Diablo® III

Death and drop quality

66 Gnome Rogue
10/23/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Eneria

The loot gods care care not for your sacrifices.

(Or, in other words, your character deaths do not affect item drop rates or quality).

Sacrifice gnomes, its works for me.

NOT funny.

>:E
Reply Quote
Could you also clarify whether or not the whole "loot server" theory is correct? You could put a final nail in the coffin right here, right now, it's your big chance

they wouldn't tell u if it was. or, more accurately, they might tell you it's not, when it rly is. :P

it's nothing but superstition.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Lylirra
Could you also clarify whether or not the whole "loot server" theory is correct?

The who-what? I'm apparently woefully ignorant of this theory. Enlighten me!

You type the -netstat command in the windows server thingy and we have found that the Diablo 3 games you create are linked to one of the numbers you get fed. We are calling this the games server or loot server.

People have claimed that certain servers deliver better loot. Particularly lower/even numbered servers.

Is this the way you guys randomize your loot?
Reply Quote
This "loot server" theory started awhile ago based on the idea that it was similar to farming ubers in diablo 2, that certain servers would have a much higher chance of them spawning. Someone took to the idea that diablo 3 had similar servers for good loot/legendaries.

This is an excerpt from the thread posted not too long after launch...

It's an interesting (albeit difficult) read nonetheless.

At this point some people could test it very easily.

Simply as what you posted said:

Join a game
Minimize out of the game
Fire up a DOS prompt and run the 'netstat' command
Looking for one of the last connections dealing with :1119 (or the AH)

Looks like having the 4th octet being an even number yields in better drops. I think just testing x.x.x.16:1119 connection would be the best thing to do.

Very aware of DClone in D2, would not be surprised if something like this is also available in D3.

I had a metric ton of collected data, but as KageKaze pointed out our collected data was irrelevant because the 3rd set of numbers varied as well. After this insight I scrapped my data when 1.0.5 came out and would note servers that had decent loot/legendaries drop. This isn't as scientific as Kaze implied we should be testing, because we also need to also gather crap loot server data to come up with any real insights.

But my findings of 1.0.5 are thus:

Server 246.65: Torrmenter
Server 237.82: StrongarmB
Server 246.73: ForstBURNS
Server 247.19: Sankis
Server 245.36: FrostBURNS
Server 247.142: Wan Kim
Server 246.219: Storm Crow
Server 245.153: Dawn
Server 245.177: Xephiarn A
Server 247.86: Deep Thing
Server 245.39: Sever
Server 245.35: Shaf Hammr
Server 246.159: Storm Shid
Server 246.241: Occulus RG
Server 245.47: GladiatorG
^ Andys Mask
Server 246.244: Mesh Reavr
Server 246.148: GladiatorG
Server 247.77: Echoing
Server 247.8: Nats Cloak
Server 246.36: Dead Man L
Server 245.119: Aranoch
Server 247.122: FrostBURNS
Server 246.178: Dan Revegn
^ Manticore

The ^ denotes that item was found on the same run as the previous item.
Edited by Zero#12911 on 10/23/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Kezzerdrix

That one's new right? Also don't forget your tin-foil hat Lylirra.

lol fixed

I'm sry; I just couldn't resist....
Reply Quote
I have been rewarded for being stubborn several times...pack way across map kills me sometimes more than once....easier to skip but I am stubborn...not only did they drop legendaries but GOOD legendaries..I'm sure they don't have any more chance than the easy packs but that's my experience.
Reply Quote
I've seen legendarys from trash and from weapon racks/armor racks. I however have never seen one from an elite/champion/named. Kinda lame.
Reply Quote
Random distributions - how do they work? Uniques drop; uniques don't drop; you can't explain that!

Quaestor the Wanderer
Reply Quote
Loot server is probably not true, but I believe there are some hidden mechanics which affect legendary drop rate. Tell me RNG all day long, pure, simple, random luck.... yes, it's a factor. But my billion hours of playtime tell me there is more.

Legendaries come in spurts. They either rain 2,3,4,10 at a time... or none for a long period. Rarely if ever, do I get the lone legendary drop. People say the sample size isn't big enough to make a claim - I still say hogwash. Many other people experience the same bursty-legendary timings I see.

RNG in a computer is STILL based on some seed, so it's not true-random.
Reply Quote
The only thing they could be doing regarding the loot server theory is an A/B testing method to make minor changes to gather data. Loot has probably been changed on a few of them to see if it impacts AH/RMAH sales etc. But literally everyone would have to be tracking it, and you still wouldn't be able to determine all the minor variables changed in each server.

And to say that a company the size of acti-blizzard would not be doing an A/B testing method would be silly, or just bad business. So yes, there is a high likelihood that different servers have had different drop rates, but they don't stay the same, and the nature of the RNG allows threshold changes without huge noticeable impact. (i.e. a player would not be able to document it, You'd have to have access to all drops and activity per server)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
There are people who believe that some servers are tuned to drop tons of legendaries and some that are tuned to drop nothing at all. They have absolutely no proof. But a nice big blue post stating the theory is false would be nice. Although, those people who believe this would most likely just think you are lying...

Oh, yes. That theory.

While there are a number of factors which can influence what kind of loot you get (Magic Find, MP level, # of NV stacks, etc), they're all character based. Which server you play on -- or what game you join -- doesn't have any bearing on your likelihood of seeing a Legendary item drop, or a specific Legendary to drop for that matter.

