Diablo® III

Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

10/25/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Did anyone beat Inferno without the Auction House before 1.0.3 went live? If so, I've never heard of it. Jump in!

Remember the god mode wizard day? I happened to have a lv60 wiz (and actually all classes) ready at that time :)

She is still paragon level 1 now.
Reply Quote
AH or no AH? Softcore or hardcore? Basically, according to the replies here, whichever mode you are playing, the other modes other people are playing all suck and should be disabled since everyone enjoys the game for the same reasons. And no one plays more than one mode, because if you have a softcore character, how could you possibly also have a hardcore character. And maybe even a character that doesn't use the AH. Omg. How.
Reply Quote
Nope. Cant find anything to upgrade to save my life. In the whole time I played wiz since 300 hour in, I HAVE NOT FOUND ONE THING I CAN USE AS UPGRADE. So, not going to gear myself. I would porbably just beat inferno with lvl 0 in 1.05 with 1k hours played. Yeah, my drops are THAT BAD.
Reply Quote
A player who doesn't buy their gear is a Purist. Or at least, someone who prefers to play that way.

Since start, I have been a purist 100%. Three weeks ago however I was bored and bought some Barb and Wiz items so I could see what it is like to stack a particular stat. For Barb I did Thorns and Wiz Life Regen (spent 200k all up on cheap gear). It was fun a little while but didn't last long. Since then though I have played my usual play-style.

Some things to note about not using the AH...

1. Most people who say they don't use it do. Gear is so darn random you will never get perfect matching stats on all your gear. Maybe an odd item here and there but its pretty obvious who do and don't. Unless you trade or use the AH your gear will be unpredictable and your play-style revolves around the gear you found.

2. Before 1.4 it was impossible to get past Hell Act 3 or, if lucky the first boss on Act4. The gear drops where just horrible. I farmed for weeks and kept finding junk. The 1.4 patch fixed a lot of issues and it was possible to hit Inferno. Some said they did get past it but I have no idea how you could.

3. Before Monster Power Act 2 Inferno was insane to beat. Was stuck half way. Play enough Im sure many got to Act3 but it would have been an insane grind.

4. Stacking stats in extremely tough. Possible, but impossible to get lots of items with the single stat being high. I just can't do it. Loot is always super random and I take what I can get. Try to get Thorns on most items above 800 or 1000. Just can't do it. You can get 2000+ on the AH but best I ever found was 1000.

Now, with 1.4 and Monster Power playing as a purist is the most fun. Item drops can still be stupid random but thats how it go's with D3. I'm still trying to progress to MP0 Hell and its happening, if not slowly.

If you do have a purist, you need to play multiple characters. Otherwise the gear climb is stupid-crazy hard.
Reply Quote
I'm another monk who has played self found since the game came out. I also beat Inferno the week before 1.05 hit (Vrkhyz both inspired and encouraged me to finish up when I stalled for a bit after the hell rifts).

Well, that's why I'm here.

Did anyone beat Inferno without the Auction House before 1.0.3 went live? If so, I've never heard of it. Jump in!

Hmm, the thing is 'beat inferno'?
It's one thing getting ported to each boss in a co-op.
It's one thing going linear solo and cheesing/skipping to each boss.
It's one thing going linear and leaving not one living beast, undead or demon behind you.

The bosses never have been able to hold a candle to many affix combo champ/rare packs.

I got as far as the crater in 1.0.2 but I knew that I was out of my depth as far as my play-style, that being the 3rd example. I'd already funneled a couple of champ packs to corners and died inside the crater, in order to skip them and I realized I needed more farming.

The only boss that would have been an issue for me would have been Izual in his original OP form, so I wouldn't like to call whether I could have beaten him or not.

Back then I was a tank barb with around 6.5k dps, I went back to farming early Act 3 and Act 2, being used to farming early Act 1 to progress past Wortham, then more to progress past the Butcher, then more to survive flies in Act 2, then farming Act 2 to progress....and so on; it was the type of gaming I liked.

1.0.3 hit while I was almost ready to push through Act 3 and do it properly, and hell did it hit, I went straight through linear to Diablo and killed him in one sitting and I felt a bit robbed to be honest.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 10/26/2012 1:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A player who doesn't buy their gear is a Purist. Or at least, someone who prefers to play that way.

