Diablo® III

The Raining Meteor build *Starters' edition*

10/31/2012 01:30 AMPosted by Trismigistus

You try do the Wave of Force during the uber boss fight where it has been freezing by another wiz....

I think the CM/WW wiz will rage quit.

LOL

Thanks for guaranteeing the Meteor Nerf by not pushing the official joke.

LOL
Hello once again.
I've made 1 more change in build. Now I use Prodigy instead of Astral Presence because I don't have enough APoC and it's very fast AP regen now with LL.
First of all, mad props to Emperor. This is an awesome build. Please everyone, let's request for a sticky.

I'm primarily a CM wiz; and running SNS (and even RNS) can get pretty old after some time. I like to kite every once in a while. Problem is there's no real viable kiting spec - until this. I changed some of the skills, and I'll explain why you should consider them.

I call this the Magic Meteor Rain variant.

The spec: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PgTQXa!gce!aZZYZc

1. Prodigy over Astral Presence
Why? Because of #2

2. Seeker (Magic Missile) over Magic Weapon
With Seeker, you don't need to aim so you can just focus on your Meteor. Unlike other spells that you need to channel, you can cast it at the same time you cast Meteor (refer to video; link below). Why would you like to do this? Because of the following..
a. AP Regen - Let's compare: Astral Presence gives you 2 AP per second. Seeker + Prodigy gives you 4 AP immediately. Since you cast Seeker at the same time as Meteor (& since it homes in for a guaranteed hit), it's like you have -4 AP to Meteor cost. Let's say your AP is drained. You can run around and wait while it takes you exactly 1 second with Astral Presence to get 2 extra AP. In comparison, you can have 4 AP instantly with just 1 Seeker hit. In my case, I can do 3 attacks per second. Which means that with Seeker, I can gain 12 extra AP per second. That's 10 AP per second difference right there.
b. Proc Rate - Seeker is one of the very few spells we have left that has 1.00 proc rate. Every time your Seeker crits, you shave off 1 full second from your timers. Also, let's take my gear as an example. I have 600 LoH. That means each hit will give me a solid 600 HP. I have 18 APoC. So every time I crit (at 51% base chance), I get the whole 18 AP. That plus the 4 from Prodigy is 22 AP. Add in the 7 AP reduction from Prism and 3 from Power of the Storm, and you have a whopping -32 AP cost on Meteor. With a -5 source, your Meteor is now free to cast if you're using Star Pact (you even get 2 AP to spare).
c. Extra Damage - I don't wanna go deep into damage calculation on whether Magic Weapon will give higher DPS (someone who wishes to can take over). But let me just highlight that Seeker does 138% damage. Since we cast this together with Meteor, you get that extra damage everytime you cast.
d. Utility - You can open doors and break stuff free of charge :)

3. Molten Impact over Star Pact
As shown above, you can get -37 AP cost easy. Molten Impact should just cost you 13 AP to cast. If you consider the APoC you get from the Meteor's hit itself, you shouldn't have any problems keeping your AP full. That said, 390% damage on impact and 90% damage over 3 secs is just too sexy to pass off.

4. Conflagration over Evocation
Let's face it, just like the typical CM spec, Evocation is only used because there's no better passive to use. Besides, Seeker will offset (& more) whatever marginal difference Evocation makes. With Molten Impact, your Meteor is now on fire. Nobody can argue with Conflagration's additional 10% damage from all sources.

Demo: http://youtu.be/Jev0ZVTTUEw

Yeah, it's not a very impressive run (since it's the first). Play mechanics still feels awkward. Playing CM-WW too long made my kiting skills rusty. But it should give you an idea for the Magic Missile timing (that's where the Magic came from). I'm just glad I finally found some use for Magic Missile. LOL
I hate the name of this thread(build?)...

Raining meteor - puh-leeeze

I charge up a few WWs on a pack of elites, then spam about 20-30 meteor showers consecutively with the occasional frost nova to keep things locked down.

You wanna see raining meteors?? I'll show you raining meteors.
^ haters gonna hate.
@Valcrist, thought about Arcane Dynamo for a +75% meteor every 5 MM's?
If you have enough APoC like27+ try familar with Ap regen rune and replace primary skill. Simply aim at monster and spam meteor familar will atk too when it cri you gain Ap like you use magic missile and i believe its proc is 1.00 same with magic missile but you gain2 ap regen also i combine this with magic weapon conduit rune make me spam meteor without using any primary skill.
Edited by Autarch#1541 on 11/7/2012 6:24 PM PST

I charge up a few WWs on a pack of elites, then spam about 20-30 meteor showers consecutively with the occasional frost nova to keep things locked down.

Alright, show us your raining meteors. 20-30 meteors consecutively with your stats? puh-leeeze! Can't backup your words now, can you? Foot got caught in your mouth?

Meteors w/ CM is old news. We all know meteors work well with CM on high MP levels - and it's called RNS. Been living under a rock (no pun intended) have you? LOL. And even with decent gear, we only use it around 6 times per burst. 20-30? Yeah right. >__>

But that's not the point. What we have here is a solid kiting build. Sure, I can be efficient and melt MP10 with RNS. But this build is fun to play

11/07/2012 11:33 AMPosted by AS00
@Valcrist, thought about Arcane Dynamo for a +75% meteor every 5 MM's?

