Diablo® III

The Raining Meteor build *Starters' edition*

I agree with Emperor. Pickup a storm crow with cc and then you might consider a nice black wand with life steal. If you do get a black wand, you'll get more damage returns from a Storm Crow and Tal Rasha's Amulet. If you do go the route of Storm Crow, do note that the price goes up exponentially based on cc. But, last time I check, you can even get a relatively low 4.5%cc Storm Crow for like 10million.
meteor is cool and all, butt I get caught too many times waiting for that !@#$er to land or missing target. can't do it... not reliable enough.
@deathaxe

That's what slow time is for... Try porting into the center of the mob, bubble, teleport back (reversal) and unleash your volleys of meteors: BOOM BOOM BOOM
I picked up tal's source last night to keep the set bonus once I replace for storm crow...

With the added APoC I tried swapping out star pact for shower. Huge difference on aoe but I don't seem to be getting as many crits. Also it is very hard to see. Especially if you run into an elite with desecrate. I found myself dying more often due to the fact that I have trouble telling the difference between my fire on the ground vs. theirs.... Lol

But let me tell you it was fun to see the whole screen lot up by my flames... :)

Is it worth losing out on damage on the weapon vs having life steal? I guess the trade off for better survivability at higher MP.,. I found a sloraks with almost the same stats as my chantodo with CD at 88 (instead of the 100 CD from the gem) my only concern is that it has about 100 less damage. It has 2,5 LS. I also gain IAS by 11%(sloraks) but lose 0.23(chantodo).

Overall when compared to my chantodo I lose 12k damage
Edited by Caligula#1499 on 2/16/2013 6:27 AM PST
Please forgive my ignorance...

But what is a black wand?
A Black Wand is a physical damage weapon. It basically does not have any element damage and instead has minimum and maximum damage affixes. It's called black because the in-game border is black without any elements. There are two reasons a black wand is nice: a.) they tend to offer overall more DPS than element weapons and b.) affixes like "Adds X% to Y Damage" on your Storm Crow and Tal Rasha's Amulet reference your "black" physical damage.

Do note that for the second point, items like Storm Crow don't enhance your elemental damage of that element (eg Lightning in the case of Storm Crow), but rather add X% of that elemental damage type to the overall black damage you deal. For most discussions that means it's just a flat X% damage bonus.
02/16/2013 05:27 AMPosted by Caligula
Is it worth losing out on damage on the weapon vs having life steal? I guess the trade off for better survivability at higher MP.,. I found a sloraks with almost the same stats as my chantodo with CD at 88 (instead of the 100 CD from the gem) my only concern is that it has about 100 less damage. It has 2,5 LS. I also gain IAS by 11%(sloraks) but lose 0.23(chantodo).

damage that appears on your character sheet are not your true damage output as there are many factors to consider like,
- how many offensive spells are you throwing within a time frame,
- how much time do you actually spend using your spells to hit enemy rather than running away from them too much
- how much time do you spend to walk to health globes
& much more.

so, i'm a strong believer that if you have better survivability, you can do more damage by not wasting time running or picking up health globes hence higher damage output.

*oh and... 25 pages! the thread is going to end soon :( *
Edited by Emperor#6740 on 2/16/2013 9:06 AM PST
Thanks to the both of you for taking the time to help a fellow wizard out.

Maybe you should start another thread and link it here to continue this one. I've learned a lot in this thread and would be sad to see it go.

This is by far the best build I've played and different from the MANY cookie cutter CM/WW that I see in game.

Yesterday, I helped out a stranger CM/WW and he inspected me and told me that my build was all wrong for a CM wizard. Sheet wise he had more damage, CC, and CD. However play wise I smoked him. He died several times whereas I did not die, and overall I believe I did more damage.

My hat comes off to you for creating this awesome build!

Cheers!
Edited by Caligula#1499 on 2/16/2013 9:40 AM PST
very gracious compliments Caligula ! thanks !!! appreciate it!

well regarding create another thread, i can't because i don't have time for this game anymore. but i guess someone else could do it if they're up to it! (yes TekkZero, i'm referring to you! your the perfect person for it!)

it's been my honor that i could make an impact and a change and have many people following this build in the wizard's world!
very gracious compliments Caligula ! thanks !!! appreciate it!

well regarding create another thread, i can't because i don't have time for this game anymore. but i guess someone else could do it if they're up to it! (yes TekkZero, i'm referring to you! your the perfect person for it!)

