Diablo® III

EHP Details (Effective Health Pool)

Would be nice to have a URL shortner on it ;)
Reply Quote
www.d3rawr.com
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 05:47 AMPosted by BZs
Would be nice to have a URL shortner on it ;)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6893609842?page=4#62 if you have comments / questions about my tool.

10/25/2012 06:04 AMPosted by einsteinz
www.d3rawr.com

This discussion is about EHP, the tools you choose to use or not use shouldn't be posted here as I've said multiple times already.

10/25/2012 06:06 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
Hardcore players use this stat a lot to gauge if they can survive the next inferno act. They will farm and gear up in the current act until they hit the EHP mark and then move into the next inferno act.

Yes, a lot of people have been doing the same for MP levels to address when they have the EHP to move on to the next level without dieing to much. It really is a great measure of survivability that not enough people know about / understand.
Reply Quote
Thanks. Bookmarked for future reference. Also Bump! ^^
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 06:46 AMPosted by jling28
Thanks. Bookmarked for future reference. Also Bump! ^^

Thanks! Glad you like it!
Reply Quote

The Formula

Armor/Strength Reduction:
(TotalArmor / (50*(Creature Level))) + TotalArmor
This calculated the reduction of dmg from Armor. Creature level for MP1+ is 63. It should match up to the number on your profile.

Resist/10 Int Reduction:
(TotalResist / (5*(Creature Level))) + TotalResist
This calculated the reduction of dmg from Resists. Creature level for MP1+ is 63. It should match up to the number on your profile.

Looking at your formula for the damage reduction for both Armor and AR left me a bit confused so I googled around and are you sure it's not:

Armor reduction = armor / (armor + enemy level x 50)
Resistance reduction = resists / (resists + enemy level x 5)

Where enemy level = 63 at MP1+

So at MP1+ we have:
Armor reduction = armor / (armor + 3150)
Resistance reduction = resists / (resists + 315)

The formula you give is like:
Armor reduction = (armor / 3150) + armor
Resistance reduction = (resists / 315) + resists

Which seems kind of wrong.
Reply Quote
To keep a good armor to resist balance you want to keep armor as close to 10 times your resists as possible.

my armor is 4229
my Resist All is 574

are you saying, everything else being equal, that I would be better off if I raised my armor to 4985 and lowered my resists to 498 ?

(yes, ideally I should raise my armor by 1511 to 5740 and keep my resists unchanged, but that sounds impossible on my budget)
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Sorry I missed this thread over the weekend.

@jling28, yes I just had the parens around the wrong item. You are correct though.

@BlueBooger

What that is saying is that untill the two are 10 to 1, one is worth more than the other. For example, at your current stage, 10 armor is worth more than 1 res all. Is it worth removing res all to get to that point? No, but trying to pick up armor in place of res all when the ratio is greater than the 10 to 1 will get you more benefit.

Example the choice is between a 80 res all, and a 60 res all +200 armor. With that current gear, the later would be worth a good deal more EHP 200 armor > 20 res all.
Reply Quote
Very informative Kieble...

You noted that it is better to upp a stat that you are low in, then it is to further buff something you have alot of.

That lead me to think, since dex is part of the DR formula, and I don't have a lot of it... does that mean it is better for me to upp dex over vitality?

According to your calculator, it looks like this is true....

EHP Breakdown for my wiz
+1 Dexterity 294.2
+1 Vitality 273.94

So it is better for me to get armor with 100dex then it is for 100vit??? For a wiz, this seems odd...
Reply Quote
The problem with dodge is that it's not a straight across the board dmg reduction. It's either 100% or 0%. That's why wizards don't usually stack it, is that A) items don't come with it regularly and b) it's not reliable.

I would say never stack dex. It may provide a higher EHP value, but that EHP value isn't a reliable value.

