Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

Hit 60 tonight on my hc WD (again).

a few mil spent, a few hours farming, died to a DC in vault of the assassin. I wondered if I should blame myself, thinking I should have known to log off after a good run...

But nope.. now i have to re-level, due to battle.net server lag.

sweet. That makes 2 DC deaths. It would be fine if I had killed myself, I would know what to avoid or change to not do it next time. but this... is insulting.
Edited by insta#1101 on 11/12/2012 12:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
They should do something when their servers crash.. :( lol sucks when you did nothing wrong.
Reply Quote
Besure to check your pc, it could be underpowered. Most pc have poor PSU, that wont keep up long term gameplay on some games depending on type of graphic settings and hardwares.

Try this, if you have skyrim and play fine for six hours straight. Then you should be okay, but for some games it have it problems.

Like most of us checking the drivers, OS, stable connections, etcs. One thing for sure is to disabled the anti-virus programs and auto update on Wins.

There are so many things can happen to make your games unstable time to time, even for OS too.
Reply Quote
Just happened to me. Playing just fine, suddenly my char is swinging at empty air. Can't exit the game, can't do anything. Finally get out, try to log back in, and get the error switching characters message. Finally able to log in this morning, and my char is dead. I send an e-mail to blizzard, telling them exactly the situation and how the death occured, and they tell me they are very sorry to hear about it but there is nothing they can do.

I agree that this makes hardcore untenable. My case was an obvious service interruption on the server side. I can't think of any other business where this level of service and this kind of customer relationship would be acceptable.
Reply Quote
Just happened to me. Playing just fine, suddenly my char is swinging at empty air. Can't exit the game, can't do anything. Finally get out, try to log back in, and get the error switching characters message. Finally able to log in this morning, and my char is dead. I send an e-mail to blizzard, telling them exactly the situation and how the death occured, and they tell me they are very sorry to hear about it but there is nothing they can do.

I agree that this makes hardcore untenable. My case was an obvious service interruption on the server side. I can't think of any other business where this level of service and this kind of customer relationship would be acceptable.

Always have a partner with you.

You'll die if you both DC...that's true...

but if only you DC, it's possible that he'll save you until the 10s count down ends.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/07/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Doctonic
no protection when disconnected should never have been allowed into this game. It turns a challenging environment into a gamble that replaces skill and dedication with "luck".

11/09/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Solsora
I just can't find the... balls to really invest my time into another toon when all the work and effort can be taken away through no fault of your own.

This issue is well within Blizzards Control or ability to address and fix it.

People Blizzard is one of the most Profitable Game developers out there they have the Resources to find 1000 coders that could fix this code over almost over night. To say it might not be that easy is false. There is high schoolers out there that could add code to this game that would see your client had dropped and your toon Gets like a DCMP Buff that only affects Monster DMG in the Negative but their HP goes Way Up and Kills, XP and Loot Stop for 20secs. This buff would also drop if your Client responded back before the 20sec was up. That makes it not viable as a cheat cause you can't Kill anything and they can't Kill you nothing to Gain. Like I said buff drops if your client responds back buff gone before you can tell your toon shoot = best you could do is prolong the inevitable by a few milliseconds if you tried to abuse it.

Hell, they don't even have to fix it just give us a patch that lets us play Offline and over Lan/Wan. The ability to Copy B-net toons to Offline but Offline toon is a Offline toon that you can use Offline and Over Lan/Wan other than B-net.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Blizzard's effort to adress this problem is really dissapointing.
I am fairly new to hardcore, but since the game is out for a while now and this was a problem since launch and even was to be expected to be a problem under the "be-always-online-to-play-solo" premise, I seriously doubt that it will be adressed in the forseable future.

My guess would be that the percentage of hc players is too small to justify allocating resources to fix it.
Did they even comment on this ever?

And btw, the cheater argument is a cheap excuse. Most hc players play hardcore to challenge themselves. If you cheat death, even once, you will have that in mind for the rest of the time you play that character. Any further "accomplishment" won't feel real, bc you know that your char is actualy dead. If you can live with that, fine, but I strongly doubt that this applies to the majority of hc players.
Reply Quote

if solo i always pause the game and leave it until it catches back up. sometimes takes a while but you'll see all the animations catch up to the point you paused it.

or you'll DC
Reply Quote
There are people reporting being stranded in game for around 50 secs with a DC

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903441243

Just fix it so that the game really takes you back to the menu in 10 seconds. Calculate it from the time stamp of the last packet received by the server(should be easy to patch into the next update). I believe folk are able to survive 10 seconds on a random DC but 50 secs is a kick in the balls for HC players.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Well I have logged back in, in under 10 seconds and was Dead to Unknown.

11/12/2012 12:52 PMPosted by Susamik
This issue is well within Blizzards Control or ability to address and fix it.

We should be protected from death during unpredictable and unpreventable connection loss.
When our only option of play is ONLINE thanks to Blizzards Game Design.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Everyday Some Poor Hardcore Player

Quote from Darkov:

I just had my first level 60 character in Diablo 3, and it was on hardcore. I did it because I hated softcore with a passion, to be able to just get back in, or buy items with real money to get best gear in a second, disgusted me.

My level 60 was a Barbarian. I played with two friends, one a monk the other a WD, both level 60 aswell. We came to inferno and started farming, we got good gear and the farming got A LOT easier. I could kill anything in seconds without seeing my health globe move.

