Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

I rarely post on these forums but this idea is soooo sooo.... Stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gE-ihY_EG0
Reply Quote
Side Note: Cheaters are Lazy by Definition -- what makes you think they will go through all this trouble to set up their PC in such away that they can yank out the cord at a Seconds Notice. If in fact a cheater has this kind of determination they will find "A Way" whether or not the rest of us get a real help like the System proposed here.

I'm not a cheater, but my laptop is setup so that it is on my desk, hooked up to an external monitor, with my wireless mouse and keyboard on a slide-out tray from my desk. I'm literally an arm's length (I have long arms) away from being able to yank my ethernet cable out at any given time, so I would be in a position to benefit from this cheat if I wanted to and it was available.

However, as people have mentioned on the board, if you're an honest player (which I am), then the reason you are playing HC in the first place is for the challenge and unique thrill that you get. Cheating is definitely tempting, but in the end, it cheapens the experience of any success you encounter in HC.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 01:40 PMPosted by Susamik
I wonder if it would be possible to have some type of "Link Dead Detection" and "Protection" in Hardcore. I am rather disgusted having to start a New Hardcore Player every time my Wireless has a hiccup or the Power has a hiccup. I am sure that other people feel the same way.

How old is your wireless router and wireless NIC? Something that people overlook is that newer equipment has broader frequency coverage and improved firmware algorithms to reduce lost packets.

Alternatively, tether your system to the router during play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Vzzdak I am a network admin I understand CPE it is not the issue.

The issue is when you get disconnected from Battle.net Game Server while in a Harcore Game it Kills You.

You can be logged back in, in less than 10 seconds and still have a Dead HC toon. Its when the connection drops for whatever reason. ISP Outage or Issue, Power Issue, Wireless Interference or what have you. Sorry have fun getting back to what ever level you were at before you lost connection to the Battle.net Server. There is nothing you or I can do to protect against some of these issues. Sure everyone could just never play Hardcore on Wireless. I say but why make a game where you can not or should not use wireless or you Die or have some major disadvantage of any sort. This just does not make sense when they can easily program a fail safe in there for us.

Side Note: Many wireless users have no control over the CPE in the network. It could be a coffee house or hotel or any of 100 different places. I guess just don't play this game right... well thats why a lot of people hate the way Blizzard has made D3 the way it is. This "Link Dead Detection Protection" would lessen some of that Frustration. As it stands now it adds to the frustration of no offline play, no LAN , and now can't be in a wireless network or you stand to lose hours of effort.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/27/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Susamik

Okay, no worries. From your original post, it sounded like you might be a non-technical user with oldish wireless gear (i.e., a person that wouldn't normally recognize when they might be handicapping their system).

10/24/2012 09:05 PMPosted by DadyDimSum
I believe if one would actually take time to setup the cable in a position where it is easily accessible to pulling in the time it takes before you actually die would not really be that advantageous.

In favor of the OP, I'd say this is a weak argument against trying to improve the quality of HC gameplay. If Blizzard can figure out a method of implementing this, then it is worthwhile knowledge that can be adapted to their other games, where applicable.

With respect to cheaters, big deal. We already have HC cheaters that claim their accounts were hacked in order to restore their toons. In a way, if they can abuse Susamik's suggestion instead of pestering customer service, that's actually a further benefit to Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Vzzdak

10/27/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Vzzdak
With respect to cheaters, big deal. We already have HC cheaters

You have valid point here.

- rest here is not just directed at you Vzzdak , I just want to breakaway from the cheaters thing.

"Cheaters" have somehow infected this post. Its not about cheating people. Like I said Cheaters will always find away to Cheat and that does not really matter here.

What does matter is that every time I or anyone else playing Hardcore gets Disconnected from the Battle.net Servers for any reason whatsoever. They should not have to Start Over.

Maybe it was my bad about the way I bought this post to be. I was merely hinting that Wireless users who are more Prone to Random Disconnects are also Prone to seeing an all New kind of Hardcore. But the Real Issue is Disconnecting with the B.net Servers and Dieing because of it.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/27/2012 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This thread is fail beyond belief.
Reply Quote
Well, it's a quality of life topic that concerns how the game compensates for people getting dropped from the game. In SC, there's an issue where single player game progress is *lost* if there's a connection issue, whereas the player can rejoin if they'd been in a group. Fixing issues like this would improve the overall game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Sens

10/27/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Sens
This thread is fail beyond belief.

