Diablo® III

Act 3 Key Warden drop rate, unbalanced?

I was doing runs for the act3 key two nights ago , and got two drops back to back .. 1st and second run of the night ... nothing on the third ..
Reply Quote
I agree act 3 warden is one of the hardest. I farm onMP 4 solo and got 3 keys in 3 runs each act. The did another run act 3 no key. Haven't tried again. Also it seems if you solo your are more apt to get a key.
Reply Quote
10/18/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Piousqd
I am not sure if it is intentional or not, but the act 3 key warden seems to have a much lower drop chance for its key? I run my acts on MP5 and have no issues getting the other keys. I just ran act 3 warden 7 times ( yes with 5 stacks of neph) and got 1 key, on the 6th time. Other people in trade chat at the time are voicing the same issues... Can someone tell me if it is supposed to be a different drop rate, or broken, or just Terrible RNG luck?

I've got 4 keys of terror in my stash. The guy throws a key at me about every second or third time I kill him.
Reply Quote
I still believe it's a Chance Drop.
I did Act3 three times in a row, all three dropped the key. But when I did it for Act1 & 2, it's not so in that fashion. Only had 1 key for 3 runs each.
Reply Quote
I got about 7-8 tries on a3 and no luck, for a1 and a2 the key dropped after 3-4 tries.

I love whine threads.
Reply Quote
dumbest thing i ever half read, geez people will complain to no end about anything
Reply Quote
I also got very bad experience with the A3 key.

It may be a bug. Many of the complains in this thread come from ranged class. Perhaps, some skill or killing blow or the follower or the distance affect the drop.
Reply Quote
The people that write: "I did one run and got a key" or "I did three runs and got two keys" need to realize their sample numbers are simply too low. Sure, I've gotten 3 keys from act 3 so we all know they do indeed drop. What I'm referring to is the accumulated statistics.
I got my first 2 keys on my first 2 runs from him on mp3 the day the patch came out.
I then decided to gather a slew of infernal machines and do back to back runs so I started with act 1. Drop rates were statistically in-line. Same with act 2. Act 3 however is a different story. I'm at 14 runs and only ONE key. I still think the sample is a little small (should be 30+) but it's not looking good right now (i.e. not likely going to catch up by dropping 10+ times in a row).

In other words, my beef is with the overall drop rate not being in-line with what they claim it should be. And I think that's total BS. If you set expectations, better meet them. If they said it's a flat 10% across the board and good luck. Ok, I wouldn't be here writing this as my expectations would be as such.

Anyway, for those that feel the need to make comments like "dumbest thing i ever half read, geez people will complain to no end about anything", look in the mirror and stop complaining about people complaining. I'm pointing out the drop rate is not meeting set expectations from a statistical perspective.
Reply Quote
Finally got my key on my 59th run in A3. lol. I got set item off him on the 58th attempt.
Reply Quote
10/22/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I am not sure if it is intentional or not, but the act 3 key warden seems to have a much lower drop chance for its key? (...) Can someone tell me if it is supposed to be a different drop rate, or broken, or just Terrible RNG luck?

The Keywardens all have the same innate drop rates. So, as some players in this thread have already mentioned, the variation you're experiencing is due simply to the nature of RNG. The only MP strength in which the keys and organs are guaranteed to drop if you have a full five stacks of Nephalem Valor is MP10 (100% drop chance). Lylirra also posted a bit more about MP and keys [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6893750712#12"]here[/url].

So you are saying it is completely normal to take 14-16 runs at MP5 just because "that is the nature of RNG"

I really want to bring to question your generator algorithm. I design RBG and RNG algorithms for my job and I have not experienced a set of entropy data that I expected less than 1% of the time, yet in diablo 3 I can consistently show examples of drop rates that should only occur 0.0001% of the time.

I simply don't buy "that's the nature of RNG" when it so often proves to be on both ends of the spectrum of "random".
Reply Quote
10/22/2012 05:53 PMPosted by CyberGoat
Key drops aren't the frustrating part for me. I have control over what key warden I go after. Having no control over what portal spawn I get after putting in so much time to get the infernal machine and then ending up with the wrong one is the frustrating part. No organ drop is insult to injury.
Play on MP10.
Farm 3 machines first, then you're gauranteed to get ALL the portals in a single game.

