Diablo® III

How do you gear up your merc?

scoundrel for example.
what type of gear/stats does one aim for this guy? magic find/gold find? damage/primary stat

doesnt seem like mercs are a good source for damage but i have !@#$ty gear so what do i know.

edit: i just found out you can retrain merc skills by right clicking on their portrait.
Edited by Derpling#1632 on 10/22/2012 11:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I used to gear them for dps but now I gear them for MF and any cool legendaires I find e.g. my enchantress who summons demon with firechains.

If you want dps definately stack the mercs base stat, don't worry about their vitality, AR etc, just stack dex, int or str and you will see their dps climb. My scoundel does approx 9k damage when hes not running MF.
Reply Quote
I dunno.
I give em what magic find I can. But it seems I find pitifully little of that.
So, I turn them into deadly cannon fodder.
They get a huge bonus for vitality, and a decent damage boost for their primary stat. Don't bother giving them +dmg items though as they only get half.

So, huge vitality and some ok damage, and they can tie a few monsters up over in some corner until I can get to them.

Maybe there is a better use..
Reply Quote
My enchantress gives me armor and attack speed and run around wiht like 10k dps. Also gives me bonus xp :)
Reply Quote
I gave my Templar an Azurewrathe and tons of health. He tanks and freezes mobs like a boss.

Edit: I also equipped my Scoundrel with a Windforce and attack speed. That setup will keep enemies away from you via the knockback of the Windforce
Edited by Tropicalypso#1473 on 10/21/2012 11:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Your scoundrels windforce is just like the one on mine. Knockback ain't that great for barbs but I like his dps with it.
Reply Quote
Yep yep, basic stuff like Vit and Magic Find. Stack up block chance and good shield on templar. Summon Skeleton and Fire Chains demon etc. Fun stuff. Don't really gear them for DPS but, rather, proc chances and fun stuff. High Knockback or stun, etc.
Reply Quote
check my scourundel
Reply Quote
10/22/2012 12:12 AMPosted by ImOP
check my scourundel

nice name for your barb

that wep is mainly used for freeze on hit?

edit: i would assume so... that wep is pretty expensive.
Edited by Derpling#1632 on 10/22/2012 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
my scoundrel is basically the same as ImOP's but with the addition of the star ammy. there are ones with chance to freeze, but its expensive. also make sure your scoundrel has multi shot, and the burzia has high pierce chance and high chance to freeze.
Edited by Bryan#1258 on 10/22/2012 1:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on who I play but focused on gearing up 2 followers for each class so I can switch it up depending on what I feel like.

If I'm playing ranged like DH or WD, then I use my follower as a tank or utility. For tank, I just stack defensive stats AR, armor and vitality on the Templar. For utility, I equip them with a weapon with CC (Windforce or Tormentor), attack speed and LOH for survivability.

If I play melee, I go for more damage on followers with crit damage, crit chance and LOH.

And of course, I gear them with as much MF as possible.
Reply Quote
They are setup for mass cc or mass MF/Exp.
Reply Quote
My enchantress gives me nice passives, around 10K damage, summons demons to distract/deal damage, and stands around looking pretty.
Reply Quote
they sucks
only good for MF/GF/XP Bonus (see my follower)

anyway i heard windforce for scoundrel, it can knockback enemies.
and give Maximus for enchantress to summon demon.
Reply Quote
I just go with the MF. My templar adds about 25% MF so it lets me get closer to the cap while having more dps and survivability. If I ever hit the 300 cap I'll probably just switch back to dps gear and keep the MF gear on the merc until last.
Reply Quote
Just picked up this bow for cheap for my scoundrel. Cold damage to slow mobs and ~2500 Loh and he does pretty well.
Reply Quote
I use Templar. MF/GF > Vitality > Strength.

I'm a WD, using pets so I really just want another unit that can distract mobs, and live as long as possible.
Reply Quote
Anything with lots of stats, if you can get all 4 of them on an item with emphasis on vit and the follower's primary, the better.

Alternatively you could just put MF or CC effects on them.
Reply Quote
I give mine as much DPS as possible so it can help me kill stuff.

Wait, no, I just gear it up with MF gear and let it die instantly like it will do no matter what anyways.
Reply Quote
I give mine as much DPS as possible so it can help me kill stuff.

Wait, no, I just gear it up with MF gear and let it die instantly like it will do no matter what anyways.

Same, lol. I don't need a 2 second tank. I'll take the 28% free MF instead.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]