Diablo® III

Disconnect Deaths Kill HARDCORE Gameplay

10/23/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Gloath
Oh shi... OH SHI* I'M GOING TO DIE! Phew, I got the ethernet cable out in time.

I feel this POV but, I'd rather let criminals run free (people who do this) than put 1 innocent man in jail (people who don't)...

There has to be some compromise at some point or at least Blizz should address the issue.
Reply Quote
Well, I just died from d/c just now. Don't think I am gonna do hardcore until the issue is solved. Worse still, d/c when there are no monsters and the system will put the last fought creature as a cause of death. Such a lame excuse on the part of the system to find a cause to justify killing you when you get disconnected. Killed by the "ghost" of the creature you just killed.
Reply Quote
I was also just dc killed, its pretty sad how a mult billion dollar coorp cant get there sh!t together i would be ashamed and embarrassed if i was there network administrators and programmers.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Fyle

I feel this POV but, I'd rather let criminals run free (people who do this) than put 1 innocent man in jail (people who don't)...

There has to be some compromise at some point or at least Blizz should address the issue.

That argument is nonsense as has been pointed out in a lot of other posts. There are non-exploitable solutions like pausing games until reconnect. Reconnect with the game still paused of course to allow some time to get your bearings again before un-pausing.

Single Player - Keep the game alive and paused for hours (days?), then run for 10 secs and log if no reconnect.

Multi Player - Pause with a lag screen for a few minutes then give remaining players the option to continue, logging the DC'd/lagged player out in 10 seconds.

Just have to make sure that DC/lag is detected within a second or two. No use waiting 20 seconds to be really sure something is wrong before kicking in. Damage is done by them. Better to have the game occasionally pause for short lag spikes than run for too long on a DC.
Reply Quote
Yea, that was mostly what I was curious about, if there was anyway to appeal. I thought it was 100% no way no how, but wasn't sure if anyone found a work around.

Again, if I have to spend another lump of time releveling the monk I lost, no biggie, but I'm not gonna lie if I had the gear of some people and that happened, I'd be FURIOUS. What Blizz is doing is like the IRS not having a way to challenge an audit finding.

Furious with yourself for playing Hardcore when you know you can die from many causes.

You mean "when you can die from something random you have no control over"? Simply being aware that something can happen does not make it ok.

You are aware you may get cancer therefore you can't be upset if you get it? Or try to contribute to a cure? Yeah, solid argument.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Another bites the Dust.. Sorry to hear it man! This Thread is Pulling for a Fix!

Posted by Bolto:
I totally seem to be cursed at this point somehow when I get to PL9, just lost my second wiz to a D/C :/ And guess my gear wasn't good enough to survive it. RIP to her, best HC run I had, did get a inferno diablo clear on this one, so was happy with that. :) Just kinda a let down that I lost to something mostly out of my control, but D/C monster is part of the game that has to be accepted.

Probably time for a bit of a break from this game, but will be back.

D/C monster is part of the game that has to be accepted.

Accepted that is as a Problem! NOT Accepted as Quality and an Acceptable part of this Game.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 10/8/2013 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Another one Bites the Dust.. Sorry to hear it man! This Thread is Pulling for a Fix!

Posted by jamesonWSKY:
Internet keeps killing my 60's so I'm making mp10 no ah WD. Add me if you want to join in. jamesonwsky#1820

I understand, I'm just tired of stressing out over getting dropped for 5 seconds and losing 20-100 mil characters. Just looking to have some fun with nothing on the line.
Reply Quote
I played D2 HC with a dial-up connection and lost a lot of characters to lag related/disconnect deaths...

Never complained. Mourned my loss, rerolled, and corpse exploded my way back to hell.
Reply Quote
Haven’t lost a HC character yet *knock on wood*, but I have a great internet connection and have been disconnected twice in SC. One of those disconnects resulted in a death. I have over 400 hours logged and only two disconnects, but I am scared to death of losing my HC monk to this. If I disconnected more regularly I would not even delve into HC at all and I’m sure most players have it worse than me. I don’t care about people cheating as the OP has stated that isn’t my problem. I’m much more concerned with my own gaming experience.

+ 1 to finding a solution for this. I do like the paused game on DC idea with a set period of time to return to the game and resume from where the DC occurred.

P.S. For all of you saying “if you can’t handle DC don’t play HC”, “quit whining”, or “be prepared for DC with alternate toons and saved gear” you are totally missing the point of this post. This post is an attempt to get Blizzard’s attention and improve the game. Attempting to do that does not imply crying, lack of preparation, or not being able to handle a HC death. That should be obvious, but then again most of you probably haven’t read anything but the post’s title.
Reply Quote
I have never been disconnected while playing, I'm surprised they don't send you back to base. Maybe they could have a timer like when you teleport back to base. If you get disconnected while in a fight you could still get killed but at least there would be a chance.

EveOnline a game where you can also lose hours of play if you get killed, will put your character in "safe" place if you get disconnected. It takes time so if you are not in a relatively safe place when you get disconnected you can die but at least there is a chance. I think people have disconnected to save their ship and implants, ccp seems to know about it and they don't seem to mind. If your ship makes it out in time, good for you, if not too bad.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
P.S. For all of you saying “if you can’t handle DC don’t play HC”, “quit whining”, or “be prepared for DC with alternate toons and saved gear” you are totally missing the point of this post. This post is an attempt to get Blizzard’s attention and improve the game. Attempting to do that does not imply crying, lack of preparation, or not being able to handle a HC death. That should be obvious, but then again most of you probably haven’t read anything but the post’s title.

