Diablo® III

Some serious story-line flaws...

D3 lives in the same world as D2, right?

Kurast, Tristram, Flayer Jungle...Caldeum. These towns are all in the same world, right?

I know it's just a video game, but theoretically my DH could saddle up his horse and ride on over to the Flayer Jungle to hunt for Runes and Charms if he wanted, right?

So, "game developers", why, in creating this game, would you not think about things like "story", "uniformity", "trademark", etc. It does not make sense that you would leave out things in this game, albeit a game, when in this "fantasy world of Diablo", there are such things as Runes and Charms and (Rewards...being able to complete a quest for someone and having them "socket" an item or "Name" an item after you, or make a non-magical item magical...?

Being able to create Runewords was the coolest thing about D2. I spent hundreds of hours searching for Runes, combining Runes, etc, just to try and get that amazing Runeword to fit into that godly 6-socketed sword. And that brings up another point...One socket? Really? Again, I revert back to my earlier argument....we live in the Diablo world, right? So my DH travels over to the Flayer Jungle and searches for a three, four, or even six socket item, but he can't bring it back to Caldeum to use???

My last discrepancy is a "Two-parter" and it has to do with Act IV. Heaven. OK, game developers, lets think about this for a minute. Let's pretend, and that's all we've been doing, that we are physically in Heaven. Diablo invades with all his minions, and we run over to the Chest or the Armor stand to get a weapon and what do we find!!!??? A non-magical or even Inferior weapon. Seriously? Heaven...has inferior weapons?

Secondly, concerning Act IV, Heaven...there should be nothing but Elites and Blues to fight the entire way through. Keep the Bosses where they are. Remove ALL inferior monsters, and only have Elites or Blues. You want to talk about "End Game"....this is it.
Reply Quote
game mechanics and play experience are not the same thing as story or story-line consistency. Was there ever a moment of sockets, runes or charms mattering to the story progression from Act 1 to Act 5?

Much of what people have come to clamor about in the Diablo 2 experience came as a contrast to Diablo 1 and only then after a whole lot of patching, and expansion and more patches. 1.10 was a major overall, particularly in the runewords you so cherish, charms, crafting etc and the ladder gameplay experience continued to evolve even past single player.

Diablo 3 will probably eventually get to that point again, but not until more patches, progression and expansions (and hopefully balance) Charms are an ugly horse to factor in considering how skills works, defenses work, resource generation works, the overhaul on inventory and item sizes and a mess of other things.
Reply Quote
game mechanics and play experience are not the same thing as story or story-line consistency. Was there ever a moment of sockets, runes or charms mattering to the story progression from Act 1 to Act 5?

Much of what people have come to clamor about in the Diablo 2 experience came as a contrast to Diablo 1 and only then after a whole lot of patching, and expansion and more patches. 1.10 was a major overall, particularly in the runewords you so cherish, charms, crafting etc and the ladder gameplay experience continued to evolve even past single player.

Diablo 3 will probably eventually get to that point again, but not until more patches, progression and expansions (and hopefully balance) Charms are an ugly horse to factor in considering how skills works, defenses work, resource generation works, the overhaul on inventory and item sizes and a mess of other things.

/signed

Gameplay mechanics don't always have to match up with the lore. It's just being too nitpicky
Reply Quote
The Flayer Jungle still exists in Sanctuary, but traveling there isn't part of your mission. If the game included the entire planet, then it would take up 100 times more memory on your computer and would have cost about $1,000 to purchase. The areas that are relevant to your mission are accessible. That's the way it is in almost all RPGs.

Runes (actual rocks with symbols carved into them) are not a part of this game. Every game in a series can't have the exact same features. Storywise, maybe we could say that the creation and use of runes aren't as common as they were 20 years ago.
Reply Quote
View profile
not flaws at all, earliar posts outlined why.
Reply Quote
10/20/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Starblazer
If the game included the entire planet, then it would take up 100 times more memory on your computer and would have cost about $1,000 to purchase.

Oh, what, like World of Warcraft takes 100 times more memory and costs $1,000?
Reply Quote
I never followed the Warcraft games, so I have no frame of reference.
Reply Quote
You can say that the power of charms and runes and inherent powers of the d2 legendaries and rares depended on the worldstone. With the worldstone destroyed by Tyrael, so too did he destroy the ability to create these and other items not found in D3.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 08:35 PMPosted by flashfroze
You can say that the power of charms and runes and inherent powers of the d2 legendaries and rares depended on the worldstone. With the worldstone destroyed by Tyrael, so too did he destroy the ability to create these and other items not found in D3.

Or wait for the expansion, maybe they'll bring runes back. Who knows?
Reply Quote
This may be a small thing to most but it bothers me that our heros rush into the burning and demon besieged town of Wortham to retrieve a piece of the broken sword and then just go on their merry way without leaving the town with guards for protection or any assistance to help with the burning buildings. There should have been a quick quest to fetch some guards and help the townsfolk put out the fires.

For that matter our hero should have been the rightful heir to the throne and thus was fighting to save his country and gain his place as the King of this world. Now that would have been an ending to see. Just my two cents worth.
Reply Quote
Oh, what, like World of Warcraft takes 100 times more memory and costs $1,000?

Once you consider having to purchase each cd key and monthly costs, a player having played WoW for 4~5 giver or take the amount of expansions purchased, then yes, $1000 is a viable figure. Its what, $15 a month sub fee? 12 months in a year is 180 a year.
Reply Quote
Diablo invades with all his minions, and we run over to the Chest or the Armor stand to get a weapon and what do we find!!!??? A non-magical or even Inferior weapon. Seriously? Heaven...has inferior weapons? Secondly, concerning Act IV, Heaven...there should be nothing but Elites and Blues to fight the entire way through. Keep the Bosses where they are. Remove ALL inferior monsters, and only have Elites or Blues. You want to talk about "End Game"....this is it.

Dude...Story is important, but not to the extent where is sevearly rips the gameplay apart. All elites would just be stupid. I suppose they could have made weapon racks in Act 4 really rare, and in which case drop good yellows, but something this small is not all that important.

Kurast, Tristram, Flayer Jungle...Caldeum. These towns are all in the same world, right?

I agree, it would have been even nice if they somehow mentioned the old towns, just to allow the player to reminiss about the old games and remind them that the world of Diablo is bigger than what the game has to offer. When a gaming company could acheive this (well), it looks good.

Conclusion, the story was fairly poor. They could have put more effort into telling the story, connecting it more to the previous titles and making it more realistic.
Edited by Radicool#1786 on 12/8/2012 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]