Diablo® III

HotA Build Ideas

I figure thinking of ways to utilize HotA is old hat by now, given the speed with which new ideas travel around the forums, but I have always liked this ability, and always longed for a way to work it into my build. I am intrigued by the change made to the skill, which would (with my high CC) almost guarantee a huge damage chuck every few seconds. I was thinking of using it like this:

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZYcRk!ZbY!bZZZac
Any thoughts on skill swapping that would help to synergy? I love the improvements made to crowd control, which makes Ground Stomp a viable choice again. Plus, sucking enemies into a stunned pile around me is always helpful for my teammates. I can't get myself to give this one up, but I hate giving up Furious Charge + Merciless Assault, as every barbarian needs to be able to get in and out of battle as the situation changes, and this is great multipurpose skill for that purpose. I can't give up Rend for the obvious life replenishment benefits, so what suggestions do you have?

Use: A rhythm of Bash, Bash, Bash, Hammer, Bash, Bash, Bash, Hammer. The 3 bashes would gain enough fury to maximize the CC, in addition to the 24% extra damage from Punish (love this rune in general). Any break in this rhythm, having to pop Rend for example, would start it back at Bash 1. Any thoughts of general use that might be more effective?

Gear: Obviously high CC, high CD, and high IAS. Do you feel like the full IK set would be necessary to maximize fury pool and regen (which would also guarantee a huge crit when HotA is used)? Again, I have trouble making the jump to the IK belt, as the life I get from the one I have now is huge. Thoughts on gear that would help maximize this build?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to considering you ideas.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 10/19/2012 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
My suggestion would be to swap Marauders Rage with Into the Fray, that will help keep your fury up a bit if you have good CC.
Also, why use Warcry anymore? it doesn't help enough to take up a slot IMO. How about a defensive instead... like Ignore Pain, you're basically invulnerable with it.
And maybe instead of Nerves of Steel use Animosity for more fury regen if you dont need the LS (which i do)
Lastly, I think one of the biggest flaws in my build is lack of mobility like you said. I have been struggling to decide whether or not I should get rid of WotB for a mobility.

What do you think? How do you think I should change mine?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6934954132?page=1#14

I plan on trying this guy's build out today. Been running hota for afew days now though.
Reply Quote
I disagree that War Cry has been rendered obsolete. Even though you aren't getting the huge resistances that you were before, the bonus to armor and RA is still too good to pass up (in my opinion). I know what you are saying about Ignore Pain, but I don't like it for the same reason I don't like, and have never liked, Wrath of the Berserker: reliance on cooldowns. You are gambling quite a bit that you will be able to kill any given elite pack within the effect window of Wrath and/or Ignore Pain. I would rather have the constant, consistent, reliable effects of War Cry and Battle Rage. If I were playing your character, I would give up Wrath and Pain for War Cry and Furious Charge. As I type this, I am talking myself out of using the HotA build I was thinking about hypothetically, as charge really is a huge benefit to be able to zip all over the battle field with (when used correctly) very little waiting for a CD. I typically use it as a battle starter: aim for the middle of the group, hit Stomp, hit Rend, start bashing. If I need to leave, I use Charge again, which is and has been off cool down b/c i hit several enemies with it on the way in. Plus, it is great for getting out of being surrounded and picking off enemies that are going after your caster friends. the only weakness it has is not being able to get over Walls, but you can go through the elites and out the open end. I prefer this style of mobile Barb combat, but an equally viable alternative is your choice of Ignore Pain, which allows you to swallow that damage (of arcane, molten, descecretor) rather than avoiding it. The choice is up to your style.
Reply Quote
I've been using HOTA ever since 1.0.4 came out and immediately saw how synergetic my build is with high crit chance. I used to use War Cry/Impunity (which is still really good), but have since switched to Threatening Shout/Falter since it's much more useful at higher MP levels.

My build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZaPeRg!YZd!ZbZYYZ

My gear and build incorporates 6% Life Steal so I don't Rend/Blood Lust (even though it's a really good skill). I prefer to use Seismic Slam/Strength From Earth for nearly infinit Slams against large groups of enemies, instead of getting surrounded/running into monsters to use Rend. With a high crit chance and Into the Fray, Hammer of the Ancients will only cost 5 Fury for most of your attacks (it's proc coefficient isn't 100%) which means you maintain a high crit chance on the skill. Into the Fray with Seismic Slam/Strength From Earth means your 15 Fury is given back against large groups of enemies.
Edited by Begaria#1359 on 10/19/2012 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I run almost the same build but I use into the fray (to keep up fury for sustained hammers) and furious charge dreadnought (to chase down runners and heal).
Reply Quote
PS I have tried using rend with hammer, but I simply don't find synergy between them. There's simply no point in stopping to use rend when you can throw down another hammer or two and kill what's in front of you.
Reply Quote
Check my build for a HotA variant. Rend could be replaced with warcry or rend/bloodlust. At the time, there was another barb in group with warcry, so I picked up rend.
Reply Quote
These HotA builds look really fun and I'll probably try one out when I get a chance, but I'm having a hard time understanding why people are using the smash, as opposed to the rolling thunder rune. Smash means smaller area for 406% dmg, but rolling thunder adds 275% dmg 22 yards in front of you. So unless I'm not understanding the mechanics 275+325=600% weapon damage with a larger AOE for part of it, vs 406% over an even further decreased area. Can anyone help me understand the major benefit of less total dmg focused in a smaller area?
Reply Quote
10/19/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Renard
PS I have tried using rend with hammer, but I simply don't find synergy between them. There's simply no point in stopping to use rend when you can throw down another hammer or two and kill what's in front of you.

