this flaws we encounter every day some LOVE.

Its very possible for an instance there is quite already a very huge list of features that need way more LOVE than the ones we may discuss here, but the style here is grabbing simple things one at a time that could create a big or decent enough difference in our gaming experience.. hell , better yet to make this happen on the next future patch why not..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• PROBLEMS:
  • Pick up radius attribute is a VERY very underrated stat that makes our farming lifes a lot easier, simply because we dont have to spin around 3 to 4 times on each gold/ health globe drop like a rabid animal in order to pick it up and keep going!
    But as i see things now, incorporating this stat in our gear creates 2 specific situations:

A- Gear balancing difficulty/ Gold piles small radius:

In this thread we initially pointed out getting pick up radius through gear as problematic (whether obtaining it can get pricey or obtaining it can involve some downgrade to other more important stats in the gameplay), under this thinking this innitialy lead to suggest to ease out pick up radius of this balancing equations to players ( for instance finding this stat in other additional sources other than gear such as a granted default pick up radius value )

However players have corrected that adding ( or not ) Pick up radius to your gear could be considered only a difficulty and not a problem to address per se.
    Also players have pointed out the counter part problem of oversimplifiying gear choices, which could potentially lead to very linear desicions.

In addition some players have reported some graphic/lagg related issues that prevents players with 0 pick up radius to grab gold piles even if they are right standing on them ( resulting after some spinning and movement around in a succesful pick up)

B- Health globes inneficiency:

Also , an additional question is encountered ¿With great pick up radius comes great responsability? after researching on the forum i realized this problem ive experienced too.. And its that when this stat is big enough you turn into a health globe magnet and with the current health globe behaviour this ironically becomes a negative effect since it creates situations with lots of waste on their usage, such as picking accidentaly a whole health globe at 99% hp that you could have used later for a better strategy practice.

All in all most ( or some ) agree is a desirable stat worth to be included in our gear choices and that it would be good in general to adress this stat in other different ways , wich we will cover shortly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTIONS:
    For A-Gear balancing difficulty:

IDEA 0- By simplicity, a pick up radius value could be granted by default to 3 yards thus helping slightly with comfort of gold pickup, also still avoiding the "magnet" problem and ease a little the gear choices.

Also the natural radius of gold piles could be increased by 1 or 2 yards , since theres some graphic/lagg related issues that prevents players with 0 pick them up right when standing on them
    ---------------
    In addition or modification to this idea , as pointed out by the player Polaris, we could play with the pick up radius mechanics in 2 ways:

1- Pick up radius collects only gold and potions by default

( reason is that it doesn't matter what timing you pickup potions or gold, the only thing where the timing of when you pick it up is important is health globes)

2- Pick up radius could be augmented/modified to collect aditional things through gear stats

Any useful things that players agree and find appropiate to collect,such as globes,gems,tomes etc. and why not even items ( blue,rares,legendary) this would contribute to gear diversity choices, and also would ease a lot the health globe timing problems we mentioned before.

This is the most elegant solution we have found so far, please feel free to discuss it

IDEA 1- Pick up radius could trascend from just being a gear only stat , to a permanent acquired stat through paragon leveling too, one example could be the following:

For each 10 paragon levels 1 pick up yard is permanently granted
    lvl 10 Paragon ( +1 total Pick up radius)
    lvl 20 Paragon ( +2 total Pick up radius)
    lvl 100 Paragon ( +10 total Pick up radius)

These values could be tuned of course ( even addind a cap to the stat), but is an example of fixing this problem the same way they fixed Magic Find problem through paragons.

IDEA 2- As an alternative solution, Pick up radius could be obtained temporarily trough NV stacks as a reward, one example could be the following:

For each NV stack 1 pick up yard is granted, 5 NV stacks grant a 5 Pick up radius bonus this again could work under the pertinent restrictions.

I like all the ideas, and im open to discuss them, what is important to understand here is if wheter or not this kind of approach can lead to exploits or game breaking situations, what do i think ? hell no , i dont see how at this moment, if you do think so please feel free to jump in and help me.