That's 100% correct. To say people like myself can't handle a HC Death is wrong I have a Full Graveyard most toons over lvl 50 and many more that can't make into the Graveyard cause its full Lots do to disconnect deaths others to Leet Combos more Leet than I in a mad lvl 20 gear in hell rush to 60. I could care less about losing a toon that I killed cause I did not make every right move. But when I have made every right move for 50+ lvls, or any amount for that matter and then get a Disconnect and its all gone to no fault of my own... Well I can still Handle it. I just think that it is Ridiculous way to lose that progress and should be fixed.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/15/2012 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Another one Bites the Dust.. Sorry to hear it man! This Thread is Pulling for a Fix!

Posted by HOLDMADDD:
dc/ed tonight killed my barb, looks like i was wrong ( also probably jinxed my self ).

Sorry boys, Looks like this d/c monster exists. and no body is safe.

i take back everything i ever said about sticking up for blizzard, get your sh!t together your a multi billiondollar coorp.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Posted by MiTHMoN:
Today I was playing my hardcore barbarian. I was casually 1-hitting white enemies on mp10, no troubles in the world because I had been playing safe the whole time. I noticed the game start to lag so I paused it. About 20 seconds later I get disconnected from the game, but my character is seemingly fine in my character list. Another 10 seconds or so pass and I get disconnected from my account. I log back in and my character is dead.

I understand how hardcore is a game mode where unforeseen circumstances outside of the game can and will end with your characters being killed, and there's nothing you can do about it. That being said, the game is able to be paused to make your life easier, and I'd really like to see a patch that fixes the issue of computer crashes and internet drop-outs ending characters.

In the 50+ hours it takes to get a hardcore hero to 60, at any point in that time your computer/internet/power has to fail but one time. If it does, then it's likely to be repeated the second play through.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/15/2012 11:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
I play HC despite the risk of disconnect. I have no sympathy for whiners that complain on the forums about how they lost a guy to DC. You agree to the risk when you first start a new HC guy.

With that said, I would love for blizzard to implement some form of DC protection. Its the least that they can do for forcing the game to be online only.
Reply Quote
I play HC despite the risk of disconnect. I have no sympathy for whiners that complain on the forums about how they lost a guy to DC. You agree to the risk when you first start a new HC guy.

With that said, I would love for blizzard to implement some form of DC protection. Its the least that they can do for forcing the game to be online only.

If you enjoy playing with the risk of a DC death there should probably be a new category for you called Masochist that makes sure you have a 0.01% to DC every minute. :P

DC's are not an intentional part of the game. Also - please post on your D3 account if you want any credibility.
Reply Quote
AKA Susamik

Ok Finally figured out how to Chang my Profile to D3 cause the way that Blizz told me to do it would not work. Guess that's half true there are 4 places you can perform the instruction set Blizzard gives you and only one of the locations works. They tell you to click on the "V" by your name and click Manage Characters then select your D3. But out of the 4 locations you may do it Only will the "V" next to your name at New Post or Reply will work I had tried the Other 3 Locations thinking they should all work the same but I guess that would be too Easy. But Now I can Post with my D3 Profile.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/16/2012 11:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Another one Bites the Dust.. Again - Sorry to hear it man! This Thread is Pulling for a Fix!

11/17/2012 12:42 AMPosted by Bread86
I lost my barb last week to a server dcd and just lost the lvl 60 dh i lvled up to replace him. Me and a friend were just having fun when the server kicked both of us. I was the unlucky one to return to a dead character after logging in. This type of stuff ruins the game for me. I enjoy hc for the thrill and finding upgrades for yourself, but losing it all at no fault of your own is very aggravating. I hope none of you have the same bad luck. I'm done for now.

This also puts a Hole in the Popular theory that if you play Multiplayer you are safe. This is not the only time I have heard about this from fellow HC players.
Edited by Cybrpro#1814 on 11/17/2012 12:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
Both sides of the cry more vs. do something debate have equal ground:

Blizzard has resources and capabilities to improve their games and not only should they, but they should look first to the community for input. This thread has merit for even bringing the issue to attention, and since the stakes are so high for this issue, it should be pursued with more urgency.

However, HC realistically has such a small player base that addressing this issue would not be high on blizzards priority list. (fixing the issue would be costly and difficult. The solutions provided here don't seem to be to be very pragmatic, no offense.) Blizzard probably doesn't scour these forums that much anyway, and they probably don't care about HC. The lack of an active AH hurts the long term profitability of HC as a system. For these reasons, as members of an community with so little influence, the thread doesn't have merit, as it is essentially a !@#$%ing session for ourselves, of which this forum has plenty.

tl;dr: some have hope, some are realistic.
Edited by RickyPuppy#1145 on 11/17/2012 2:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Fyle

I strongly disagree. I would rather the cheaters not be able to cheat. I would rather Crybabies like you go back to softcore so this forum can be free of your whining. Blizzard needs to forum ban you!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]