Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

I am not an expert on internet connectivity and everything that can cause an interruption. And I really don't care enough to become one. Yes I play on wireless because I prefer playing in the dining room to the office. If I DC, so be it. It has happened and I wasn't happy, but it is definitely not going to make me go back to softcore. However, the next time it happens I might just decide to start playing something else or, god forbid, do some work for that thing called my job. Seriously, D3 is just a game. If they aren't going to make it as fun as it can be, then people will quit sooner rather than later.

I'm not going to QQ about it, but I do think we should keep this issue alive on the forums. I don't know if Blizzard will do anything about the problem, but I know they wont' if we never talk about it here.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Anomie
It's unfair and ignorant to say that all DC's are the users fault or that HC is not for people who can't stand loosing a character through pure chance.

Well, the "not all DC is the user's fault" bit I agree with. However, I think that (at least now, I wasn't around for launch, etc) there's probably plenty of people who don't even check their net, etc, and just call it blizzard's fault. That is not to say it's *never* blizzard's fault, either (see today, where people were punted from games due to an auth server issue).

As far as not being able to stand losing a character through pure chance - pure chance could easily put you in a situation that's far beyond what you'd normally be set up for. I was in the fields one time (this was probably 2-3 weeks ago, if not longer, definitely prepatch). I got charged by a bull from offscreen that, as far as I could tell later, was pulled by a shock pulse/peircing orb that I'd shot off screen while fighting a pack. Sucked out a ton of my health. If it'd been an elite, I might have been dead - and I wouldn't have seen it coming (charge animation, etc did not happen onscreen). Of course, the flip side of that is, I could have been better geared, could have taken more time, so it's not entirely outside my control. The point, however, is that happenstance can take you out in ways that aren't just DC's. Maybe you get two ridiculous packs where you see one, pull it, and pulling it pulls the other (which has also happened to me). There's a lot about the game and what mobs are there, etc, that is basically chance. So the bit about "HC is not for people who can't stand loosing a character by pure chance" ... well, if you're going to be sad or on tilt for a bit, that's probably fine. But chance deaths are more than just DC's, and DC's are a known risk that can be prepared for (in the sense of being mentally ready for it to happen - and in fact, I think that as characters become more powerful, the probability that if they die, it will be a DC that takes them out, grows - people should realize that and think about what it means and if they'd be ok rerolling after. And if they had their fun and quit, that's ok too).

There is a huge difference between random encounters in the game (bad affix combos on tough mobs or double packs) and random DC's.

I can stand dying to random encounters in the game. If I leap blindly into a champion pack and there is another one right next to it it then I'll deal with it and be happy. it adds to the excitement and is why I play hardcore. I find it extremely boring having not risk at all. It's why I soloed Diablo and played on MP1 instead of safely farming Act 1 MP0.

But, the key point is, it's avoidable risk. I can make sure I'm in an area I'm geared enough for so I can at least escape from a bad encounter. It's why I didn't go into Inferno Act 4 when Opressors had their WTF-Double-Damage-From-Offscreen-Charge. I knew about that and could avoid it - by not going in to that act until it was fixed (or I was massively over geared).

DC's are completely different. You might be able to over gear so a couple of Act 1 MP0 white mobs can't kill you while DC'd but anything else you're dreaming. There is no skill involved - you don't even see it coming.

Now, I do *kind* of agree with the point that it's a known issue with the game so be prepared for it - in the sense that I was aware I could DC. But being aware of something and it being fair are completely different things.

I admit did knowingly have my head in the sand there. Because it hadn't happened yet I figured it might not happen. Now that it has I'm left with some !@#$ty options - keep playing and it may happen again, play SC or stop playing.

I'm going to choose stop playing.

What I'm also going to do is keep being vocal about this topic because I think it's something Blizzard could fix without too much effort if enough people keep making noise about it. It is a major issue affecting the only thing that makes hardcore hardcore.