SOLUTIONS:
    For B-Health globes inneficiency:

IDEA 1- We could add some rules to the health globe behaviour to work in a smarter fashion, for an instance that they wont be automatically picked up if they cant at least heal 50% of its healing capacity ( so if a health globe can heal for a total 10 k hp, it wont be picked up until you have at least 5 k hp available to be filled.. anything less wouldnt trigger the pick up), and at the same time to only allow 1 healling process at a time ( avoiding picking up multiple globles at once ).

This approach can get very tricky to get it right, again its all in the values, but the idea here is to add some rules that help reduce the waste on their effects.

IDEA 2- Bind the pick up radius effect to a key, why not letting the player decide when to become a magnet and when not ? the normal state of the player (Pick up OFF) would be as it is now with 0 pick up radius and having to step on every object to pick it up succesfully, and when needed ( Pick up ON ) u trigger the full effect of the current equiped pick up radius, thus giving us a a little choice and perhaps a few tactics back.

All in all , this problem may be the trickiest one to solve and again these are just suggestions i came up with after farming for some time now, if you think there are any potential problems feel free to let me know and we can work them out.

CONCLUTIONS:

If you liked the ideas so far please Remember the forum TRINITY ! Comment..Thumb and Sticky ! :D so this can be seen and commented by more players !

Im sure we can work this out in an appealing and elegant way !!
    Remember this post is for you and for me, lets stop the Hatred around the forums and give a little love to the things we would really like ! one at a time ..

Peace !
    Edited by Colt#2370 on 11/9/2012 1:21 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Reserved for discussion*
    Edited by Colt#2370 on 10/13/2012 2:42 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Lylirra:

If you'd like to comment on systems, class designs, or specific mechanics, that's cool -- just be sure to do so in a way that not only explains what your issue is, but how you think it could be addressed by our development team.

@Lylirra do you think my petition was correctly done ? could i get at least 1 reply ?
    Reply Quote
    lol...an easier solution, extended pick up radius only work on gold, not on globes...
    Reply Quote
    reserved. a lot of other things are wrong with this game.

it's up for debate tho. i mean who really wants gold and potions to swarm to you a la Kingdom Hearts?
    Reply Quote
    I agree that the stat is way underrated. A simple solution is to just give a base of 3m. If the player decides to add a massive increase to that such as 40m radius, then that decision should be on the player and the negative effects (health globes) need to be accepted.

With a 3m radius you don't need to be right on top of the gold/globe to pick it up. It just makes playing more enjoyable for people who don't have pickup radius on their gear at that moment and it doesnt negate gear bonuses.
    Reply Quote
    not everyone likes pickup radius. i try to avoid it, so i can strategically save health globes for later. if it was attached to paragon levels, i would not be a happy camper.
    Reply Quote
    Excellent presentation. I love Idea1A and Idea2B. Although I would make it every 5 levels = 1 pickup. Getting to 100 Paragon is very very difficult, and I don't think 20 pickup radius should be seen as "WOW THATS TOO OP". I mean, Paragon 100 is very, VERY hard to get.
    Reply Quote
    I like the idea of pick up being a default 3 yard stat , should help a little without causing the "magnet" problems on globes.. still it feels to me we could do something else about it... ill add it on my post
    thx for comments !
    Edited by Colt#2370 on 10/19/2012 12:11 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    A- Gear sacrifice / balancing problems :
    its hard enough to find the correct stat upgrades th...

B- Health globes inneficiency:
    With great pick up radius comes great respon...

You can't just ask for a buff out of blue like that when there's no 'balancing concern' nor 'bug' nor 'problem'. What you have described is a 'difficulty' not an issue, a difficulty that is there so players have something to work for.

Pick up radius is a totally different thing to Plvl and MF because remember the whole plvl to replace MF was originated from the MF gear swap issue (and the fact that overwhelmingly large number of players ignored MF yet crying about low drop rate). Nothing analogous to PU.

i believe is already doable ( but perhaps pricey !), many players have achieved this.. but i feel in overall this kind of stat could be adressed on a different way wich i will cover shortly

This is pretty much saying the few have it, so the rest must have it for free as well and it's not a valid reason at all. Since when 'pricey' is an issue? Stat, attack speed, CC and CD items are pricey too. Down this path you may all play D2 singleplayer with a character editor too.