Then it happened. I disconnect from the blizzard servers for some reason.

My internet connection is perfectly fine, no problems with it. I just didn't expect it do end that way, and that I wouldn't survive 10 seconds by being beaten by normal enemies.

I know I cannot get my character back, that's not what I'm here for. I'm done. I'm not playing this game if this kind of stuff is going to happen.

R.I.P Astrid :(
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Quote from DaVid:

To me, Hardcore means charging in, teeth bared not knowing if you will survive your attack on that monster Boss, Not will I survive my internet connection tonight. Surely there is a better way to address the issues of player abuse than to so severely punish those who experience a statistically expected internet interruption.
It is easy to replace items and gear. The auction house is great at that, wonderful idea Blizzard. And obviously I am talking Hardcore, I fight for what I trade, not RMAH. It is the time invested in a character, that is so arbitrarily lost, that really bothers me.

Blizzard please, examine your disconnect policy.

Sincerely,
DaVid
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Quote from LSU:

I have seen multiple people die to DC. Most times it took way more than 10 seconds for it to happen. I wish Blizzard would cut the HC community a break on this instead of punishing EVERYONE for the sins of a few.

Heck with the rollback thing we are seeing people revive dead characters anyways.

Throw us a bone blizzard.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Hardcores Die Due to No Fault of their Own just cause the don't always get the Memo.

Quote from Galx:

Blizz is doing emergency maintenance for the next hour or so and warned about random disconnects among other things:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005437660
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Posted by frosted:
Even if you take all the precaution in the world on your side, there's till many things which could happen between you and Blizz hardware. Things which are out of your and blizzard control.

It could still be an issue on Blizzard side (it happens a couple of times, but not that often, true)
It could be something between you and blizzard (your ISP or any other hops between you and blizzard servers)
It could also be an issue on your side, the player.
That's the basics of the Interwebs.

When making such an application/game, you're aware of these things. Reliability is (and should be) something to think about. You want to minimize as much as possible the effect of theses possible issues. Clearely, Blizzard skipped this step. How long did they take to make that game already?

I'm not going to go in details for that either, but we've (and I contributed to it) suggested many possibilities to improve the online-only game experience. But speaking to a deft or someone ignoring you is quite frustrating.

So in short, YES, disconnect-lag-game crashes ARE one of the game design issues.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Brought across from another thread on this issue.

Posted by LSU in response to someone that feels Hardcore Player should stop "Crying" about Disconnect Deaths and just play Softcore all the time:

11/14/2012 11:50 AMPosted by LSU
When I see someone come here and make these bold statements they are almost always wearing under 100m gold in items. Most times they are under paragon 20 and less than 10k elite kills in hardcore.

My Response to this:

Yeah, and like stated before its more of a problem for people in rural areas and things where the internet and power is not as reliable. These people have not had to Re-Roll 3-4 times in the process to 60 each time an Undeserved Death. As my last Quote states this is something that Blizzard Being One of the World Leaders if not Thee~ World Leader in Online Gaming should understand and Compensate their PAYING Customers when it is all ONLINE.

And I Suppose that since its not an issue for a big shot like REVENGE. That these People should Quit their line of work, Move to a New Town or State where the Internet is Better. All opposed to Blizzard adding "Link-dead Detection and Protection" in their game.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 3:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Question, what is the view on death's to bugs in the HC community?

Let me preface by saying, I didn't lose a ton of gold in gear, I wasn't level 60, but to say I was slightly miffed is an understatement.

I was talking to the Top US HC monk at the time and asking some questions regarding game play, abilities etc. I hit Dashing Strike and then used 7 Sided Strike. The outcome was my character became "trapped". I couldn't attack (not even with teleport abilities which would reposition my character), it would let me hit my potion, but it would not let me move. When I reached 0% health I didn't die. I just sat there. Baffled, I hit 7 sided strike again (which should've healed me for 4k). When I did, I disappeared for 2 seconds and died instantly.

Apparently, according to the monk I was talking with, this is a known bug. And when stuck, you're supposed to just log out, and you won't die. My question is, should Blizzard be more lenient on requests to revive dead characters when it was due to an issue they created?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yes (In the perfect world where people don't abuse the system), and No cause everyone will claim that it was a Problem on Blizzards side and Swamp them every time their Hardcore Player Dies... This is the reason for their 'Will Not Under Any Circumstances' Position. I kind of Agree with them on that. But when We find the Bugs and Issues like you described and like needing a "Link-dead Detection and Protection" They should Fix what they can with out Giving into just restoring Everyone's Dead HC.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/14/2012 3:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yea, that was mostly what I was curious about, if there was anyway to appeal. I thought it was 100% no way no how, but wasn't sure if anyone found a work around.

Again, if I have to spend another lump of time releveling the monk I lost, no biggie, but I'm not gonna lie if I had the gear of some people and that happened, I'd be FURIOUS. What Blizz is doing is like the IRS not having a way to challenge an audit finding.
Reply Quote
Yea, that was mostly what I was curious about, if there was anyway to appeal. I thought it was 100% no way no how, but wasn't sure if anyone found a work around.

Again, if I have to spend another lump of time releveling the monk I lost, no biggie, but I'm not gonna lie if I had the gear of some people and that happened, I'd be FURIOUS. What Blizz is doing is like the IRS not having a way to challenge an audit finding.

Furious with yourself for playing Hardcore when you know you can die from many causes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]