P.S. Here is my first HC death that was completely my own fault, which I was happy with. I leveled another character straight away to try again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18TDt-_5LU
Reply Quote
the game wouldnt be exciting if you dont hit lag spikes or get disconnected!
its part of the game. have a friend protect you while u stand still on top of that arcane lazer beam!!
Reply Quote
DC deaths are depressing, I agree. But in my opinion there are just too many variables to expect Blizzard to be able to ensure constant, smooth gameplay. I have been having lag spikes like crazy these past few weeks, so I havent been on much. It's been my choice to do other things with my time, rather than let it frustrate me. My connection is pretty good, so I can understand how it would become annoying if you had a weaker connection, but.. (not to sound rude) it's a game and it runs off magic as far as I'm concerned. I just don't see why this is an issue to "make noise" about. I understand being frustrated, but some people make it sound like DC protection is akin to something on the bill of rights..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@Anomie

11/01/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Anomie
I hate seeing people die to DC. It looks like it sucks. It's in all probability going to happen to me - but what's more productive, as long as Blizzard hasn't put in some form of DC protection - given that there's no indication they ever will? You can either play HC and prep yourself for it, or play HC and *not* prep yourself for it, or play SC and not have to deal with it, or just not play.

Or Blizzard could implement some type of "Link Dead Protection"

We should be protected from death during unpredictable and unpreventable connection loss.
When our only option of play is ONLINE thanks to Blizzards Game Design.
Reply Quote
We're not whining, it ruins the experience. There has to be something done about dying because of server issues or hiccups in the connection. The lack of anything put in place is completely blizzard's fault and they need to fix it. There's no reason so many people need to die because of something they have no control over.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 02:07 AMPosted by Susamik
Or Blizzard could implement some type of "Link Dead Protection"

*Christian Slater Voice* I'll repeat myself.

11/01/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Anomie
as long as Blizzard hasn't put in some form of DC protection - given that there's no indication they ever will?

Sure, you can advocate for DC protection. Fine. The point is, if you're going to play hardcore, you'd better prep yourself for anything that you know can happen.

Whether it's something that's under your control or not. The way the game is right now, is the way the game is right now.

If DC's are something that you absolutely can't deal with - then don't play hardcore until they make it not a problem. At the same time, you should realize that they may never do that, no matter how many people post that they should.
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/3/2012 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You can't prep for everything, obviously. I'd like to see anyone who can take getting bashed by mobs for 10 seconds in act 3 inferno and then you tell them, "you should have prepared to be disconnected."
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Elzilcho
Now, I do *kind* of agree with the point that it's a known issue with the game so be prepared for it - in the sense that I was aware I could DC. But being aware of something and it being fair are completely different things.

Life isn't fair. Since I'm on a movie quote kick today, I'll add: "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something".

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm saying it is how it is. I'm saying if people want to do well in hardcore, they're better off knowing that and being mentally prepared for it. If they have fun playing HC they're better off playing HC with full knowledge and preparation than thinking that not playing HC will somehow make blizzard do something about it.

I'm going to choose stop playing.

And that's a perfectly acceptable choice, too. Until it gets to the point where it's basically becoming "I'm gonna cry on the forums about how I'm not going to play until something is done". At that point it is, imho, nothing more than a childish attempt at manipulation. (Not saying you are doing this, necessarily. But there are a lot of posts, not even necessarily about DCs, that approach that kind of mentality).
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/3/2012 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/03/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Anomie
you'd better prep yourself for anything that you know can happen.

O' I got a bank and 3 player Invs of Lowbee stuff cause I know I am Going to die from Lag Spikes and DC's so I am prepared.

That does not mean I love Losing all the Time I put into a toon due to something that is out of my control. Sure Even if they Fix Disconnects the Lag Spikes will get us but at least the Disconnects won't! We will not have to start over Quite as often maybe.

Yes, I am going to Complain about it here because I CAN! and I SHOULD and MAYBE Blizz will do something about it. But if they don't see any Complaints they definitely won't fix it.

All we can do is Hope a little and Try a little to make Blizz aware that there is an issue that they could address and possibly resolve.

