Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

Synol looks butthurt.

I just want to say that I stopped playing Diablo 3 because of this problem. I've Dced 4 or 5 times in 300+hours of gameplay, so my connection is not perfect but pretty stable, and I lost 2 HC characters to these dc. The last time it happened, I promised myself that I won't play anymore until they fix this, if they ever do.
Reply Quote
I love Diablo 3 but I'm done with the game as well. No hard feelings. I've just had many hardcore characters die do to technical issues, with an overwhelming majority dieing to cpu crashes or DCs (10 dead, most lvl 60s, in which 8 died to DC/CPU Crash). I should have probably played softcore, but it isn't exciting. It was fun while it lasted. Peace
Reply Quote
They really do. Haven't had one yet, but I dread the day I lose a high paragon character with epic gear to a faulty internet connection.
Reply Quote
I've lost a few characters, mostly my own fault. Its discouraging in its own right.

When I'm farming act 2 inferno in my extremely overgeared expensive monk entirely fine, 1-2 shotting all trash mobs, taking my time, simply enjoying the fact that I was paragon on HC.

Molten, fast, fire chain, frozen comes along but its no big deal i'm a tank with 1,000+ res all, 56k life, and enough damage to kill the elite mob in 5-6 hits.

Engage the enemy!... enemy stops moving, I stop moving, screen stops moving. Ah crap I think... Goes to the character screen and phew my characters alive. Then the disconnected from battle.net popup comes. Okay log in screen, I type my stuff in quick as a dart, but nope can't connect. Alt tab to internet, loads flawlessly, pandora running the entire time without a hitch.

Switch back to d3 try to log in again. Success! My monks wearing different... no that's my SC monk... Switch Character... (Dead).........

Assassin's Creed 3 came out monday ^.^
Reply Quote
why is this thread not dead yet? if you have bad internetz then dont do HC. why take a risk cuz u hit a lag spike when solo or w/e. stick to sc imo. they nerfed inferno enough for you not to die even if u hit a 5 second lag spike. there is the protection right there!
Reply Quote
10/31/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Yoness
I love Diablo 3 but I'm done with the game as well. No hard feelings. I've just had many hardcore characters die do to technical issues, with an overwhelming majority dieing to cpu crashes or DCs (10 dead, most lvl 60s, in which 8 died to DC/CPU Crash). I should have probably played softcore, but it isn't exciting. It was fun while it lasted. Peace

ur done d3 cuz of your own issues? wow... if you had previous hc toons die from this, why be stubborn and continue to play hc? learn to adapt imo. not to sound troll, but as you kind of said... you should have probably played softcore; which is 100% correct.

so why not continue to play d3 in softcore? maybe you are done for now, but probably in a few weeks or months when they release a new patch you will get the "itch" to come back to it.
Reply Quote
The thread isn't dead because its a common topic of discussion for people. A forum is a place to talk. What we talk about is up to us.

Of course wherever people talk there will be snarky trolls with unconstructive responses as well. You take it with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote
The thread isn't dead because its a common topic of discussion for people. A forum is a place to talk. What we talk about is up to us.

Of course wherever people talk there will be snarky trolls with unconstructive responses as well. You take it with a grain of salt.

im not trolling, im asking legit questions.
Reply Quote
Meh, I have never lost an HC character to a disconnect before. This is the first time, and between the signet i spent 10 hours farming, the gems in gear, and the hours and hours spent grinding weaker mobs just to avoid dieing, losing a toon to a disconnect is pretty... disappointing.

This isn't a rage post, or a tearful post or anything of that sort. Looking at your Demon Hunter, I can tell you that it doesn't really compare. Add 13k dps to your damage, add 600 resist all, 500 armor, a leorics signet worth 40 mil, etc etc. Now loose that all in a place where you are way too overpowered to be farming to begin with, and you are definately losing income per hour just being there. And the loss isn't your fault, simply an act of god, a temporary loss of data transmission, that happens maybe once every 6 months.

I dont have connection issues. I never disconnect. But i'm not placing any blame either. The fact of the matter is simply this thread exists to outline a fallacy in Diablo 3, and for people to talk about it.