I tend to agree with you, but, rend lets you do even more damage at the same time. It only does about 20-35% of the damage hammer does, but it is bonus damage if you have the flexibility to add it.
Reply Quote
10/19/2012 12:35 PMPosted by bonsaitree
These HotA builds look really fun and I'll probably try one out when I get a chance, but I'm having a hard time understanding why people are using the smash, as opposed to the rolling thunder rune. Smash means smaller area for 406% dmg, but rolling thunder adds 275% dmg 22 yards in front of you. So unless I'm not understanding the mechanics 275+325=600% weapon damage with a larger AOE for part of it, vs 406% over an even further decreased area. Can anyone help me understand the major benefit of less total dmg focused in a smaller area?

Thunder is better AOE, smash is better single target. In my experience, the AOE on smash really isn't so bad and the harder situations call for high single target DPS against an elite.
Reply Quote
@ bonsaitree
Smash has the highest proc coefficient.
Reply Quote
Wouldn't the additional splash damage of RT add more chances for procs though?

I use RT in order to liquidate the regular hordes faster :)
Reply Quote
Wouldn't the additional splash damage of RT add more chances for procs though?

I use RT in order to liquidate the regular hordes faster :)

Not vs single target I think. But I guess, it is worth a try.
Reply Quote
Edit: Actually I haven't tested this. I'll check it out when I get home.

Rolling Thunder, according to the google docs for Barbarian proc coefficients, has a 0% proc coefficient. So it'd be terrible for On Hit effects and Into the Fray. Smash has a 80% proc coefficient. I'm also under the impression that the 325% weapon damage of HOTA gets changed to 275% while adding the shockwave, but I could be wrong as I haven't tested this. I'd still prefer HOTA/Smash and Seismic Slam/Strength from Earth.
Edited by Begaria#1359 on 10/19/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I roll most of MP5 with my build. Battle rage:blood is seriously overlooked too much it works so well with cleave/HoTA
Reply Quote
I used this build for quite a while and had a great time with it:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZaYURc!eZW!ZbZZYZ
Reply Quote
Edit: Actually I haven't tested this. I'll check it out when I get home.

Rolling Thunder, according to the google docs for Barbarian proc coefficients, has a 0% proc coefficient. So it'd be terrible for On Hit effects and Into the Fray. Smash has a 80% proc coefficient. I'm also under the impression that the 325% weapon damage of HOTA gets changed to 275% while adding the shockwave, but I could be wrong as I haven't tested this. I'd still prefer HOTA/Smash and Seismic Slam/Strength from Earth.

My experience is that rolling thunder does proc for into the fray consistently. Obviously it's much better when hitting mobs than single targets.

My completely unscientific conclusion is to state the obvious: use RT if you want more damage against groups and Smash if you want more damage against the tougher targets.
Reply Quote
What do people think of the HotA Thunderstrike rune? Pro: ridiculous stun Con: not effective against elites?
Reply Quote
I like my skill setup but, even though my crit chance is 60%, my DPS sucks.
Maybe you guys could give it a try:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZUdQRP!YfW!YbZbYc

HotA: Thunderstrike - I chose it over Smash over two simple reasons: 1) Smash's area of effect is smaller; 2) Chain stun is insanely good when elites come with normal monsters or against illusionists/horde.

Sprint: Marathon - Only there for quicker mobility/fury dumping. Could be replaced by anything. Leap and Furious Charge are good runes for escaping from tough situations.

Ancient Spear: Skirmish - Having its cooldown reset with each critical hit makes it a perfect fury generator for a critical intensive build. With Animosity you'll be getting 36 fury from hitting pretty much anything (from mobs to breakable world objects). Its drag/root ability isn't bad for ranged monsters either. Oh yea. It's also a good synergy for the mobility skill: escape from danger (desecrator/plagued/molten) and drag an enemy to restart the fight.

Overpower: Crushing Advance - The best synergy for critical builds, choose the rune that fits you best. With the right positioning and three+ enemies you can keep CA or KS forever.

Battle Rage: Into the Fray - Must-have. Don't think Bloodshed ever becomes a viable option without dropping WotB: ToC permanency.

WotB: ToC - Not as easy mantaining permanent as the old tornado. Idea is the same though, dump fury while around many enemies, watch it when solo. My guess is that 2 attacks per second while on Wrath is enough for keeping it permanent on 1-1.

Passives:
Weapons Master: +10% critical chance? Must-have.
Animosity: virtually increases your HotA cc by 4% while granting a boost for ItF - 15 fury per crit is good, 18 is better.
Ruthless: more crits, more damage, more fury. If you don't need any defense, go for it.
Superstition: elemental and ranged damage mitigation becomes attractive now that Impunity was nerfed. Extra fury from standing on ground effects is always welcome too.

No Escape: worthless without ancient spear/weapon throw duh.
Berserker Rage: might become good in an insanity build with fury reduction equipment.
Brawler: this one is actually better than Berserker Rage. No good for bosses but having an extra 30% damage sounds great...maybe even better than Ruthless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]