Sure, you might have an easier time farming some games than others based on what monsters spawn, which means you'll probably progress a little faster and kill more things (killing more things = more chances for loot to drop), but that's about it.

10/23/2012 09:57 AMPosted by GoatForSale
Thanks for the input Lylirra, what about if your dead when they die? also what about if your in town?

In order to be eligible for loot or experience you need to either a) tag the monster in combat or b) be in proximity when the monster dies.

So, you could technically hit a monster, die, TP back to town and flirt with Leah a bit, and you'd still be eligible for loot when that monster dies (even if it dies when you're not nearby). Similarly, you could charge in headlong into combat ahead of your friends, die before they get there, and when your friends saunter up and kick the monster's bucket, you'd all be eligible for any loot the monster drops.

Edit: Typos
Edited by Lylirra on 5/20/2014 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Loot server is probably not true, but I believe there are some hidden mechanics which affect legendary drop rate. Tell me RNG all day long, pure, simple, random luck.... yes, it's a factor. But my billion hours of playtime tell me there is more.

Legendaries come in spurts. They either rain 2,3,4,10 at a time... or none for a long period. Rarely if ever, do I get the lone legendary drop. People say the sample size isn't big enough to make a claim - I still say hogwash. Many other people experience the same bursty-legendary timings I see.

RNG in a computer is STILL based on some seed, so it's not true-random.

Actually, I believe that a random distribution lends itself more to peaks and valleys.

Now, an evenly distributed pattern where you get one drop every 3 days would be highly suspicious.
Reply Quote
It might just be my tinfoil hat not reflecting enough cosmic radiation, but I've noticed when I fight a mob and die > rez > go back and kill the mob... I tend to get less rares (quantity and quality) than if I had killed the mob without dying. This seems to hold true most of the time.

/my2cents

How do you know this....do you have a time machine like Emmett Brown????

Great Scott!!!!!!
Reply Quote

So, you could technically hit a monster, die, TP back to town and flirt with Leah a bit, and you'd still be eligible for loot when that monster dies (even if it dies when you're not nearby). Similarly, you could charge in headlong into combat ahead of your friends, die before they get there, and when your friends saunter up and kick the monster's bucket, you'd all be eligible for any loot the monster drops.

The key part is, you gotta die to qualify!
Edited by Derplord#1988 on 10/23/2012 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/23/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Derplord
The key part is, you gotta die to qualify!

It makes the spoils of combat that much sweeter.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Lylirra
There are people who believe that some servers are tuned to drop tons of legendaries and some that are tuned to drop nothing at all. They have absolutely no proof. But a nice big blue post stating the theory is false would be nice. Although, those people who believe this would most likely just think you are lying...

Oh, yes. That theory. :)

While there are a number of factors which can influence what kind of loot you get (Magic Find, MP level, # of NV stacks, etc), they're all character-based. Which server you play on -- or what game you join -- doesn't really have any bearing on your likelihood of seeing a Legendary item drop.

Sure, you might have an easier time farming some games than others based on what monsters spawn, which means you'll probably progress a little faster and kill more things (killing more things = more chances for loot to drop), but that's about it.

10/23/2012 09:57 AMPosted by GoatForSale
Thanks for the input Lylirra, what about if your dead when they die? also what about if your in town?

In order to be eligible for loot or experience you need to either a) tag the monster in combat or b) be in proximity when the monster dies.

yes well there is a guy that has collected info from a dozen forums totaling over 4k games with server number checks and has enough "coinsidental " evedance to lend creedance to the thery for what ever reason servers 72-78 are clearly better for drops weather its because it affects the RNG or simply for other reasons no one knows for sure and no i dout blizzard would confirm this in fact they have made a considerable effort in deleteing most fposts that mention this without a single word. i am actualy surprised there is a blue post and this entire thred wasnt swept under the carpet as so many other simular threds have been.
Reply Quote
I just ran mp 5 act 3 paragon lvl 41 for 2 hrs with a lvl 8 wiz. He was dying every other elite pack trash mob pack and I died twice the whole time. He dropped 3 legends and a nats chest set item. The loot gods took pity it seems.
Reply Quote
Well i know its all random but I from my own experience:
1.0 - patch 1.0.3 4 legendaries
1.0.3-1.0.4 0 legendaries
day of patch 1.0.4 4 legendaries
1.0.4 - 1.0.5 2 legendaries
day of 1.0.5 6 legendaries

I never found any set item in about 600 hours of gameplay.
It is very strange, I recently fired up D2 LoD and I 1 hour I found 2 low level set items for example. I dont know why legendaeirs or set items with ilvl10 or 20 are so rare like 62-63 ilvl.

Isnt the point of low level legends and set to drop more often so we can use it while leveling?

and for the topic at hand it doesnt matter. I even attacked keywardens with 0 stacks, run off or die, got 5 stacks, finish keywardens and receive key.
Reply Quote
Edited by Raeb#1976 on 10/23/12 9:45 AM (PDT)

It might just be my tinfoil hat not reflecting enough cosmic radiation, but I've noticed when I fight a mob and die > rez > go back and kill the mob... I tend to get less rares (quantity and quality) than if I had killed the mob without dying. This seems to hold true most of the time.

I feel the same
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Lylirra

Can you tell us the radius? I have been farming with a friend and killed a pack before he caught up to me and he missed the drops. Knowing the radius would help out team play so we dont venture too far away from the group.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]