People lose HC chars to disconnects. The question is simply, is this an acceptable or reasonable way to lose a hardcore toon?

Blizz has made their decision regarding this naturally. That doesn't mean we cant talk about it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Synol
I call you laughable.
You call me laughable.
I say you're crying.
You say I'm crying.

Yeah it is clear you are projecting your hate for your self on to me and when I hold up the Mirror it hurts when you see your true self. Watch this, I will hold up that Mirror again Synol.

10/31/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Synol
the problem is you
Reply Quote
disconnect death probably the best solution to discourage people to play 24/7. The more you play the higher chance you get d/c.
Reply Quote
I'm very glad that we have good internet out here and I have a good system with a UPS, but I know that one day my luck will run out. Until that day comes I'll just focus on getting tankier and tankier, keep bumping up ehp AND life, and screw the MF gear unless a gg piece happens to have MF on it. And playing with friends as often as possible in the hope that they recognize it when you get DC'd and protect your a$$.

I did DC once btw, right after 1.05 came out, but fortunately I was in menus. Shouldn't have been playing at all that night, but just got a bit lucky.
Reply Quote
I call you laughable.
You call me laughable.
I say you're crying.
You say I'm crying.

I see what you did there. Doesn't work, but I see what you did there.

If you really were a network admin, which you clearly are not (unless networking 2 cups together via a piece of string counts). You would know that disconnects are 99.9% avoidable on the users side. Which is why in all my time playing D3 I've disconnected only once. If you go back and read this thread, that is exactly what every person posting in here except you is trying to tell you. And is exactly why Blizzard doesn't care about this stupid topic at all. Their servers are fine the problem is you.

But enough from me. Have fun buddy. You'll get as far in D3 as you did in life.

10/31/2012 11:01 AMPosted by JcS

ur done d3 cuz of your own issues? wow... if you had previous hc toons die from this, why be stubborn and continue to play hc? learn to adapt imo. not to sound troll, but as you kind of said... you should have probably played softcore; which is 100% correct.

so why not continue to play d3 in softcore? maybe you are done for now, but probably in a few weeks or months when they release a new patch you will get the "itch" to come back to it.

I think you're both missing the point. It's impossible to avoid all game interruptions, whether it's an ISP issue, game bug, power outage or something mostly avoidable on the client (e.g. an automatic update, lag) it is impossible to avoid altogether.

I completely agree that you can minimize the risks. You can not reduce them to a 0% chance that you will ever be disconnected from a game.

I was fine for over 300 hours of HC game play. I had three lag spikes but I lived through them by either pausing the game until it recovered (no other net issues at the time) or by spamming CD's until it came back when bringing up the menu wouldn't pause the game because no packets were getting through at all.

What did it for me was losing my 136 hour Barb (who had soloed Diablo) to a client crash caused by killing a unique mob I'd never seen before. It was on 1 pixel of health and the frame my next swing is just about to hit the screen goes white and the "this program has stopped responding" window pops up. I give it a sec then relaunch but my character is dead. Was that crash my fault? How could I have avoided it? It's the only client crash I can recall...

It's unfair and ignorant to say that all DC's are the users fault or that HC is not for people who can't stand loosing a character through pure chance. It may even be true that none of these DC's are Blizzards fault but it doesn't automatically mean it's the users. Care to fill me in on the next time the power will go out, my ISP will go down, or I'll have a client bug or a physical cable fault? All these things have happened in the last couple of years here. Is there some magical land where these things are guaranteed to never happen? Can we all move there? Except you of course since you never have any issues.

HC is meant to be about the challenge of not dying through skill and care, not a game of Russian Roulette. Even if it's only 1 bullet and a million empty chambers.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Elzilcho
It's unfair and ignorant to say that all DC's are the users fault or that HC is not for people who can't stand loosing a character through pure chance.

Well, the "not all DC is the user's fault" bit I agree with. However, I think that (at least now, I wasn't around for launch, etc) there's probably plenty of people who don't even check their net, etc, and just call it blizzard's fault. That is not to say it's *never* blizzard's fault, either (see today, where people were punted from games due to an auth server issue).