I actually considered that. But the main purpose of the missiles are for procs (AP cost & timer redux). The goal is to cast Meteor and Seeker at the same time so you don't waste an attack turn. 5 missiles >> 1 meteor would be lower DPS overall even with +75% from Arcane Dynamo. Since for the time it takes you to cast that, you could've already unleashed 6 missiles AND 6 meteors

11/07/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Autarch
If you have enough APoC like27+ try familar with Ap regen rune and replace primary skill. Simply aim at monster and spam meteor familar will atk too when it cri you gain Ap like you use magic missile and i believe its proc is 1.00 same with magic missile but you gain2 ap regen also i combine this with magic weapon conduit rune make me spam meteor without using any primary skill.

That would be awesome if not for one fatal flaw: Familiars, like Hydras, do NOT proc. Really not surprising when most of our skills (even big AP spenders) have roughly 0.1 proc rate

EDIT: How come my quote for Eirhead's post (70032360917) is not tagging his name and timestamp?
Edited by Valcrist#6473 on 11/7/2012 7:25 PM PST
11/07/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Valcrist
But this build is fun to play

[whisper] Sshhhh... they're listening. We don't want them to know we're having fun with this build or they'll nerf it. ;) [/whisper]

P.S. Thanks for the video. Why didn't I ever think about mapping a skill to my third mouse button??? Duh!!! I stupidly added a Razer marco to my third mouse button to be one of my skills instead. And I'm a bigger man now for admitting to the Diablo III community that I'm a dumb@#$. :)
Edited by Pugs#1450 on 11/7/2012 8:04 PM PST
Valcrist....Nice video and pretty good APOC regen

PUH LEEEZEeeEee show me!

i would really like to see the REAL raining meteor Build(video?)
I run emperors build, but with star pact. I actually dont have a lifetap weapon, but the one I use has a very high base dps and 99% crit damage, so it does really well at giving me back life since it hits pretty hard. For reflect mobs I just throw on a 1450dps 2hander with 5.8 lifesteal, and dont have any issues. So far I am up to MP7 with very little dying, and its really efficient.
hi guys
im selling an oculus that helps alot with this build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004045586
Finally able to spam meteor after I got my Tal set. But I still walked into ap problem if there r too little enemies or if I missed a couple shoots.
The current profile is missing the new Tal offhand and chest I just got. The biggest difference is the -5ap coat and I am now just over 100k dps.
Should I be looking for a ring with more -ap cost? I already have a -5 ap on my off hand and I am also using the -7 ap on the skin.
I know switching a weapon is the quickest way but I only have 20 mil left and my dps is just a little over 100k.
Just want to be able to spam meteor like u do in the vid.

Also, just wanted to say that it is so ez to shoot down goblin by trapping them in time shell. U can easily block his way and make him stay in there while shooting down meteor. Just loving it.
Edited by AprilMary#1853 on 11/8/2012 12:40 AM PST
Finally able to spam meteor after I got my Tal set. But I still walked into ap problem if there r too little enemies or if I missed a couple shoots.
Should I be looking for a ring with more -ap cost? I already have a -5 ap on my off hand and I am also using the -7 ap on the skin.
I know switching a weapon is the quickest way but I only have 20 mil left and my dps is just a little over 100k.

Try the "Magic Meteor Rain" I posted above. Should work wonders for you since you have high CC
11/07/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Pugs
P.S. Thanks for the video. Why didn't I ever think about mapping a skill to my third mouse button??? Duh!!! I stupidly added a Razer marco to my third mouse button to be one of my skills instead. And I'm a bigger man now for admitting to the Diablo III community that I'm a dumb@#$. :)

11/07/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Gcanum
Valcrist....Nice video and pretty good APOC regen

Thanks guys! To be honest, it's not a very good video. The only thing it's good for is demonstrating the missile timing. Actually, the real APoC from that spec wasn't well represented. If you can see, I was playing like a retard and casting behind the elite's 'wall'. So while I was spamming both meteor and missile, the missile was just hitting the wall and not doing its 'magic'. I'll probably post a better video once I get the hang of kiting again. Currently, my reflex is to jump in and get up close to the pack - coz of playing CM too long. LOL

Yeah, mapping to the 3rd mouse button really helps a lot. Gives you quick access to an additional spell. That button is actually my Meteor spam button when I'm running RNS. Also, mapping Seeker to the keyboard helps since it lets you press it at the same time you click your mouse (for Meteor). And if you notice, I'm using 'A', 'Z', and 'X' for my keys - for faster response time when I need to hold down 'Shift'
@Valcrist - very nice build ! have you tried split shot rune on magic missiles? does the seperate shots of each proc apoc? if it does, wow !

@AprilMary - i think you need more apoc, 9 is too low !~
Hey Emperor,

First of all mad props to your build. I've been trying it and its been a blast (even with my sub-par gear). I have a few questions if you don't mind my asking.

1. How do you prioritize your gear? While I can shell out some decent damage, I'm absolutely fragile. One wrong move and those damn lunatics can kill me in one shot!

2. How high of a crit chance should I aim for? Right now I'm sitting at 41% with Scoundrels 3% bonus. I can go higher, but then I'd have to remove either of my rings and lose some damage, or some meteor AP reduction.
@Morgfyre - hmmm, will go in order starting from most important (this is what i feel):
- apoc and crit chance is a must! get it wherever you can!
- LS and apoc on weapon (LS is a must), meteor -ap costs, as much as possible!
- crit dmg and int for dmg
- all resists / armor / vit (i balance them out so i dun stack one stats dominantly, i find it gives the best result when balanced because the more you focus on 1 stats, the greater the diminishing returns)

for crit chance, im now at 44% w/o scoundrel, and im managing just fine because of my high ap regen (additional 6 per sec). probably close to 50% would be ideal, but it is very costly to get there.
Edited by Emperor#6740 on 11/8/2012 6:10 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]