You do have control over it, you just don't wish to use your control.

No, that would just waste 3 infernal machines as I wouldn't be able to defeat the bosses on MP10. My original statement holds true.
Reply Quote
10/24/2012 04:30 PMPosted by Matthew
Play on MP10.
Farm 3 machines first, then you're gauranteed to get ALL the portals in a single game.

You do have control over it, you just don't wish to use your control.

No, that would just waste 3 infernal machines as I wouldn't be able to defeat the bosses on MP10. My original statement holds true.

Your original statement:
"Having no control over what portal spawn I get after putting in so much time to get the infernal machine and then ending up with the wrong one is the frustrating part."

You do have control over it by the previous poster's method (spawning all 3 portals in 1 game). Your original statement in fact does not hold true.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 07:06 PMPosted by RaxZergling

The Keywardens all have the same innate drop rates. So, as some players in this thread have already mentioned, the variation you're experiencing is due simply to the nature of RNG. The only MP strength in which the keys and organs are guaranteed to drop if you have a full five stacks of Nephalem Valor is MP10 (100% drop chance). Lylirra also posted a bit more about MP and keys [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6893750712#12"]here[/url].

So you are saying it is completely normal to take 14-16 runs at MP5 just because "that is the nature of RNG"

I really want to bring to question your generator algorithm. I design RBG and RNG algorithms for my job and I have not experienced a set of entropy data that I expected less than 1% of the time, yet in diablo 3 I can consistently show examples of drop rates that should only occur 0.0001% of the time.

I simply don't buy "that's the nature of RNG" when it so often proves to be on both ends of the spectrum of "random".

I have to agree with you. I'm tired of being lied to. I now have a much larger sample size and I'm still well below the expected average (over 20% below what it should be).

Obviously something wrong.
Reply Quote
I'd tend to agree with the idea that the A3 keywarden's drop rate is significantly lower... I know RNG is RNG... but it's getting a little ridiculous. First time seeking them out post 1.0.5, I went 1/1 in both A1 and A2, at anywhere from mp1 to mp3 only. Then on the same mp levels, I've gone 0/40~ on A3 key. Over the course of three or four days now, in short bursts, on MP1 to MP3 (usually MP3 as of late as the shockingly low drop rate made me want to keep it at least MP3) and still not a single key. Not to mention about half way through I switched from finding/killing as fast as I could regardless of NV, to strictly farming NV5 then killing, still nothing for about half the kills.

So yeah, RNG is RNG, but considering what the rates are supposed to be, I am WAAAY over the average at which the key should've dropped by now... I'll keep at it here and there, but it's getting a little ridiculous.
Reply Quote
Not only are the rates lower than they should be individually but look at how many people are noticing the same thing (although for some it's other acts, the majority of people complaining of lower actual drop rates vs. expected drop rates is mostly on act 3).

Makes one wonder.
Reply Quote

Your original statement:
"Having no control over what portal spawn I get after putting in so much time to get the infernal machine and then ending up with the wrong one is the frustrating part."

You do have control over it by the previous poster's method (spawning all 3 portals in 1 game). Your original statement in fact does not hold true.

That isn't control, not in the context I was using it in, that is, when compared to the control you have over farming a specific boss for keys. It can take a while to create an infernal machine depending on what mp you play at. 3 machines does guarantee 3 portals but that is only after a big time investment and then you hope for a lucky drop. You can have 5 spines, 8 fangs, and zero eyes. What can a player do to even out these numbers? Next to nothing. That isn't control. That is frustration. If you have an unbalanced number of keys you simply change acts and farm. No organ drop, you complain about it on the forums.
Edited by Matthew#1923 on 10/26/2012 2:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just dit the key warden on act 1 inferno on MP10 (took us an hour to kill him) with a buddy of mine and only 3 blue drops??
I tought it was a 100% drop on MP10

What happened?
Reply Quote
I heard at MP10, all wardens have the same drop rate lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]