Since start, I have been a purist 100%. Three weeks ago however I was bored and bought some Barb and Wiz items so I could see what it is like to stack a particular stat. For Barb I did Thorns and Wiz Life Regen (spent 200k all up on cheap gear). It was fun a little while but didn't last long. Since then though I have played my usual play-style.

Some things to note about not using the AH...

1. Most people who say they don't use it do. Gear is so darn random you will never get perfect matching stats on all your gear. Maybe an odd item here and there but its pretty obvious who do and don't. Unless you trade or use the AH your gear will be unpredictable and your play-style revolves around the gear you found.

2. Before 1.4 it was impossible to get past Hell Act 3 or, if lucky the first boss on Act4. The gear drops where just horrible. I farmed for weeks and kept finding junk. The 1.4 patch fixed a lot of issues and it was possible to hit Inferno. Some said they did get past it but I have no idea how you could.

3. Before Monster Power Act 2 Inferno was insane to beat. Was stuck half way. Play enough Im sure many got to Act3 but it would have been an insane grind.

4. Stacking stats in extremely tough. Possible, but impossible to get lots of items with the single stat being high. I just can't do it. Loot is always super random and I take what I can get. Try to get Thorns on most items above 800 or 1000. Just can't do it. You can get 2000+ on the AH but best I ever found was 1000.

Now, with 1.4 and Monster Power playing as a purist is the most fun. Item drops can still be stupid random but thats how it go's with D3. I'm still trying to progress to MP0 Hell and its happening, if not slowly.

If you do have a purist, you need to play multiple characters. Otherwise the gear climb is stupid-crazy hard.

All what you said is wrong, because you have completely neglected one factor, time.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 10/26/2012 1:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Strayer
What does this person mean by dropping the set source?

Chantodo's Force
Reply Quote
All what you said is wrong, because you have completely neglected one factor, time.

And you're being rather vague. Yes, I guess you could grind for years to get perfect gear. :\
Reply Quote
10/26/2012 03:15 AMPosted by OoieGooie

And you're being rather vague. Yes, I guess you could grind for years to get perfect gear. :\

I actually did pretty much everything you said was not possible.
Reply Quote

Proved wrong.

3. Before Monster Power Act 2 Inferno was insane to beat. Was stuck half way. Play enough Im sure many got to Act3 but it would have been an insane grind..

Beat Inferno Act 2 (actually until Ghom) at 1.03. No cheating.

This is true. Though it doesn't help upgrade your main character, farming efficiency is x5 when you have 5 classes.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have been doing it for all three of my characters that are named dread. The only way that I will get gear is through drops, trading between the three dreads. Using them in a tag team farming sessions at level 60. And it might get my gold up enough to try for some lucky crafting rolls when I have both artisans at max level and have all recipes.
Reply Quote
10/26/2012 08:24 AMPosted by KyoUK

Proved wrong.

3. Before Monster Power Act 2 Inferno was insane to beat. Was stuck half way. Play enough Im sure many got to Act3 but it would have been an insane grind..

Beat Inferno Act 2 (actually until Ghom) at 1.03. No cheating.

My monk's inferno clear was in 1.0.3. Definitely doable.
Edited by ztking#1754 on 10/26/2012 8:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100% no Auction House(AH).

I have only sold a few items on the gold AH but have never, ever bought anything from either AH.

Okay kids, before you say it...no, I have NOT finished Inferno. I will one day and I will have more satisfaction doing so without using the AH then simply buying my way through the game.

Edit: I don't trade nor do I multiplay either.

Take the Ironman challenge: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6412492777
Edited by SirRight#1618 on 10/26/2012 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Everything I have on all of my characters right now I found.

Some people (*cough*) would be quick to point out that I definitely shortened the curve because I used the AH on my barb initially to help get him through Acts 1 and 2, and they'd be right, but given the state of drops these days, it wouldn't take that much longer to get to that point 100% self-found.

