Diablo® III

Diablo 3, failed to download a necessary file

My launcher is stuck at 0.0% and after waiting forever, it gives me a 'failed to download a necessary file' error. Anyone know what I can do to patch?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
HollabackGuy,

Try it a few times. It happened to me here at work even and I just had to try it again. Running the game as an admin may help too. To do that, right click the game icon and select that option from the choices. (assuming Win7 or Vista)
Reply Quote
check out the first part of this post:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5870687669
Reply Quote
Hm, been running as administrator for awhile now, I keep trying just cause I'm impatient.
Reply Quote
Bump, this is frustrating, tried restarting, my download patch is directing to the right server. Would really like help with this.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Try going in the Diablo III folder and deleting Diablo III.tfil, Diablo III.mfil and the Updates folder. If that fails, do you have trouble downloading torrent files? Because 'Diablo III.tfil' is a torrent file and the launcher needs to download that file.
Reply Quote
Deleted the two files and the folder, it's still stuck at initializing at 0%
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
10/16/2012 04:25 PMPosted by HollabackGuy
Deleted the two files and the folder, it's still stuck at initializing at 0%

How long do you have to wait until you get the error? Around 10 minutes?
Reply Quote
It takes about 5 minutes, just alil less. I appreciate the help, thank you for the suggestions, I feel like I'm doing something about this.
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
5minutes probably means the Agent is up to date but the Launcher isn't. Either way, for the actual error ("Failed to download a required file"), manually downloading the torrent file(Diablo III.tfil) should help:

http://patchup.info/d3/tfil/NA/

If the launcher starts downloading after that it means it was indeed something blocking that file that was causing the issue. And if you want the launcher to finish initializing quicker, you need to update the launcher as well.

Well, to update the launcher you could use one of the methods listed here:
http://patchup.info/d3/tools/Win/

But if you want to be able to update the game without having to rely on a website for downloading those files you can use a VPN service like hotspot shield or, if the game is installed on a laptop, you could take it to a Starbucks.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 10/16/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
EDIT

Got it working! Your above suggestions were the solution! You were a major help, thank you very much!

If you are living on campus and cannot initialize the update, the issue is that you cannot download the torrent file. Follow the steps above.
Edited by HollabackGuy#1735 on 10/16/2012 5:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
I got impatient waiting, so I tried to re-install it. Now it's stuck at .1%

I am on university apartment so it might be blocked. Anyway I can download Diablo 3 and the patches on my university campus and play?

You can. As long as you download the torrent file Manually.

It doesn't really matter that you uninstalled the game. Once you get the "Failed to download a required file" error, it means the game finished installing (Yep, the install finishes at 0.1%).

With the game installed download the launcher update and the tfil as I mentioned on my previous post and start the game using the launcher. (Don't run the installer again)

EDIT

Got it working! Your above suggestions were the solution! You were a major help, thank you very much!

Nice :) Have fun playing. Or... downloading.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 10/16/2012 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]