Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

Meh. Get better internet. Don't play HC on wireless.
Reply Quote
"how about a automatic pause when dc.. then when u sign in again and play. its mandatory to resume exactly where u were with same life etc..
problem solved. you cannot cheat that"

And no way to get out of the situation or cheat your way out of a bad choice. Log back in, unpause and get yourself out of it or else if you don't come back before the timer (few mins? 1hr? days?) runs out, game unpauses for 10 sec and then puts you in town just like dc currently. But I guess it will cost blizz too much server load and $ to implement this? Where did all the rmah cuts go? I'm guessing hc isn't important enough for them to spend $ on improving.

I started playing hc but after a few hrs of play I changed my mind and decided to not invest the time in it because of possible DC deaths. Death due to my own mistake after 50 or whatever hours/levels of no death... I can accept that, that's what makes hardcore challenging and I want to play that. I wan't to have a toon with tons of playtime and lots of Para and great gear in hc. But a DC causing death after all that effort? I'm not willing to commit to that.
Reply Quote
Respect to those high lvl / geared hc toons that got there dodging dc deaths. I'm guessing you could have played more offensively / take more risks / progress faster if you didn't have to use extra safety measures to account for preventing dc death?
Reply Quote
@Synol

That most people these days do not waste time and effort on wiring their home for ethernet as it is not needed.

Why?

Because they want to write a massive post crying about how it drops out and is 100% inferior to wired technology that doesn't drop out. Blaming the game creator for their own stupidity.

10/30/2012 12:05 AMPosted by Susamik
I and others may tell you that your post is laughably hard to follow

Only you, a clear indication that the problem lies with your lack of ability to understand simple things.

Everyone can tell that the problem is your !@#$ty wireless connection and not the game. Everyone except you... "Only you, a clear indication that the problem lies with your lack of ability to understand simple things."

See the pattern yet? I bet you don't.
Edited by Synol#1750 on 10/30/2012 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The code already exists. In normal mode if you get DCed and come back into the game you don't lose your NV stacks most of the time.
Reply Quote
cant do this, otherwise no one except dh and wiz would ever die
Reply Quote
@Synol

Drunken Posting again are we? I and others may tell you that your post is laughably hard to follow and the OP's posts would win in any contest. Also Wireless is not inferior technology, every technology has its perks. Wireless's being that we not need run that bothersome cable or remain at one single location IE: By Ethernet port in corner of room. That most people these days do not waste time and effort on wiring their home for ethernet as it is not needed.

If you don't want to run ethernet cabling through your house, but still want something more reliable than wireless: Powerline AV.

I have used them for about a year now and have never had a d/c in D3 or SC2 related to its failure. Had 1 d/c when a real server restart occurred at the start of D3 and one service interruption when CenturyLink had a technical issue that caused a couple of blocks to be without service for about 10 hours.
Reply Quote
Need some firm clarification here. I have been playing HC and really enjoy the challenge it creates.
Question: If i DC from battlenet servers while playing HC mode when i am not even fighting mobs I will die? If so that seems pretty fracking weak.

I couldn't discern whether you would die from mob attacks or if it is just a game mechanic.

Thanks for the information either way.
Reply Quote
Need some firm clarification here. I have been playing HC and really enjoy the challenge it creates.
Question: If i DC from battlenet servers while playing HC mode when i am not even fighting mobs I will die? If so that seems pretty fracking weak.

I couldn't discern whether you would die from mob attacks or if it is just a game mechanic.

Thanks for the information either way.

You die from mob attacks; however, there has been some suspicious deaths where people were not around mobs at all at the time of disconnect but were killed by "unknown." This issue may have been "fixed" since I have not seen a post like this in a month or so and it use to be a weekly occurrence.
Reply Quote
How hard is it to pause and save the game state for 5 minutes? If the player can't get back on within 5 minutes, then they get their 10 second beat down just like now. If they can get back, then they have to play their way through the situation as if they had never DCed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Synol
the problem lies with your lack of ability to understand simple things
Troll all you like my friend helps keep my post on top.

By the way this post is not just about the use of wireless in any way shape or form. This is also not about how Synol views wireless over a wire or how competent he feels the Op is. You are the one that got on here crying about how everything can be solved with a wire and can claim to have some great insight we are all missing when this is in fact not accurate.