You mean your ability to debate and that comment and comments like it in general are a "Fail beyond belief".
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/28/2012 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your points have been good in this thread. Don't feed the trolls.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
My comment merely implies I welcome him to join the conversation with a worthwhile post that gives us any insight on this topic. I will Ignore any more posts of this sort. Just want people to know they need not waste their time with such useless posts here.
Reply Quote
10/28/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Susamik
My comment merely implies I welcome him to join the conversation with a worthwhile post that gives us any insight on this topic. I will Ignore any more posts of this sort. Just want people to know they need not waste their time with such useless posts here.

<grin>
Reply Quote
I wish, I'd exploit the hell out of it by just dropping packets from my network. :)

To contribute to the thread, I think they should change the leave timer. Leaving the game shouldn't have a 10 second timer when using a town portal only takes five?

I think leaving the game should be a five second timer as well, which will give players a larger buffer when they disconnect.

5 seconds is still plenty long for anything in inferno to kill you, but the issue is when you disconnect it may take 10 seconds to a minute for the server to detect you've dropped and start the exiting process.
Edited by FatZero#1910 on 10/28/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@FatZero

I guess you would have to enlighten me on how anyone could and I quote:

10/28/2012 05:34 PMPosted by FatZero
exploit the hell out of it

When the system proposed here merely says client has Disconnected(NOT become laggy). From the game and this would have to be 100% true then it would protect your toon from death. There is not one instance where just playing Smart and Constant as most Hardcore Players do that it would not be more beneficial than trying to squeeze an ounce of supposed exploit out of this kind of a system. The Best you could do is Exit the Game in a big possibly unlivable crowd of Monsters. Now if you're half a real hardcore player you would not find yourself in need of such an event anyway. There is in fact no way that Exiting the Game Numerous times will benefit anyone.

And I will Quote again:
Because what ItsACheatPPL are saying is like- O wow... a person who makes a lot of bad choices in HC gets to keep saving his toon by pulling the plug and just gets to continue making bad choices in a never ending loop of bad choice wire fraying twilight zone. And this logic belongs in the Twilight Zone.

To say you would exploit this over and over is to say you will suck at this game over and over. Heck even I know you would be almost forced to stop sucking at some point!, and learn what your toon is able handle. So you could do things like not lose your current quest progression, not have to uncover the map again, and keep your x5 Neph Buff and not have to get that over and over again. Which will cost you time, make you find less rares, cost you xp, and gold find. If thats a plus to you well you can have it.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/28/2012 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I changed the Subject of the Thread to more accurately address the real issue. Originally "Wireless is HARDCORE" to is current Subject.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/29/2012 12:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
although i dont really feel this is a major issue in the scheme of things.. like maybe where THE F**K IS PVP.. it is a pleasant change to read a post composed by somebody who actually can articulate himself and form well reasoned and thought out arguments and responses.

if that makes you feel at all validated..

however i do find it odd everybody skimmed over LOSTCHILD's offering of

"how about a automatic pause when dc.. then when u sign in again and play. its mandatory to resume exactly where u were with same life etc..
problem solved. you cannot cheat that"

Could even implement in PUB games where players still online had the option to timeout the d/ced player if they thought it was necessary.. like in war3 or SC.
Reply Quote
Apparently you did not read the part where blizzard said that is part of the challenge and im pretty sure when you created your HC character it stated that "customer service will not revive a fallen Hardcore hero for any reason."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyARZY5yQdo <-- incase you forgot.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Justin

For starters "No one here is trying to revive a fallen Hardcore hero for any reason."

and

No, Sorry "Disconnects" were never an Intended part of the Hardcore challenge.

Foggy scene change back to the Drawing Board days of D3.

New Guy - Hey guys I got IT! wouldn't it just be awesome if in Hardcore Mode if the user should get disconnected they just have to start over! yeah Dead! Huh-Huck Yeah that would be Awesome!~

Rest the Hardcore Team *Silence Long stares and then someone says.. Where did they find this guy?

Yeah really I am going to Say No... Just No.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Bandit/ & Credit@LOSTCHILD

Agreed this is a possible solution.

The combination Automatic Pause and Return State when disconnected for Single Player with the Idle Disconnect type deal that StarCrafts employs for Multiplayer.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/30/2012 2:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the problem with that is the server would have to remember the thousands of people that get disconnected across HC and SC and would cause lag across the servers because you are keeping players online more or less. So there wouldnt really be any peak hours but all the hours would be laggy and disconnecting. Also what if that person doesnt log back in for a week or longer? will they still have the same return state or would it of timed out and killed the player or just timed out and put the player in town. effectively making people site next to there internet router and unplug it if things start to go south.

*also disconnects are part of any online game period and im sure everyone knows it. Hence the part were blizzard will not revive any dead heroes period.
Edited by Justin#1113 on 10/29/2012 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]