Diablo® III

How to drop or sell [Plan: Staff of Herding ]

I bought 2 extra [Plan: Staff of Herding], but now I can not drop them or sell them, think it's a bug, blizzard, what shall I do?
Reply Quote
can't drop or sell it here as well. picked up the drop from izual when my blacksmith already knows how to craft it. stuck in my inventory now.
please help to fix this.
Reply Quote
Same problem here... My WD picked up an extra plan in act 4 inferno (...thought it was a legendary with all the light effect..)
Now I cannot get rid of it.
Is this bug new in this patch?
Reply Quote
Just drop it in game then leave. problem solve
Reply Quote
Izual dropped it for me and I saw the orange text and grabbed it before I realized it was trash. At this point, it cannot be dropped, sold, salvaged, or taught to the Blacksmith if he already knows it. I'm guessing the intention is for it to be droppable like the ingredients for the staff, and it is simply bugged.

Hopefully I can ditch it by putting it on a new character and deleting that character, but I just thought of that and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Good thing I'm not using all my character slots.
Reply Quote
Izual dropped it for me and I saw the orange text and grabbed it before I realized it was trash. At this point, it cannot be dropped, sold, salvaged, or taught to the Blacksmith if he already knows it. I'm guessing the intention is for it to be droppable like the ingredients for the staff, and it is simply bugged.

Hopefully I can ditch it by putting it on a new character and deleting that character, but I just thought of that and haven't had a chance to try it yet. Good thing I'm not using all my character slots.

if this is not fixed, i guess i will need to try that method
Thanks!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Hi guys,

We changed these items to not be dropped in the 1.0.3 patch because players were throwing them away and then reporting that the item "disappeared". The developers are currently looking for alternatives for this, but right now it is intended for the item to not be dropped.

busticat3d has a good workaround for you to use in the meantime.
Edited by Vasadan on 10/17/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
In 1.0.3 only the actual Staff couldn't be dropped. No problem there, because you don't really get another staff "by accident".

Dropping "plan: staff of herding" still worked in 1.0.4.

The workaround is not an option for people like me that have all 10 character slots taken.
However, I will of course try to not pick up more of the ingredients..
Reply Quote
I suspect this was part of the infernal machine/hellfire ring upgrade, they didn't want anything account bound to be dropped. (I'd hate to lose those items)
Reply Quote
can't you just change the drop rate of the item to 0% if you have learned the plan already?
Reply Quote
Honestly Blizzard, you did not think of this!!!
It's stuff like this that make me feel like Blizzard don't care about the details anymore.

Only care about increasing the need to use (RM)AH and RMAH as much as possible.

FYI, A patch is a piece of software designed to fix problems not to add new ones...
Reply Quote
OMG this is the same problem i have wahahaahah i have 2 infernal staff of herding and it is wasting my slots
Reply Quote
That's a good workaround, but all 10 of my slots are taken... What am I supposed to do now?!?!
Reply Quote
haha i too have 10 characters made already, yes its only taking up one slot....
I DON'T CARE, I STILL WANT IT GONE!!
ty :) <3
Edited by DxHxD#1350 on 10/21/2012 1:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Add me to the list of people with another plan and nothing to do with it... my question, I do still have spare character slots but does the character who is deleted still kept track of?

Is there any ETA on getting a fix for this to make it able to be dropped again after picking it up...? How hard can it be?
I remember picking one up in an older patch (must have been pre 1.0.3) and realized I had already learned it so I dropped it on the ground only to watch another player run to it and try to pick it up multiple times. Where's the flaw in going back to that way of handling it? Or make it so that if you drop it only you see it.

In short it is a bug and I would appreciate a proper fix from developers, not some idea that another player came up with, while it may work flawlessly, is hardly going to improve the way the company looks to other gamers. Can't even fix problems in your own game, look to the community for a "workaround."
Reply Quote
This is pretty dumb and unclever development, the plan should at least be salvage or sell, we dont need it. you only need one of this.

the work around I think is to create a character, transfer it to that character and delete that character.
Reply Quote
Hi guys,

We changed these items to not be dropped in the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457499"]1.0.3 patch[/url] because players were throwing them away and then reporting that the item "disappeared". The developers are currently looking for alternatives for this, but right now it is intended for the item to not be dropped.

busticat3d has a good workaround for you to use in the meantime.

That's an unacceptable workaround. My slots are all filled. It can't be that hard to allow someone to drop this item. If someone "loses" it, too bad.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Death Knight
just enable it to be sold to vendor for 1 gold. just get it out of my inventory!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]