Diablo® III

Gem duplicators? Or just fail in Math?

My question is, how come people sell gems for 4m now when it takes at least 8m to make one if you have both tome of secrets and flawless squares and of course about 10 to 14m if you have to buy them too? I mean it's good for me so I dont have to waste time making it but something sure is fishy about this.
Reply Quote
For sure something is fishy as I read people are duplicating gems too... Blizzard should take actions to fix the bugs in order to protect the regular players like us. I spent 14M to get my gems previously and now it's worth 4.8M in Auction House... where the crafting cost for any radiant gem is 15.6M if I didn't do the math wrong... How does that make sense!! Even if people are quitting the game, there is no way on earth that someone would sell 1/4 of the cost.
Reply Quote
The correct price for a radiant star gem is 15.400.000 gold, counting that all of the materials (perfect square gems and tomes) are FOUND, and NOT BOUGHT on the AH. Every bought material is making it more expensive.
And as I stated in a previous thread, people who are good (players) enough to make a radiant star gem, could not be so bad in math that they could not count their huge loss if selling the gem for 1/3 or even 1/4 price.

They are selling this cheap for a reason.
Reply Quote
its obvious duplication and its killing an aspect of the game. Not to mention these people are getting free gold, this has been happening for a while now.... whats the blizzard response. F&ck all.
Reply Quote
last week when i checked the prices it was around 19m each, but right now the price range is 5 to 6m O.o
Reply Quote
duping is only speculation... but here's another to add to the pile. People are leaving this game and want to cash out asap on top of all the gems people (botters mostly) stockpiled leading to a surplus of gems. The ones still playing this game already have their high gems so the only way to get rid of the gems is to cater to the poor by dropping their value. Gems were under 10m last week and under 8m this week. The faster they drop, the better for the poor like myself.
Reply Quote
Hi all,
I am from Germany, EU-Server, and we are experiencing the same drop in value as you do.
I could bet last week (pre-patch) the price for radiant star gems was above this zero-profit mark of 18,117,647 gold (substract 15% auction-fee and you get the overall cost of 15.4M).
The current price on the asian-server is at 250k.

Whether there is dupe or just stupid people around.. this really affects the market.
Hopefully there will be a blue-post soon.

Imho, there are concurrent sellers using an exploit to generate gems out of nowhere, undercutting each other to make maximum profit.
Reply Quote
I don't think this makes sense, but maybe botters have an incentive to sell at a loss?
Reply Quote
Supposedly it has something to do with hacking attempts and account recovery in a deliberate and organized manner.
Edited by HeavyD853#1749 on 10/26/2012 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
on asians radiant star gems cost 100k this can only be a dupe...
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 10:14 AMPosted by JMT
duping is only speculation... but here's another to add to the pile. People are leaving this game and want to cash out asap on top of all the gems people (botters mostly) stockpiled leading to a surplus of gems. The ones still playing this game already have their high gems so the only way to get rid of the gems is to cater to the poor by dropping their value. Gems were under 10m last week and under 8m this week. The faster they drop, the better for the poor like myself.

I think this is probably the best explanation. Have you noticed that legendary prices have dropped, as have brimstones? If there are tons of gems around and few players needing them, then it is still better to take a loss than to sit on it and wait and hope for the prices to go up again. People quit or switch classes and need different gems. There is also no gem sink, so every gem made stays in the economy forever. So of course that means gems amounts are increasing all the time but the number of players and shoppers is not increasing at the same rate. When there are too many of something, the cheapest price sells first, so everyone is undercutting each other. I can believe duping happens, but this is really a pretty straightforward phenomenon. Don't complain about botters, complain about a lack of item and gem sinks in the game.
Reply Quote
Could also be because the amount of flawless square gems that drop now. I had 200 in my inventory. I started to make them up to stars, the only way to make a profit before the prices started rising again.. I accidentally posted 1 or 2 for 60k instead of 600k. . Same thing with essence. I posted 5 x100 inferno essence for 100 a piece instead of 1k a piece by accident. Not saying that this is what is happening, but I am sure I was accused of duping. I felt really dumb the next day when I checked my auctions. Someone at least got a good bargain at my expense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]