Diablo® III

INTENSE map loading stutter after patch

Has anyone else experiencing intense stuttering and fps drops after the patch?
It runs smoothly 60fps then whenever a "new" enemy shows up (new as in "haven't seen this monster in this gameplay yet"), the game gets choppy and sluggish, dropping my fps down to 1-2 for a couple of seconds every now and them...
The only workaround so far for me is to get a enemy mob to show up on screen, run back and wait a few seconds then face the mob.
But when facing mobs close to another mobs and etc, the slowdown makes it unplayable.

Just a quick note, I'm running the game from an SD card (95mb/s read/write), did the patch change anything regarding cache and such?? Could running from the SD card be the cause of it? It has plenty of space, it's a 64gb SD card, with only 15gb being used.
Reply Quote
95MB/s read/write from an SD card is highly unlikely.

How did you benchmark the card?

What filesystem do you use on the card?

The lag is clearly issues with loading data from the card into memory or cache.
Reply Quote
well it states in its cover (model is SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1) it has a "95mb/s" written on it.... so I believed...
it's formatted as OS X expanded journaled (something like that). any better option for an SD card? (use on Mac only)

anyways, gonna make some tests running from my internal HD.
funny thing is that it didn't happen before the lastest patch, so something related to cache must have changed...
Reply Quote
even worse from the HD... gonna review my D3prefs.txt and do some more tests...
Reply Quote
changing the HardwareClass in d3prefs.txt back to its original state (it rated my videocard as "3") instead of "1" as I've read in some other posts seems to SLIGHTLY reduce the hiccups...

DisableTrilinearFiltering makes no difference at all for me, it does reduce the steady 60fps to somewhat 40ish, but the hiccups are there no matter what.

the first time I enter someone's banner is like a hell in slow motion. for around 5 sec I don't know what's going on, all suddenly flashes and bam I'm dead. every single game I join, the initial "loading" within the game takes around 30-40sec. after that, steady FPS, all smooth... until I face an enemy - then BAM... stuttering all over for around 5 sec again....

fighting has become undoable like this.......

my summary:
- DisableTrilinearFiltering on or off, doesn't matter... it does reduce the fps, but the stuttering remain the same
- HardwareClass set to its default selection seems to somewhat improve the performance regarding the stuttering and hiccups (don't ask me why)
- Changing resolutions/fullscreen/windowed don't help either. Lower resolution, higher steady FPS, but the slowdowns occur no matter what.
- Changing textures/shadows/etc, the higher the settings, the lower steady FPS I get, but doesn't really matter - I tried with everything OFF or LOW, same results whenever fighting a mob or entering a banner right after joining a game

my conclusion - it's the 1.0.5 fault, somehow it affected the game's performance on my machine....
Reply Quote
Sorry It took me so long to respond.

Yeah it may be advertised to run at 95MB/s but the actual speed you get depends largely on what filesystem it runs on, whether you're readying sequentially or randomly, and if the bus/port that it's plugged into can actually read/write it fast enough.

I find that the microsoft FAT32 and exFAT filesystems read/write very quickly on SDcards. However, I'm not sure if Mac can format it to those filesystems.

3rd party software can for sure.

It would seem that somewhere in the process of caching the data is bottlenecking. Whether D3 decompresses the .mpg files or just reads from within them is a mystery to me, but it could possible explain why you're experiencing this issue.

Also, I know you said only 15gb is being used on the card, but if the card is full (or at least 80% full) it can drastically slow down solid state storage. Can you perform a manual TRIM operation on the card?

Forgot to ask, how much RAM and what kinda Processor does your machine have?
Reply Quote
Sorry It took me so long to respond.

Yeah it may be advertised to run at 95MB/s but the actual speed you get depends largely on what filesystem it runs on, whether you're readying sequentially or randomly, and if the bus/port that it's plugged into can actually read/write it fast enough.

I find that the microsoft FAT32 and exFAT filesystems read/write very quickly on SDcards. However, I'm not sure if Mac can format it to those filesystems.

3rd party software can for sure.

It would seem that somewhere in the process of caching the data is bottlenecking. Whether D3 decompresses the .mpg files or just reads from within them is a mystery to me, but it could possible explain why you're experiencing this issue.

Also, I know you said only 15gb is being used on the card, but if the card is full (or at least 80% full) it can drastically slow down solid state storage. Can you perform a manual TRIM operation on the card?

Forgot to ask, how much RAM and what kinda Processor does your machine have?

Filesystem would have such a minor impact of disk I/O in any relevant case to what the OP is having problems with. The far more relevant measurement you want to be looking at is the hardware data transfer rates.
Reply Quote
10/18/2012 06:15 AMPosted by DirkGently
Filesystem would have such a minor impact of disk I/O in any relevant case to what the OP is having problems with. The far more relevant measurement you want to be looking at is the hardware data transfer rates.

While the effects can be minimal, it's still worth a shot to try a different filesystem.

I came to this conclusion because he also tried running the game from his hard drive, and it gave him issues. Hardware data transfer rate from the hard drive is most definitely much faster than the SD card, yet he still had the problem. --Though the actual chance of it solving anything is minimal.

What I'm starting to think, is that his RAM might be fairly low, so the game loads a minimal amount of data to operate, and he has to write things to swapfile before he can experience better performance.

Another idea I had was to create the OS X equivalent of a "tmpfs" and load the game to it. Assuming there is a large enough swapfile, else increase the size of it.

I'm not sure if Apple provides the ability to do any of this though, as OS X is the worst OS to customize and tweak that has ever existed.
Reply Quote
10/18/2012 12:54 PMPosted by Socrates

While the effects can be minimal, it's still worth a shot to try a different filesystem.

I came to this conclusion because he also tried running the game from his hard drive, and it gave him issues. Hardware data transfer rate from the hard drive is most definitely much faster than the SD card, yet he still had the problem. --Though the actual chance of it solving anything is minimal.

What I'm starting to think, is that his RAM might be fairly low, so the game loads a minimal amount of data to operate, and he has to write things to swapfile before he can experience better performance.

Another idea I had was to create the OS X equivalent of a "tmpfs" and load the game to it. Assuming there is a large enough swapfile, else increase the size of it.

I'm not sure if Apple provides the ability to do any of this though, as OS X is the worst OS to customize and tweak that has ever existed.

No, it really wouldn't affect it at all. That isn't how the OS or the application loads things into memory. Please stop posting support answer in the Mac support section if you have no experience on the platform.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This might be relating to the textures caching for the first time. After playing for awhile, does the loading stutter go away, or is it always present, even when the same monsters appear?
Reply Quote
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

My specs just to clarify - I've got an early '11 MacBook Pro 17" (native resolution is 1920x1200), 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 (quad-core), and 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM.

So I believe RAM is out of the question - unless D3 has become the most hardware-demanding game of all times...

And yes, OS X can format in either exFAT or FAT32, but WHY would I if I only use Macs...

Machkhan, it did [the perfomance] seem to have improved since the day of the patch. Question is, how does the game cache textures or any other files? Does it store in my ~Library or some temporary folder on my HD? Does it use the SD card to cache?

I did have some trouble upon updating (like many had when the patch came out), could it be that my entire cache was wiped out? or did they change how the caching occurs?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]