This is thread is about the fact that there needs to be a "Link Dead Detection" and "Protection" for all Hardcore users and all hardware users. An Ethernet wire will not stop an ISP Outage, Power Outage, or bad Anti-virus update that kills your ethernet do to a firewall or disconnects of any other sort. In an all Online Game-

10/29/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Susamik
We should be protected from death during unpredictable and unpreventable connection loss.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/30/2012 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@ItsACheatPPL -- Anyone who thinks this would be some "BIG CHEAT" I will let you in on something most people are very Optimistic in their decisions. Fact of the matter is most people will stay Optimistic "Past The Point of No Return."

Here is the True Scenario
1st: You have to make a decision that you are indeed going to die. For most people this alone is Not Easy Because you admit to yourself that you Failed and or are Going to Fail.

2nd: And Remember you're playing Hardcore and you're in the Flight Mode of (Fight or Flight) trying to save your bum and Its Extremely Hard to just let go of Your Controls and take the next Step. This is EVEN HARDER Than the First Step of admitting you failed. - That is to give up your Control.

3rd: Say you made it this far still alive, now a third decision what you're going to do now- Try and Cheat -Or- Not to Try and Cheat? - Yes, I am aware they may have already made this decision ahead of time but you still re-affirm this decision in your head.

4th: Now assuming you did not go with the later, you still need to perform that Action IE: Yank out Power/Ethernet or try and alt tab and Disconnect Wireless.

Side Note: Most people know yanking the Power Cord/Flipping Switch on Power Supply: CAN and WILL Damage Your PC - Especially if you did it Often. Which drastically reduces the use of this method because people are NOT willing to Damage their Gaming Rig for their Hardcore Toons Life.

Now the Odds that The "Cheater" (whom we know is the MAJOR Minority of players)
Will admit to themselves they Messed Up and are going to DIE Now, are now going to drop the controls of their Toon, and Then Perform the Action of Alt-tab'n out or trying to Disable Wireless or Power/Ethernet cord yank. AND somehow *Doing ALL of this Before their Life Globe is Empty are Slim to None.

Side Note: Cheaters are Lazy by Definition -- what makes you think they will go through all this trouble to set up their PC in such away that they can yank out the cord at a Seconds Notice. If in fact a cheater has this kind of determination they will find "A Way" whether or not the rest of us get a real help like the System proposed here.

Again: @ItsACheatPPL -- Recap Cheaters: - Where there is a will there is a way but, that should not mean all Suffer! - (It is Amazing how people in America are satisfied with giving up their Rights or Freedoms to protect against the few. But thats another topic altogether.)

The Equation:
Take the Minority of Players-->(Cheaters) and now Reduce that number by the above Fact that they Will almost ALWAYS FAIL to pull this off as a reliable cheat. = The small number is now even smaller.

And what do you get?:
No threat to Blizzard at ALL to have a System that Protects the Average Legit Hardcore Player from disconnects. Thus making a Better Game for Hardcore Players. Which in turn makes more people willing to continue playing Hardcore. Trust me it is Hard to continue without it and it is unfair to the wireless crowd to have to Re-roll on every wireless hiccup. Yes, I say crowd because there are A LOT of us these days.

+1
I was about to explain all of that but you did it well.
My godly monk died from a power failure because of a fire in my neighbouhood. Losing a 100+ hours character for the wrong reasons is a pain. I wish I had died before, from my own mistakes.

ONLY concern to this being implemented is the Monk and WD passives to prevent death. That could give you the time to unplug something I think.

Anyway, have you ever seen a blue post on Hardcore forums? Never. Blizzard team does not play Hardcore, they don't test Hardcore, and honestly, they seem to tweak the game in consideration of softcore only.

Blue, please post to prove me wrong.

Please "Like" my post maybe it will draw attention :)
Reply Quote
An Ethernet wire will not stop an ISP Outage, Power Outage, or bad Anti-virus update that kills your ethernet do to a firewall or disconnects of any other sort. In an all Online Game-

We should be protected from death during unpredictable and unpreventable connection loss.

In an ideal world this would be possible. In the real world, not so much. That is not to say that more couldn't be done, but what you describe here sounds pretty utopian to me.
Edited by Dralix#1318 on 10/30/2012 2:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't see what is unrealistic about some DC protection. It has been suggested many times that DCs trigger an extended pause with a time limit. That way pulling the cable is not an escape, only a delay. Yes there are some unpreventable DCs that can last for a long time. But 90% of them are brief, right? Like that time I finished the boss and moments later the laptop died because it was never plugged in....

