Diablo® III

Blizzard: An Idea For Diablo 3

What I am proposing in this post is a way to keep more people interested in playing D3 and at the same time, add more potential revenue for Blizzard, add some needed positive PR to the company and create a partial solution to the gold sink problem. Also, it will leave the existing game intact.

I think there are many other players like myself who feel there is nothing left to do after finishing the game. Sure there are those who continue to farm endlessly after completing the campaign to make some money off the GAH/RMAH, but there is another set of players who don't see the point in it, and aren't interested in that aspect of the game.

So, I propose an addition to the GAH or RMAH (or both?)

A donation option.

Basically, when a player enters the AH to enter items for sale, have a button to check to make it a ''donation item'. When that item appears on the AH for sale, it can have a donation mark, so the AH purchasers can know they're helping a charity, OR they can just be mashed in with the regular items so a purchaser doesn't know.
That would be your call, Blizzard. I think the second option is best as it would allow the people who would rather keep the money for themselves to continue as is without worrying that buyers won't be exclusively bidding on donation items.

The normal fee blizzard charges for all of the other auctions should stay intact so that the revenue stream will continue as it is (and IMO probably grow).

You folks at Blizzard could choose the charity yourselves, change it up once in a while, or have a few options available to choose from player side.

www.redcross.org - american red cross

www.salvationarmy.org - salvation army

www.cancer.org - american cancer society

www.wish.org - make a wish foundation

www.autism-society.org - autism society

www.charitywater.org - charity: water

to name a few potential candidates. Many more are available, of course.

I know that setting up an implementing an addition like this is a crapload of work. I'm a floorlayer, so I am not schooled in what would have to take place behind the scenes.
I DO believe it would be worthwhile.

I cannot speak for any other D3 players, but in my case, this would bring fun into this game. And having a sale go through to a cause helping others would ROCK.

Blizzard: Thanks for listening.

I hope other forum members will critique this post and add to, remove, & change the ideas within. Or, tell me I suck. Or, whatever. :)

Cheers
Edited by Otis#1467 on 10/12/2012 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like this idea.
Reply Quote
I 'liked' it too

It would be neat to be able to donate to a worthy cause every now and then when I feel dead on the inside. Plus, Blizz would be able to use it as a tax deduction.

Off topic, but you said you finished the game. You appear to have one level 60 barb, try to beat the game with all the other heroes and do it all over again in Hardcore >:D Then you get to say you truly finished this game :P
Edited by Mock2Charles#1423 on 10/12/2012 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 06:31 PMPosted by yodagreat
I like this idea.
Thank you for taking the time to read it, Yoda!
This wouldn't be for everyone. I know there are also a lot of people who sell items to help them survive IRL. But, that's why it would be optional & anonymous.
Reply Quote
The only problem is: is my money really going to charity? IF so, how many percent? Don't wana do like slavation army, 20 percent goes to santa.....
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Mock2Charles
Off topic, but you said you finished the game. You appear to have one level 60 barb, try to beat the game with all the other heroes and do it all over again in Hardcore >:D Then you get to say you truly finished this game :P

Part of this idea is selfish.

I've essentially lost my desire to play more. This would add true 'end game' (from my personal perspective) and reason for me to try some more classes and, UGH --- HARDCORE O-0 :)
Reply Quote
Hi! I support this idea!

The greed = win element kinda makes the game ugly
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 06:40 PMPosted by yodagreat
The only problem is: is my money really going to charity? IF so, how many percent? Don't wana do like slavation army, 20 percent goes to santa.....

This is the stuff blizzard would have to work out. But for me, the idea is the portion that would normally go to the auctioneer would go to (insert charity).

ps. Salvation Army is another good one.
Reply Quote
Hi! I support this idea!

The greed = win element kinda makes the game ugly

Not my cup of tea either. This kind of thing would certainly change MY tune about the Auction House.

Everything would be exactly the same for the min/maxers and the AH $$ Farmers. And that's fine. Just looking for another option for some of us.
Reply Quote
I have decided. If there is this donation thing, and if the percentage is 100 percent (minus overhead cost of course), I will donate 50 percent of all my profit margin.
Reply Quote
I like this idea, and support it.

Reply Quote
10/12/2012 06:52 PMPosted by yodagreat
I have decided. If there is this donation thing, and if the percentage is 100 percent (minus overhead cost of course), I will donate 50 percent of all my profit margin.

Rather than do that, just choose an auction once in a while. That would probably keep it simpler on Blizzards end.

No need to donate everything you auction. Make some personal too. Don't have to stop making money completely :)
Reply Quote
Don't really understand.

Why don't you just put your items on the RMAH, put it in your paypal, and then donate it to charity yourself?

I feel like this is an idea that can end poorly (i.e. Blizz not actually donating the money to charity or donating it to a charity that you may not like)

It's not like theres anything preventing you from donating now. Its probably better that you do this on your own than trust Blizzard.

There are some streamers who are raising money for charity. You could always help them out
Reply Quote
I like this idea, and support it.

Appreciated, Six. Doing something like this would really boost Blizzard's profile, I think.
Reply Quote
Don't really understand.

Why don't you just put your items on the RMAH, put it in your paypal, and then donate it to charity yourself?

I feel like this is an idea that can end poorly (i.e. Blizz not actually donating the money to charity or donating it to a charity that you may not like)

It's not like theres anything preventing you from donating now. Its probably better that you do this on your own than trust Blizzard.

There are some streamers who are raising money for charity. You could always help them out

Don't wana lose the cut from blizzard. Plus I like to feel I did something while playing a game.
Reply Quote
Don't really understand.

We would have to trust Blizzard to be on the level, for sure. I think they would be. They'd have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Also, I understand the idea of doing a donation the way you described instead. But if the process were more streamlined, and easily available as they've already done, more people would be likely to use it.
Reply Quote
This is an idea sprung from a discussion in this thread if anyone's curious... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6758676320?page=22#433

The idea isn't new. There was a similar discussion a few months ago. It wasn't integrated with the AH though.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 10/12/2012 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm sure that Blizzard already makes donations to charities, I know they have gave away free games to places like Make a Wish foundation along with other stuff. Most of my mail is from charity organizations.
Reply Quote
10/12/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Kookymunster
I'm sure that Blizzard already makes donations to charities, I know they have gave away free games to places like Make a Wish foundation along with other stuff. Most of my mail is from charity organizations.

Perhaps they do. I was just brainstorming something that might keep some other players and myself interested in the game. More options & choices to a game basically devoid of either. That's all. My mail is the same.
Reply Quote
After finding out how much money goes to into research after donating to certain organizations I won't be supporting this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]