Diablo® III

Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

Hmm...I've never looked at the auction house actually. I've been doing hardcore and leveling each class using drops I found from the other characters. Naturally, I haven't beaten inferno hardcore yet, but somedayyy (Act 2 presently)
Reply Quote
I deleted all my chars and have only non-AH chars now.

I about pooped myself yesterday when these IK gloves dropped. Dropped from a normal mob that I had whirlwinded past but returned to because I saw the blip on the map out of the corner of my eye.

Scary to think that mymost useful legendary drop was nearly passed by because I was too busy farting tornadoes.

But going non-AH has really rekindled my interest in D3. The fun of the "item hunt" is back.
Edited by theDarkness#1939 on 10/25/2012 8:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Warrior
I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I wonder if it would be possible for Blizzard to setup a "third" play mode called vintage, or something to that effect. As with Hardcore and Normal, you'd start from the beginning, have an empty stash, and not be able to share items except with other vintage characters. In this mode the AH (both gold and RM) would be disabled, so it wouldn't affect anyone's progress, the economy, etc. However, the drop rate would be adjusted so that it was not affected by the existence of the auction house. I know I shouldn't bring up D2, but I think the drop rates in that game were pretty spot on. I, for one, would exclusively play such a "vintage" mode, and I would think it would be pretty easy to implement so as not to affect normal gameplay and the economy.

Thoughts?
Edited by Mirotrollio#1555 on 10/25/2012 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Other than gems, I found every piece of gear on every one of my characters.
Reply Quote
I, for one, would exclusively play such a "vintage" mode,

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the fact that a lot of . . . most(?) . . . people would play vintage is the main reason Blizzard won't do it.
Reply Quote
I actually did before act 1.04. But Act 2 inferno was nearly impossible because of the constant 1hits and those stupid flies. So then I resorted to AH gear.
Reply Quote
I've done this with a Wizard and Monk.

I opted to use the AH after clearing inferno on base difficulty.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Oray
there should be a new type of mode, that has no trade among players or AH! It would be very interesting!

I would use this mode if:

• Drop quality was increased in order to facilitate reasonable progress
  • Drops that the char could equip would fall faster
  • Clean-room: No gear swapping with AH chars
  • AH access completely disabled

You could call this "Offline Mode".
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 08:54 AMPosted by theDarkness
But going non-AH has really rekindled my interest in D3. The fun of the "item hunt" is back.

Starting from scratch and levelling with just drops/vendor is one of the most rewarding parts of this game. Eventually you hit a wall and you kinda resent it because it feels like Blizz is subliminally chanting "you must go to the AH nooow".
Reply Quote
I beat Inferno with a monk with nothing but gear I found, playing only with other people who found their own gear. Working on a Demon Hunter now. It was frustrating for a while, but I still enjoyed it.
Reply Quote
I havent bought anything form the ah in quite a while. Used to have 100% ah items but now i think the only one left is my depth diggers. While ive found some pretty nice items on my own, gearing this way has created some serious problems for me since most of my gear is not very balanced. I find things with very high stats in a couple areas but they always lack one thing or another. I think i havent bought from the au in a while because most upgrades i can afford are usually a downgrade in some way. Take the shoulders i found ... really high strength, nice res some regen but no vit. Having so many affixes that you need on each piece of gear makes it really hard to self gear in a balanced way. As a result i have a barb that does some pretty decent damage but has terrible survivability.

edit i guess the damage is mostly from the skorn so without that i'd have a bad barb all around lol
Edited by Dirk#1799 on 10/25/2012 7:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I found it interesting when I read Grimiku's post here that it was like I was reading a post of my own. My barb is practically the same (have actually along the way bought a total of 3 things on AH most expensive 10K none in use now) and have also just started a wizard. Plan on endless farming of act I a few hours at a time for now til I can progress a little easier in act II. Made it through the first part of act II but barely and can now do act I easily on MP 0 and with some difficulty on MP 1. Hope to contiunue the trend of not using the action house for my finds.
Agree that it would be nice to be able to see a blue's profile but also agree that it would suck for the in game to be trolled. And even if they could mask their profile by having a different name show in game or something like that I'm pretty sure it wouldn't really be worth listening to all the trolls comment about their profiles in the forums.
Reply Quote
I used the Auction House a few times in the beginning. My first run through Hardcore I died at the Butcher, so I started over again and then upgraded 1-3 pieces for each Act's end boss. Once I got to Nightmare I realized that doing so took away from the fun of the game so I stopped. I've bought one piece since then, but only because it was stupidly cheap.
Reply Quote
Never wore anything I haven't found myself.

Was farming act 3 back in the day, 1.0.2 in self found gear.
The game is so much better that way, but I have a lot of time to allow it.

The thing is, there is a huge area between not using the AH and fully depending on it. That area can cater to any hours spent playing, but sadly it isn't really utilized. People either don't use it or they fully use it.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Anuhart
The thing is, there is a huge area between not using the AH and fully depending on it. That area can cater to any hours spent playing, but sadly it isn't really utilized. People either don't use it or they fully use it.

I think there are alot of people that are in the middle somewhere. I'm one.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 07:45 PMPosted by Dirk

I think there are alot of people that are in the middle somewhere. I'm one.

Good for you, I was praising a friend just yesterday for doing the same.
But as for 'a lot', relatively speaking, I don't think there are.
Reply Quote
You can't itemize one single character, but if you farm long enough you will get "holy sh*t" drops spread evenly across the classes.

And I think its very possible to use the AH only rarely and do well. That's how I play, at least.
Reply Quote
You can't itemize one single character, but if you farm long enough you will get "holy sh*t" drops spread evenly across the classes.

And I think its very possible to use the AH only rarely and do well. That's how I play, at least.

You absolutely can itemize a single character from drops alone. I'm doing that right now.
Currently at the point where I'm farming act 3 reasonably comfortably, but carefully & slowly. Even going into Act 1 at MP-1 occasionally to change things up. Still looking for a few pieces to feel ready to tackle Act 4. Probably take a week or 2 of casual gameplay.

Damned fun.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 06:01 AMPosted by overg
I'm another monk who has played self found since the game came out. I also beat Inferno the week before 1.05 hit (Vrkhyz both inspired and encouraged me to finish up when I stalled for a bit after the hell rifts).

Well, that's why I'm here.

Did anyone beat Inferno without the Auction House before 1.0.3 went live? If so, I've never heard of it. Jump in!
Reply Quote
People won't stop once they start buying from AH, 'cause it's easy and quick, while farming is hard and unrewarding. The only factor that stops them is limited budget.

One would be hunting great deals with bloody eyes, worrying about buying low and selling high. Too busy making money to roll a second character. Always frustrated with his own loot.

I rolled 10 characters very early and insisted not using AH because I felt it might kill the game for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]