What does seem unrealistic is any blue attention/response on this or any other hardcore issue.
Reply Quote
I'm not saying some protection is unrealistic. I'm saying that expecting a guarantee against

ISP Outage, Power Outage, or bad Anti-virus update that kills your ethernet do to a firewall or disconnects of any other sort

which Susamik seems to be looking for, is unrealistic. I said right up front that more could be done. But I don't expect us to ever have a foolproof system that protects from every death from connection loss.
Reply Quote
I don't see what is unrealistic about some DC protection. It has been suggested many times that DCs trigger an extended pause with a time limit. That way pulling the cable is not an escape, only a delay. Yes there are some unpreventable DCs that can last for a long time. But 90% of them are brief, right? Like that time I finished the boss and moments later the laptop died because it was never plugged in....

What does seem unrealistic is any blue attention/response on this or any other hardcore issue.

Auto pause can't work in multiplayer.

If Blizz could come up with some solutions by themselves that'd be sweet.

Unfortunately, we would have to post in the General for that. Blues skip this part of the forums.
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 03:32 PMPosted by JohnnyFive
It has been suggested many times that DCs trigger an extended pause with a time limit.

I think the main problem with this is that by the time the server realizes you've been disconnected, it's already too late.
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Dralix
It has been suggested many times that DCs trigger an extended pause with a time limit.

I think the main problem with this is that by the time the server realizes you've been disconnected, it's already too late.

I believe there is a two-part solution that could work.

First off, treat the user's regular input keys as a form of dead man switch, where if there are enemies on-screen, and nothing is being done in response, it is treated as a high probability of a DC scenario. Maybe have some additional conditions in there as well, such as being knocked down to 75% health (still with no keyboard or mouse response).

Second, when a DC scenario has been triggered, have the AI take over the fight and try to survive long enough that it can open a town portal and leave. So escape would not be guaranteed, but the AI would have a chance to show that escape was possible. Further, to prevent abuse, it would make sense that zero experience, gold, drop etc. would occur when under AI control.

The problem with this solution is that Blizzard does not necessarily have AI heuristics developed for player toons. Mind you, perhaps it would suffice that in "AI mode" your toon is essentially a bag of dps and hit points, rather than a fully developed set of AI instructions that simulate complex player behaviour.
Reply Quote
Yes, DC protection should have been implemented on release. There has been a heap of these threads that have all unfortunately been ignored. I just had a massive lag spike as soon as I engaged The Butcher on MP1 Hardcore. Hit Esc til it passed but it it was a DC I'd be dead.

And to all those people that scream "CHEATERS WILL BENEFIT!!1!!1" please take the time to read some of the other threads on this topic or just use your imagination a little. There are ways to implement this so it can't be abused.

My favorite for single player is for the server to pause the game until a reconnect. When the player un-lags or reconnects they are in exactly the same position. They just unpause and continue. If they stay DC'sd for an extended period of time (say 1+ days) then the server treats it as it does currently - run for 10+ seconds then log out.

Multiplayer is a bit harder but hopefully you have people to help you out. My favorite idea for this is when a player is detected lagging the game pauses with a "Waiting for Player" screen. They get a few minutes to reconnect before the other players can select to unpause the game and continue. If they do this then 10+ seconds after unpause the DC'd player id logged out.

If a player is constantly lagging then they can be kicked from the game.

An option that people bring up a lot which I think makes the situation much worse is auto run to X point. This might work in games lihe LoL but not Diablo 3. I can just see someone lagging for a bit in a perfectly safe area which then causes the server to run their character straight into a group of mobs between them and the closest WP all the while screaming "I'M SAVING YOU!!! :D !!!".
Reply Quote
10/30/2012 04:51 PMPosted by Dralix

There should be plenty of time to detect and pause. We're talking lag *and* DC protection. The server doesn't have to wait for a full DC to be confirmed.

During normal game play the server should be constantly receiving packets from the client. If this stops for more than, say, 1 second then the game is paused. I'm sure it's a little more complicated than this (e.g. if packets get 1+ seconds out of sync?) but their network guys should be able to figure out something pretty robust.

So worst case you have a 2 second lag spike while running that you may not even notice normally and the game menu pops up pausing the game. I'd much prefer this than standing around doing nothing in the middle of an Arcane Desecrator Vortex Horde pack of heavy hitting mobs while lagging.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]