Diablo® III

Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

The only things on my WD that I didn't find are the Zuni head and ring, which I got through the gold AH because I was tired of waiting for full set bonuses. Until then, I was running on all farmed gear. Oh, and gems. I just hate having to wait through the crafting process for those.
Reply Quote
I've almost got my 2nd barb to the end on zero AH use at all. All current character self found drops. No trades. Some crafting with the blacksmith, and buying gear from the vendors in game only. All self contained.

I got to the end of Act 2 Inferno pre-patch. But with the 1.05 patch, It is a lot more viable.

It's a fun way to do it, for me. Others might find it too slow.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:52 PMPosted by Morgoth
monk
Reply Quote
i found everything except ik boots
Reply Quote
I've only used the AH to buy some old tomes of jewelcrafting, other than that self geared
Reply Quote
I've been doing it since release. The fun in it for me is finding the stuff, not buying it. Though sometimes I'll buy some cheap upgrade, usually nothing over like 500k.

In other words, the answer to "are you also gearing without using the AH?" is... nope!

Yeah I tend to avoid the ah if I can. But mostly I farm my own items or trade with friends.

Seems like... nope!

a little bit, the amu i use is selffound

Ie., nope!

its cool to know so many other people are doing this. ive only broken my rules twice i think.

right after 1.0.5, when i started playing my DH again and i couldnt stand not having movement speed increase, so i bought a set of 12% boots for about 15k.

and about a week ago, i wanted to make my barb into a tank build, instead of a dual wield throw build. i had every other piece but no str based shields, so i picked up a real cheap one with sub par stats.

Not even the OP is doing it!

Have bought 1 or 2 things in 102 but that was it. I have hand-geared both my barb and DH since then.

Another nope!

My softcore characters have found all of their own items from day one. I have bought a few tomes of secrets but otherwise, nothing.

And another nope.

I have bought the headgear on my monk on the AH, early on in Hell, but no other purchases since then.

I have looked through the AH a few times, but i wont even bid on something if it is 5 figures or higher.

Sounds like nope!

I am doing this with my hardcore characters (with one exception) since I didn't do it with my regular characters, only using the AH to sell stuff I don't need. I'm also melting and crafting items at the blacksmith to make better gear out of the trash I find and melt down.

The 'one exception' I mentioned is I do buy gems off the AH because it's really expensive to upgrade low level gems to higher level ones

IOW, nope!

So many posters answering "yes" to this thread who actually do use the AH... it's the devil I tell you!
Edited by Dogf#1248 on 10/24/2012 7:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Ive done that for the most part, i did buy a 700 dps weapon to help me get into inferno and through act 1 inferno on my wd long ago and I still sell stuff now and then on the AH. Ive gotten a couple lucky drops lately for my wizard which was nice, not the greatest but nice.
Reply Quote
in reality, do you have to pick up and ID every rare item u see? I find it inefficient. And upgrades in AH are cheap... for about less than 100k you can get a few upgrades on the barbarian.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Dogf
So many posters answering "yes" to this thread who actually do use the AH... it's the devil I tell you!

dont be such a hater :)

i applaud anyone's attempts at avoiding the AH, even if its not absolute.

bottom line, this is a game. people play it for enjoyment, and theyre entitled to do whatever they want to have fun. None of these people are claiming to be going 100% AH free.

personally, ive only bought a few items to suit specific slots that would be pretty difficult to find on demand when i wanted to try out a new spec. and i wont be doing that at all, anymore either.
Edited by AangTheNomad#1702 on 10/24/2012 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
10/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Grimiku
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.

Let's be honest here for a second, you take a look at my gear, which is pretty AHed at this point, and it's pretty bad.

And I was 'farming' in act 1 about a week after release. And that was back before the multiple waves of inferno nerfs.

Act 1 is basically easymode, it's the inferno you can do before you actually need real gear of any kind.
Reply Quote
mp10 from the start, it takes a little longer but its do able, i started a wd and have been only playing mp10 since its creation
Reply Quote
From a barbarian only perspective: (other classes might be similar or different, I dunno honestly)

The difficult & monotonous part about doing it, is that there are only a few very specific properties that items MUST have to make them useful. Although there is some skill diversity available in the leveling through to around the end of Act 2 hell, that begins to wither away.

For instance, In my first campaign, I focused on trying for a LONG time to make a throw barb work into late hell/early inferno because it was fun for me. Began to realize that I was never going to make it through act 1, so I built defensively, and stayed that way through to the end. Had to to survive it!

Using a throw barb might be possible in inferno with an AH geared barb, but you'd need a year to find the right stuff to pull it off through dropped loot!

The good part (is it a good part?) about having to look for specifics is that crafting is necessary, so salvaging is also necessary. Bring home all the blues!
Reply Quote
I beat Inferno with my monk a week before 1.0.5 hit. No AH purchases. It's a much easier task these days, given the crazy drop rate for legendaries and MP0, but I applaud the effort!
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Grimiku
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.

With all due respect that's newbie talk :)
Why use cars when you can walk for miles O_o
You probably don't like the end-game yourself if you are doing it like that :)
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
I beat Inferno with my monk a week before 1.0.5 hit. No AH purchases. It's a much easier task these days, given the crazy drop rate for legendaries and MP0, but I applaud the effort!
I agree. The first time, pre 1.05 was much more difficult and time consuming for me. That's why I encourage players to do it now. It's really a lot more enjoyable this time.
Reply Quote
I very rarely purchase anything from AH, mostly just crafting essences. I really like the thrill of the find. Never used the WoW AH either.
Reply Quote
For all of those that are saying that you never use AH.....how many mules do you have? I can't imagine if i had never sold any of my good items on AH at this point. I looked at my transactions log in AH and i have made 2478 transactions (lots of cancelled or not sold), but still. I mean, at least 500-600 items sold?

I don't know if some of you are totally full of crap, or if you are total hoarders, but what do you do with good stuff that you don't need. Just vendor it? Hoard it? What do you do?
Reply Quote
Gearing 10 characters w/out AH since day 1.

Farmed with DH before 1.04, then built ww barb to roll a3.
1.05 has indeed brought a lot of upgrades.
Reply Quote
I don't know if some of you are totally full of crap, or if you are total hoarders, but what do you do with good stuff that you don't need. Just vendor it? Hoard it? What do you do?

Fill the stash then vendor the overflows. You have to be willing to kill your darlings =[

I've got a stash full of the best gear I've found for other classes, should I ever decide to roll them. _Second_ best gear gets vendored also.
Reply Quote

With my first go around, I sold some things cheap on the AH that I thought might be useful to someone else, until I figured out it was probably bots sniping them. After that, I vendored/salvaged most things. Horded a couple cool legendaries that I couldn't use.

This time around, I have vendored/salvaged everything my character or followers cant use, and have kept a half dozen or so Legendaries I've found. Also keep some extra MF gear. Lots of very good off class gear has gone through the salvage yard. lol

To make the current campaign even more interesting for myself, I have chosen to go through using only 1 inventory page. Makes for quite a challenge trying to keep excess stuff! :)
Edited by Otis#1467 on 10/24/2012 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]