As far as not being able to stand losing a character through pure chance - pure chance could easily put you in a situation that's far beyond what you'd normally be set up for. I was in the fields one time (this was probably 2-3 weeks ago, if not longer, definitely prepatch). I got charged by a bull from offscreen that, as far as I could tell later, was pulled by a shock pulse/peircing orb that I'd shot off screen while fighting a pack. Sucked out a ton of my health. If it'd been an elite, I might have been dead - and I wouldn't have seen it coming (charge animation, etc did not happen onscreen). Of course, the flip side of that is, I could have been better geared, could have taken more time, so it's not entirely outside my control. The point, however, is that happenstance can take you out in ways that aren't just DC's. Maybe you get two ridiculous packs where you see one, pull it, and pulling it pulls the other (which has also happened to me). There's a lot about the game and what mobs are there, etc, that is basically chance. So the bit about "HC is not for people who can't stand loosing a character by pure chance" ... well, if you're going to be sad or on tilt for a bit, that's probably fine. But chance deaths are more than just DC's, and DC's are a known risk that can be prepared for (in the sense of being mentally ready for it to happen - and in fact, I think that as characters become more powerful, the probability that if they die, it will be a DC that takes them out, grows - people should realize that and think about what it means and if they'd be ok rerolling after. And if they had their fun and quit, that's ok too).
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/1/2012 11:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Once long ago I thought DC deaths were something that happened only during the first month of gameplay when the servers were still unstable. Then I lost a character last month (at time of death the 4th highest DH in plvl on the US server) to a DC.

If you've never lost a character to a DC before, that's great. However I think the odds of losing a character to a DC somewhere down the line (as long as you keep playing) is almost a certainty.

Take the Error 73 thing a few hours ago. That was a mass DC that happened to everyone that happened to be on at that time. There was no warning that it was about to happen, it just happened suddenly.

If you were logged on but in the AH at that point of time, you were spared. If you were not logged on at that point of time, you were spared. If you were in town or had no mobs around you at that point of time, you were spared. If you were fighting elites or even white mobs at the time of the error 73, you are dead.

How is that not a lottery? Sure, life is also like a lottery, but at least the odds of you dying to some random accident in any given day is like one in several million. The odds of your character dying to a DC or mass DC is probably one in a hundred (~1 DC death per 3 months if you play 1-2 hours everyday)
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Zenith
How is that not a lottery? Sure, life is also like a lottery, but at least the odds of you dying to some random accident in any given day is like one in several million. The odds of your character dying to a DC or mass DC is probably one in a hundred (~1 DC death per 3 months if you play 1-2 hours everyday)

To be fair to your analogy, the average D3 character leads a more dangerous life than the average human person.

If the average human dropped dead every 3 months or so, I'd be asking for a refund.
Reply Quote
Fair enough. Yeah if the average human's lifespan is every 3 months I doubt I would be old enough to ask for a refund anyway.

The thing that gets me is that while most DC deaths and lag deaths are usually preventable, mass DCs caused by sudden server outages is completely unpreventable and the only way you'll survive something like that is pure dumb luck (e.g. using the AH at the time, toilet break, etc.).

Seeing some people on my friends list and on the forums succumb to such randomness is what really gets me. Because it's completely unpreventable, and strikes without warning.

I'm not sure if some of you were online when that thing occurred, because as long as you were logged in it was a 100% DC, and you were unable to log in until several hours later were servers were back up.
Reply Quote

The thing that gets me is that while most DC deaths and lag deaths are usually preventable, mass DCs caused by sudden server outages is completely unpreventable and the only way you'll survive something like that is pure dumb luck (e.g. using the AH at the time, toilet break, etc.).

Sure. But that's a risk we can't do anything about right now other than be aware of it, and be ready for it to happen. You can manage it to an extent (have backup characters, backup gear, etc) just like any other cause of death.

I hate seeing people die to DC. It looks like it sucks. It's in all probability going to happen to me - but what's more productive, as long as Blizzard hasn't put in some form of DC protection - given that there's no indication they ever will? You can either play HC and prep yourself for it, or play HC and *not* prep yourself for it, or play SC and not have to deal with it, or just not play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]