it's been my honor that i could make an impact and a change and have many people following this build in the wizard's world!
I'm flattered Emperor, but it'll be hard to fill your shoes. We'll miss you here. You might make another thread as part 2 to this thread, so people realized it's basically the same raining meteor thread (ie since your this thread's author). :)
does any1 want to buy a Stone of Jordan that reduces meteor cost by 3 and gives 26% elite bonus?
add me!
View profile
02/15/2013 03:25 PMPosted by DethAxe
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/15/world/europe/russia-meteor-shower/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

haha thanks for this gem
View profile
If the nephalem casting that russian meteor shower was serious about their build they would have had more reduc gear so they could have used molten impact and killed instead of injured. just sayin haha, no offense to anyone russian! juss a bit od d2 comedy ;0
View profile
just finished reading over the rest of this thread...emp, sad to see your leaving :( i just started playing again and was hoping we could squeeze some more runs in together now that I have a proper computer, it was great running this build with another.

Hope you'll still lurk these threads from time to time! Glad your build made the Compendium ;) using reduc gear really has a huge impact on my meteorstyle.

Good luck cashing out your gear by they way :)

@caligula, how effective do you find the tals AP set bonus to be? Do you pair it with MW AP bonus? Have you tried the benefits of a good -4TP/5 meteor reduc? IMO tping uptime is key for this build whether youre using wormhole for quick runs or fracture for mitigation. However, i've never tried reversal, I wasnt aware there was enough time to cast a bubble and still reverse. I'll have to give that a go. Also, with blizzards buff i've swapped time bubble out for blizzard as my new snare. Lots of damage + snare is pretty nice, better than the 20% or speed buff offered by bubble
I guess we can't post anymore... I don't see my last post

***EDIT*** Maybe it was too long... Or it was an iPhone fail...

Short and sweet version...

Reversal has an 8 sec timer to go back. There is a lot you can do in 8 secs. Like lerroy Jenkins to Argo everything bubble again reversal and let it rain... :)

@Emperor

If you have a black wand for sale, please hit me up. And before it's too late please restart this thread to keep it going!
Edited by Caligula#1499 on 2/17/2013 5:23 AM PST
Test Post
*Looks like we can still post in this thread :)
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 2/17/2013 1:05 PM PST
First of all, thanks for posting this build! I was always a big meteor fan and after returning to the game, I started looking for a way to incorporate them more efficiently. I ran through the last 3 acts of Inferno using molten impact at MP 5 (including ubers) and I've been having a blast! There is something tremendously satisfying about using the skill combinations well and landing a well aimed meteor.

I have been having so much fun that I'm trying to convince my friend to return too. So thank you Emperor!

I come to the forums though looking for some advice and with a couple questions. To begin, I would love to raise my damage and attempt higher level of MP but not sure what gear to aim for. I would be grateful for any advice.

I was also curious if anyone has been using star pact and temporal flux since the buff in the last patch? The 60% slow seem tempting enough to forgo the extra damage, especially if playing with a group or fighting ubers.

And finally I was wondering if anyone has had success with this build in PvP, molten impact or star pact? I haven't tried personally but it seems like it would be great in theory. Practically though, it's always a different matter. The other problem is my knowledge about other classes and their abilities is so minimal that I am actually looking at only part of the equation
Edited by DurandaL#1923 on 2/21/2013 9:09 AM PST
it is possible that arcane on crit is broken?
sometimes i make 10 crits with one attack for 50 arcane.
but arcane isn´t full after 10 crits.(10arcane on crit)

when i make 10 crits and have 10 arcane on crit. i think it should having 100 arcane.
but why it isn´t so?
Meteors don't proc at a 1:1 rate. It's actually much less
Here is a complete list for meteors taken from Guybrush's thread
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5208511084

* MeteorRune 0 : 0.125 [1/8] - dot* : 0.125 [1/8] (3 time over 3 seconds stack)
* Rune 1 - Molten Impact : 0.125 [1/8] - dot* : 0.125 [1/8] (3 time over 3 seconds stack)
* Rune 2 - Star Pact : 0.10625 [17/160] - dot* : 0.10625 [17/160] (3 time over 3 seconds stack)
* Rune 3 - Meteor Shower : 0.050 [1/20] per small meteor (7 meteors) - dot* : 0.050 [1/20] (2 time over 2 seconds stack)
* Rune 4 - Comet : 0.125 [1/8] - dot* : 0.125 [1/8] (3 time over 3 seconds stack)
* Rune 5 - Liquefy : 0.10625 [17/160] - dot* : 0.10625 [17/160] (3/8 time over 3/8 seconds stack)
#500 post !

thread has reached the maximum post limit ! i will not be creating a new carry on thread, sorry guys :\ ! but if anyone is up to it, they are by all rights entitled to do so!
Edited by Emperor#6740 on 2/22/2013 9:27 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]