I do like a default 3 PU though as it solves issues caused by lag.
    Edited by Contra#1729 on 10/19/2012 12:27 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    make sure dh ferret gets this..that pet sucks at picking up gold...gets stuck on stacks all the time
    Reply Quote
    Reintroduce the enchanting NPC, and let us tweak gear for material costs. I'd love to drop off the extra, useless stats for little bonuses, such as Radius.

In doing so, if you switch stats, let the roll be lower. For example, a high str roll would be 80-100. A high Radius roll would be 5-6. So if you swap off 80 str, give something like.. 1-2 Radius only.

Makes it so you can't swap high stats for different high stats, giving perfect rolls. OR split up stats into categories. For example, attributes such as Str or Int, etc in 1 category, and another category would involve Pickup, Health, etc, and you can only trade stats with another category, and in doing so, you receive the new stat in a lower roll. This process is irreversable, and new stats get "locked" (the stat shows up in italics or an alternate color)
    Edited by Zalmoxes#6135 on 10/19/2012 12:38 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    @Contra

10/19/2012 12:26 AMPosted by Contra
    You can't just ask for a buff out of blue like that when there's no 'balancing concern' nor 'bug' nor 'problem'. What you have described is a 'difficulty' not an issue, a difficulty that is there so players have something to work for.

Ive stated it pretty clear already

10/13/2012 12:41 AMPosted by Colt
    there is quite already a very huge list of features that need way more LOVE than the ones we may discuss here, but the style here is grabbing simple things one at a time that could create a big or decent enough difference in our gaming experience

I dont want to fix the game , just to achieve simple improvement suggestions that can cause a decent result altogheter, and since this stat is simple , desirable ( for some ) and perhaps underlooked i tought it would be a good example to start with.

I believe this kind of fine requests that are not directly related bugs or balancing in a game really do make some impact at the long run, say for instance highlighting legendary drops ( wich helped color blinded people ) or look for similar feature for items on AH ( wich saves a little time searching) , this kind of things are what i would like to find and suggest in these posts
    Edited by Colt#2370 on 10/19/2012 1:48 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Seriously! What about just pick up gold at with extended radius, not the gloves? would that solve everything :D
    Reply Quote
    Eureka! I found the solution!

Let the current affix of pickup radius ONLY affect globes and allow a different stat for gold only pickup radius from paragon leveling that you CAN'T get from gear. That way people who want to pickup gold will need 20-30 paragon levels to be really happy with it and you can still get the pickup radius for globes for whatever reason. I think this would actually help with the gold farm bots as well.
    Reply Quote
    10/19/2012 12:33 AMPosted by Zalmoxes
    Reintroduce the enchanting NPC, and let us tweak gear for material costs. I'd love to drop off the extra, useless stats for little bonuses, such as Radius.

This sounds interesting to me , forging items and tweaking stats on them could add some very interesting gameplay to the blacksmith with the proper restrictions and rules you could finally feel like you are actually crafting something special and made to order .. Blacksmith mechanics are very limited right now in my opinion and deserve some kind of improvement i agree.

However this specific idea could become a whole new mechanic and get very complex so it would need a lot of thought and user opinions wich kind of exceeds the scope of this posts.. but im glad u mentioned it
    Edited by Colt#2370 on 10/19/2012 1:52 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    10/19/2012 01:37 AMPosted by BigReaper
    Let the current affix of pickup radius ONLY affect globes and allow a different stat for gold only pickup radius from paragon leveling that you CAN'T get from gear. That way people who want to pickup gold will need 20-30 paragon levels to be really happy with it and you can still get the pickup radius for globes for whatever reason

This sound viable too, ill add it to the suggestions when some other players comment on it :P
    Reply Quote
    actually with 1.05 i do not find pick up radius that important anymore.

a) i used to run with 27 pickup rad until upgrades necessitate sacrificing that stat.. so I'm left with 5.

b) you only use it to pick up gold, health globes are really incidental since they aren't a constant dependable.

c) however, now that every single yellow is worth 1k-2k. you literally have to walk over and pick it up (in case its a superb roll ), thus you can just about ignore gold piles now and pick up yellow gear instead.
    Reply Quote
    lol people still pick up gold?

Only thing it might be useful for would be WD
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]