Edit: For wizards, the balancing act should be with Armor and Resist All. Vitality should only be stacked to get you to the 30-50k HP mark (this number is argued, but in general having HP in that area provides the best results other than niche set-ups).
Edited by Kieble#1634 on 12/1/2012 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
The problem with dodge is that it's not a straight across the board dmg reduction. It's either 100% or 0%. That's why wizards don't usually stack it, is that A) items don't come with it regularly and b) it's not reliable.

I would say never stack dex. It may provide a higher EHP value, but that EHP value isn't a reliable value.

Edit: For wizards, the balancing act should be with Armor and Resist All. Vitality should only be stacked to get you to the 30-50k HP mark (this number is argued, but in general having HP in that area provides the best results other than niche set-ups).

Dodge works exactly the same way as block (only better) so I don't get what you mean by it not being reliable, only problem with dodge is that it suffers from massive diminishing returns once you hit 500 dex (~20% dodge), it isnt linear like res/armor so you can never have 80% dodge no matter what.

Obviously everyone needs dmg mitigation and life, dodge is just like block, it works as a supplement to your ehp, you cant hope to block/dodge all attacks but in the long run 20% dodge is 20% dodge, you will avoid 1/5 attacks with it.
Reply Quote
First of all you are telling him to stack dex? Second of all you are talkin about block on a wizard forum. Sorry man.

I guess my point was do not stack dex, every other stat is more reliable and works vs reflect so while dex is pure ehp don't stack it
Edited by Kieble#1634 on 12/1/2012 10:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
First of all you are telling him to stack dex? Second of all you are talkin about block on a wizard forum. Sorry man.

I guess my point was do not stack dex, every other stat is more reliable and works vs reflect so while dex is pure ehp don't stack it

I'm saying that there is nothing "unreliable" about dex, imo everyone should have at least 500 dex for 20% dodge because diminishing returns only sets in after you hit 20%. This is the reason why people dont stack massive dex unless he is playing a monk/dh, its got nothing to do with reliability.
Reply Quote
Actually it starts diminishing after 10%. Gearing specifically towards Dex is not a good idea as 1.) It isn't an actual reliable mitigation. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. (IE 20% of the time as you said).

2.) The biggest killer for wizards is damage reflection. Dodge does absolutely nothing to damage reflection. Stacking a mitigation stat that does 0 against the biggest damage problem is not a good idea.

It will always be better to gear towards Vit / Armor / Res All than it will be to stack dexterity.
Reply Quote
Actually it starts diminishing after 10%. Gearing specifically towards Dex is not a good idea as 1.) It isn't an actual reliable mitigation. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. (IE 20% of the time as you said).

2.) The biggest killer for wizards is damage reflection. Dodge does absolutely nothing to damage reflection. Stacking a mitigation stat that does 0 against the biggest damage problem is not a good idea.

It will always be better to gear towards Vit / Armor / Res All than it will be to stack dexterity.

Its barely noticeable at 10%, it actually only really starts to drop off real hard at 20+%. ~350dex doubles your chance to dodge when you only have 10% of it, but you need 1.5k dex to do the same when you are at 20% dodge.

I already addressed the issue of "reliability" earlier. Dodge is the same thing as block, why do you think people used shields in 1.02 if rng = useless? Like I said earlier I'm not advocating that people stack dex and ignore res/armor/vit, dodge works as a supplement to your defense, and it works well as advertised.

Yes dodge doesnt work vs RD and that sucks, but dodge works vs frozen/molten bombs. I cannot count the number of times dodge has saved me from certain death (vortexed into these bombs), no amount of mitigation is going to prevent you from being frozen, only dodge can do that.
Reply Quote
Yes. 1.02, not 1.05. Wizards don't gear for block, and they don't gear for dodge. Gearing for a sub-optimal stat is not a good idea. It's fine if items have it, but never gear for dex.
Reply Quote
View profile
dodge is so underated. I didnt gear for it at all it came by accident. buy it's wonderful to see dodged all the time.especially when closing on spear throwers and like 5 might kill you but 3-4 dont
Reply Quote
It may be great to dodge stuff, but gearing for it is not a good idea. As I said it's fine if items have it, but stacking dexterity isn't a good idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]