We will keep Dieing till they Fix It Maybe or move on to something else.

P.S. Dear, Blizzard while you're Fixing away at this game-
-Blizz we Need: More Bank Space --
"3 Tabs: 5-10 Toons, 60lvls of Gear, Crafting Items, Gems? Comeon!"
-Blizz we Need: Some way to 'Identify All'
-Blizz we Need: Craft All or Craft Number Buttons
-Blizz we Need: To be able to Set Auction Lengths or Sell more than 10 Items
-Blizz we Need: Search by name in AH
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/4/2012 5:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
most practical idea i hear was make the timer like 5 seconds, its not enough to pull the plug at any time, but enough that if a random interruption occurs you most likely wont die.

Life isn't fair. Since I'm on a movie quote kick today, I'll add: "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something".

Princess bride? one of my favorites as a kid XD
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 11/4/2012 5:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/04/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Isolation
Princess bride? one of my favorites as a kid XD

Yep. Still one of my favorites.

"You seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to kill you." ... "You seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to die." ;)
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Chobee
You can't prep for everything, obviously. I'd like to see anyone who can take getting bashed by mobs for 10 seconds in act 3 inferno and then you tell them, "you should have prepared to be disconnected."

By "prep," I'm pretty sure they mean having backup lowbie gear with +exp to help minimize time spent levelling.
Reply Quote
I bought a UPS in case of power loss to play HC, this fixes on problem. I died 2 times out of 2 because of D/C and I'm always playing other character in group now in case it happens again. One way to fix this problem should be to reduce the time it takes to timeout, instead of like 10 seconds they could reduce it to 3-5 secs and it would be great.
Reply Quote
11/04/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Vzzdak
By "prep," I'm pretty sure they mean having backup lowbie gear with +exp to help minimize time spent levelling.

Yeah, that, and things like that. (I don't personally keep a ton of low level gear anymore because it takes up too much room. However, I have a few of the best pieces still - the lvl 23 int/vit gungdo gear that was my second legendary drop, some decent 40s-ish weapons, etc. Instead of keeping gear, I made sure I had a backup sixty that I could use to drop into wherever gear around the level I would need drops, and farm stuff up when I need it. So, for instance, if I want a helm with socket and the prices on the AH are too insane for me, I'd just drop my WD into AII normal MP10 and farm for a bit and pick up a helm with a socket, as specific stats aren't really needed that low, almost any helm will do. The point is really, have a plan and be ready to execute it - even if it's as simple as 'keep a cain's set and have a way (gold, friends) to get powerleveled')

Minimize the risk (make sure your net, etc. is set up correctly as much as you can, the above suggestion about UPS isn't bad if you want to do that and can afford it, etc), risk can't totally be eliminated, so make sure you're set up and OK with what you want to do in the case that it happens, basically. Which sort of includes deciding whether or not you want to play HC at all given the risk (For instance, if you know you're going to tilt to the point of not wanting to reroll when it happens, maybe you don't want HC. Maybe you want to play SC and self-enforce HC rules (i.e. self delete on non-DC deaths). Which IMHO is fine and really no different than someone self-enforcing purist, etc. Shouldn't have to, in the abstract sense - but since the game is how it is maybe that's what you want to do.).
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 11/5/2012 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Machinegon
I bought a UPS in case of power loss to play HC, this fixes on problem. I died 2 times out of 2 because of D/C and I'm always playing other character in group now in case it happens again. One way to fix this problem should be to reduce the time it takes to timeout, instead of like 10 seconds they could reduce it to 3-5 secs and it would be great.

The thing is its way more than 10 sec right now. It takes anywhere between 30 and 45 seconds before the server even realize that you disconnected, then the 10 second timer starts...
Edited by Geez#1863 on 11/5/2012 9:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, it hasn't happened to me yet but I really loathe the idea of it happening and think Blizzard should do something about this.
Edited by JP2U#1414 on 11/6/2012 1:08 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]