Diablo® III

Goldspammers: When will you deal with them?

i updated my game and tried out the new patch.

46 friend request. all bots.

i'm sure a blind eye is turned to botting. i mean after the TRU 10 dollar saga. i'm sure there are more bots now than ever.
Reply Quote
News flash everyone Blizzard doesn't give a FU<K. the reason they dont show you them being banned is because their not. That would require blizzard to spend money...
Edited by Rusty#1462 on 10/22/2012 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Surely this must be against the ToS?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6934725586?page=2
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
For every thread complaining about bots and spammers, there's another thread of someone complaining "Blizz why did you ban me!? I did nothing wrong!" They have to be careful, to minimize false positives.

While public naming and shaming is popular, it's also juvenile and uncivilized. Blizzard would rather eliminate problems invisibly than publicly acknowledge their existence, even if in the same breath they're saying that they banned them.

They do need to work on improving their accuracy, so they can be more aggressive. And giving players more options to deal with it themselves, such as the ability to disable friends requests, would help a lot. Player-configurable client-side filtering (like they added to Diablo II a while back) gives people the tools to solve their own problems, without Blizzard risking muting the wrong people.
Reply Quote
We certainly understand that the activities of gold spammers can negatively impact everyone's gameplay experience. Rest assured, though, that even if we don't explicitly call it out, we're actively investigating and actioning gold-spammers on a regular basis.

The best thing you can do about gold spammers both in-game and on the forums is to report them so that the proper teams can investigate those reports. Doing so allows us to hone in on problematic players so that we can take appropriate action against offending accounts.

It doesn't bother me any.

In fact, I welcome it because no one else invites me to be their friend.

:(

Life is very long when you're lonely.

lol that made me smirk. dark humor with a burn to the lame social aspect of d3.
Reply Quote
For every thread complaining about bots and spammers, there's another thread of someone complaining "Blizz why did you ban me!? I did nothing wrong!" They have to be careful, to minimize false positives.

While public naming and shaming is popular, it's also juvenile and uncivilized. Blizzard would rather eliminate problems invisibly than publicly acknowledge their existence, even if in the same breath they're saying that they banned them.

They do need to work on improving their accuracy, so they can be more aggressive. And giving players more options to deal with it themselves, such as the ability to disable friends requests, would help a lot. Player-configurable client-side filtering (like they added to Diablo II a while back) gives people the tools to solve their own problems, without Blizzard risking muting the wrong people.

I haven't read anyone say anything about public naming and shaming, but the op is right about spammers running rampant since near the release. I too have been diligently reporting all those annoying request. I think after about 50 I would like a little proof that blizzard is actively doing something.
Edited by Nel3000#1731 on 10/22/2012 4:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
We certainly understand that the activities of gold spammers can negatively impact everyone's gameplay experience. Rest assured, though, that even if we don't explicitly call it out, we're actively investigating and actioning gold-spammers on a regular basis.

The best thing you can do about gold spammers both in-game and on the forums is to report them so that the proper teams can investigate those reports. Doing so allows us to hone in on problematic players so that we can take appropriate action against offending accounts.

I wonder why I keep getting spam from the same person since months ago who I reported several times, yet he is still spamming. Your "proper teams" aren't doing their jobs.

Gold seller hacks account, creates character adfaflsf that he uses to spam. Deletes character before it is muted and/or the account is banned.

Gold seller hacks another account, creates character adfaflsf that he uses to spam. Deletes character before it is muted and/or the account is banned.

Gold seller hacks still another account, creates character adfaflsf that he uses to spam. Deletes character before it is muted and/or the account is banned.

And so forth and so on.

In the meantime, all you see is spam by adfaflsf, leading you to believe it's the same character and that either Blizz can't or won't control the gold sellers.
Reply Quote

i have reported phishing accounts in game and in forums. it has been a few weeks and no action has yet been taken. that particular account i reported is still spamming fake blizzard gm messages
Reply Quote
View profile
Personally I like the idea of being able to set an amount and charge spammers gold to send me a friend request. If I accept their request, they get their gold back, but if I decline their request I keep their gold.

I bet that would stop gold spammers from sending me friend requests pretty quickly.

You just won the thread
Reply Quote
View profile
How do we actually know action is taken against gold spammers? We need some names and figures.

Would be better if the reports we reported reply us to say like "on this day you reported a gold spammer so today that account has been banned." Something like that would let us know we do make a difference.

