Diablo® III

Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

My softcore characters have found all of their own items from day one. I have bought a few tomes of secrets but otherwise, nothing.

My hardcore characters buy items but I won't pay more than 100-150K tops for any single item and prefer to pay 5 digits or less. This lets me play the content without any real trouble but also makes it possible for me to find upgrades.
Reply Quote
I've mostly done it, but I've had some people give me stuff. I never can find cheap upgrades. Things seem WAY over priced and even if I could afford it, wouldn't pay it. I haven't tried MP yet. Inferno act 1 normal difficulty is just right for me. Surprised you can do mp5. Inferno right? Maybe I'll give it a shot. Our stats (looking at your Barb) are around the same.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.
Reply Quote
I have bought the headgear on my monk on the AH, early on in Hell, but no other purchases since then. I am currently able to get through Act 2 ok, not efficiently but only on MP0.

I need to farm a fair bit to increase my resistance or LoH aspect as I am dying too quickly right now. I also feel as if I am low on DPS.

I have looked through the AH a few times, but i wont even bid on something if it is 5 figures or higher.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Grimiku
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.

takes a long time to find your own gear worth using after a2. I know ztking who IMO is the MF king was playing the game w/out AH for a good while, beat inferno w/ his WD and then started using the AH to farm a3 efficiently.
Reply Quote

( im gonna guess here )

we dont get to see any blues profiles cuz none of you want to be bothered in game?

but..boy it would nice to see what you guys are wearing..
and how far in the content you are vs. the community as a whole.

yes i see you said you have a guy in act 1 with no AH..
but what about the other guys on your account?
Reply Quote
^imba all legendary with max stats of course
Reply Quote

there should be a new type of mode, that has no trade among players or AH! It would be very interesting!
Reply Quote
I believe kripps barb has no AH items and is doing it on hardcore
Reply Quote
I am doing this with my hardcore characters (with one exception) since I didn't do it with my regular characters, only using the AH to sell stuff I don't need. I'm also melting and crafting items at the blacksmith to make better gear out of the trash I find and melt down.

The 'one exception' I mentioned is I do buy gems off the AH because it's really expensive to upgrade low level gems to higher level ones, and I'm trying to use my money at the blacksmith to upgrade my gear.
Edited by NoCapes#1759 on 10/24/2012 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I still think it would be interesting to be able to see a Blue's profile

But then again....you guys might not like to get bothered in-game, and all the people that would look for you and annoy you.

~Regards
A Rampant AI~
Reply Quote
It is much fun to gear without AH but i don't know if anybody does it. Most of the gamers that are still playing D3 do it because they fail in playing other games or because they want to get 1.000.000.000.000.000 gold. AH system was a major step back to the game gameplay because everything was made the easiest way ever.
If you play for the gameplay you shouldn't use the AH that much because it is not fun.

I used to agree, but not anymore. It was fun and pride for a while, but it's not fun for casual player like me who can only play 1-2 hours per day. There is another reason, that is the gold you saved up will be useless if you are not going to use it. I have saved up about 12M since the release day. I rarely buy things off AH, but what's the point of saving up if I don't spend it? RNG makes getting upgrade for your class very difficult. AH is good for getting upgrade. I don't want to play MP1 for another 3 months, i want to play MP5 or infernal machine. Without AH, it'll take too long. Anyway, I think AH is awesome, it makes selling and buying much easier than Diablo2.
Edited by ZYM#1827 on 10/24/2012 5:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
everybody lies
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
Not once used AH of any form.

It is not required.
Reply Quote
66 Gnome Rogue
10/24/2012 05:33 PMPosted by pichapiegal
everybody lies

Even you?
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Strayer
I've mostly done it, but I've had some people give me stuff. I never can find cheap upgrades. Things seem WAY over priced and even if I could afford it, wouldn't pay it. I haven't tried MP yet. Inferno act 1 normal difficulty is just right for me. Surprised you can do mp5. Inferno right? Maybe I'll give it a shot. Our stats (looking at your Barb) are around the same.

dude add me ive got a bunch of stuff to give u..
Reply Quote
i actually prefer to lvl new characters using millions of gold i farmed on my main and buying real gear on AH
its LOVELY
i like to have 30,000 life and 30,000 dps at lvl 45 :)
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Kranus
everybody lies

Even you?

keyword: everybody

+1 for trolling
Reply Quote
Went self found for a while... Till I made some mills.. said scroo it and used the gah.
Reply Quote
So to be clear, I have been selling some of the things I don't use on the ah. I would go without that if I could, but upgrading gems is insanely expensive and I don't buy gems on the AH. I try to do everything in this game (especially since 1.0.5) as a personal endeavor, and buying other peoples' upgraded gems goes against that goal.

Personally, I would love to see gem crafting costs reduced significantly. As is, there is pretty much no way I will ever see a top level gem by self crafting. And as much as i know blizzard likes to encourage use of the auction houses, when I'm gearing 5 different characters, I'm only selling my hand-me-downs. pretty much any "zomg uber!" gear i find goes to a toon, not to the auction house for selling, so I don't really have a means to make that 15 million gold gem.

if gem costs were reduced to an achievable price, i would probably for-go the auction house all together and continually save up the money i make from vending to upgrade my gems bit by bit. But in the current state of the game, that's just not feasible at all.
Edited by AangTheNomad#1702 on 10/24/2012 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]