As easy as MP0 Inferno is these days, players shouldn't have too hard a time hitting that critical mass where all of your level 60s can run Act 3 and are all feeding each other upgrades.
Edited by Oxyn#1523 on 10/26/2012 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is anyone else trying this? or have given it a shot at least? How well is it working out for you?
Based on the responses in this thread, it seems like many people have started to try this. Right on.

I have been a 'purist', 'ironman', whatever since release. Also, I'm a casual player but I was able to efficiently farm Act 2 Inferno prior to 1.04 release. I just didn't have the time to grind out the gear 'necessary' for my class to get into Act 3. Now however, they've finally improved loot and I'm getting a self-found upgrade about 1 in every 5 thirty minute gaming sessions (about 2 full Act 1 MP4 farm - cemetary, woods, key, den, highlands, etc.). It's pretty awesome. Kudos to the development team for borrowing yet another game system from another game. Once I find some time, I'll finally kill Ghom on MP2 or 3 and then power it right thru Act 4. Then back to grinding! Wee!

As i've said in other threads, I freaking hate the auction house game system and think it's a blasphemy to the Diablo series. Shame on the developers for installing it and shame on the player base for using it. I laugh at all the people on the forums and in game complaining at things like:

"My items won't sell!", "WTS WTS WTS", "Price check..."

Haha, you're all pawns in their micro-transaction game. Sucks to be you.
Reply Quote
Semi done..

Some items i needed for my wannabe summoner wd build to make full use of thorns and health regen rune while able to play on inferno was impossible so i had to give in. no big money but it was still not possible and im still trying today without getting the same items as every other WD and really having a different build.. But its not possible, but i keep tyring because that was what i loved to do in D2 over and over but there 1 stat did not rule them all, you could stack enough of the others and still be perfectly viable but having so called build diversity.

and extremely cheap bad uniques only to try the new effects and stuff..

So i didnt make it.. Do want to try from scratch again but on MP5+ but i know the kind of loot and that build diversity isnt really possible in ways i want, seem to have something against pets my followers do more damage.
Gargantuan is nice though but anyone building like one "should" aka no build diversity is always going to have stronger and more powerful pets then one that tries to build stats to increase the power of the summons.
1 stat rules them all is not my kind of build diversity and i never want to play like everyone else, id hate to be crit barb for example as its easy mode, yet i dont want hardcore and i cant farm all day.
But im still playing now and then when im bored, no rush, hoping for a future more like D2 when it comes to interesting builds and return of auras and other goodies..

yea i know i know go take your sleeping pills grandpah.. im gonna, im gonna!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
but..boy it would nice to see what you guys are wearing..
and how far in the content you are vs. the community as a whole.

My main character uses budget gear from the gold auction house and was in Act II Inferno when patch 1.0.4 came out. I think I killed Maghda the week before it released, but never got to Zoltun Kulle. In 1.0.4, I was able to farm Act III steadily with little deaths, but my DPS was only around 25k. I finished Act IV as soon as 1.0.5 hit, but I think I could have done it before the patch if I had been willing to throw more gold at repairs from dying…but that's not my personal play style.

I recently decided I want to have a 60 with each class, so right now my play time is devoted to that goal. Once I get there I will likely swap back to my main (my Witch Doctor) and try to farm my way to some nice gear and extra Paragon levels, but I have a long way to go still. If any of you are interested in hearing more about what I am up to in Diablo III, the best way to do that is find @Grimiku on Twitter.
Reply Quote
I do not buy gear from AH. I bought gems and jeweler plans so far. I sold couple of junk.

So, yeah, I am the guy who doesn't really buy anything from AH.

Well, and my gear is crap. Check my DPS :(
Reply Quote
Just went through act 4 Inferno. Died once along the way. The stinking keywarden snuck up on me when I had my hands full of a mortar desecrating elite pack. Grrrrr.

Anyway, No AH use at all. All single character found drops. Just me & my enchantress.
Took around 120 hours total through all difficulties using only 1 inventory page.

Had a couple of good drops & blacksmith crafted items along the way, but nothing too spectacular.

I'm a terribly bad gamer, so anyone can do this. Maybe only barbarians? Dunno. Probably is easier as a barb I suppose.

The profiles aren't updating, but I'll leave my setup intact if anyone is curious to look. Maybe they'll push a profile update by tomorrow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]