While every now and then we will post about [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5740846683"]particularly hefty account suspension and bans[/url], the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

As far as the actions taken against specific accounts or players, that's a private a matter to be dealt with between the account holder and Blizzard, no one else. We will not tell you if someone else's account has been suspended or banned. Keep in mind also that some gold spammers might actually be using compromised accounts, so we endevor to carefully investigate reports so that we can try to do right by legitimate players.

That's too bad for people with allegedly compromised accounts. Just suspend/ban any account with crap like going on.
Reply Quote
10/22/2012 02:12 PMPosted by HainKurt
The gold spammers don't really impact the game play experience in any way... gold botters on the other hand do. With simple methods to get rid of them, such as binding gold to the account, why not do that, and kill many birds with 1 stone?

Then they can use trade to transfer gold... say u paid $5 and you will get 10M Gold... they join to your session and u sell a potion for 10M :)

It's also very hard to distinguish what is a legitimate transaction and what isn't. A witch doctor buying life regen/thorns gear with other garbage stats could be legitimate. People have wierd buying habits. Just look at much of the crap listed for over priced amounts. Many people don't know the game on a hardcore level.
Reply Quote
block spammers IP address if that IP receive so many reports is one of the solution. They can buy another key, create another char to spam, but they obviously can't change their IP on a monthly basic.
Can bliz detect through some hide IP software or not is beyond me.

Even if they can it depends on the ISP the gold sellers are using. Not everyone has static IPs.

ban that mac address
Reply Quote
I think, right now, the most important thing and the biggest issue about gold spammers is how annoying the spams are. Can you guys, Blizz, come up with a way to block the spams? At least, I don't want them showing up on the friend list as a friend request please.
Reply Quote
17 Goblin Hunter
I am curious why it is that there's no 'automatic recall' of messages and/or invites.

In other words, if some threshhold of people report a given person for friend-inviting or for spamming a channel, it doesn't seem that there's much harm in automatically rolling back all of the reported person's invites/messages. The chat log would need some work to handle remote deletion of a message, but the benefit is that the value to the spammer of delivering that spam is greatly lowered.

Even if all that happened was that reporting something deleted it from my local chatlog (and locally session-blocked the alleged spammer), the system would feel much, much more effective.
Reply Quote
How do we actually know action is taken against gold spammers? We need some names and figures.

Would be better if the reports we reported reply us to say like "on this day you reported a gold spammer so today that account has been banned." Something like that would let us know we do make a difference.

While every now and then we will post about [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5740846683"]particularly hefty account suspension and bans[/url], the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

As far as the actions taken against specific accounts or players, that's a private a matter to be dealt with between the account holder and Blizzard, no one else. We will not tell you if someone else's account has been suspended or banned. Keep in mind also that some gold spammers might actually be using compromised accounts, so we endevor to carefully investigate reports so that we can try to do right by legitimate players.

Blizzard doing their jobs, if you don't want to receive those messages, leave Channel problem solve !!! Or do you want Blizzard to post thier name/address too ? Gosh let's get real !!!
Reply Quote
I am also sick of these gold spammers.

They always come up with some random name and simply sends invite to everyone. Question is.....

1) how did they manage to create so many accounts? Buying diablo 3 for 60 dollars over and over again and spam out there? Then i feel they are rather stupid if people know that they are cons and eventually they lose more money. Can someone tell me how they do it without making losses?

2) wtf can i do to block them? I click report spam but they keep coming back. I pity my bro the most especially he only comes back on weekends to play and HOLA, massive gold spammers request. Can we have some tick box in friend request to just tick and click report spam in one click? Feels tiring to click and click at the deny button.
Reply Quote

While every now and then we will post about particularly hefty account suspension and bans, the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

Way to link a round of suspensions 4 months old...when can we expect the next round of economy stabilizing bans to occur? 2044?

I am not a fan of gold spammers, but what makes you think bans would stabilize the economy? Sure, gold sellers cheapen gold, making items sell for astronomical amounts of gold in the Gold AH... but items will sell based on the demand, whether or not gold is cheap. An item inflated by cheap gold selling for 400 million gold isn't any more out of reach than an item selling for 4 million gold when gold is extremely valuable. Just two different ends of a spectrum of value.

Ban gold sellers sure, but only because they are annoying, not because you expect the economy to suddenly repair itself.
Reply Quote
One of the reasons I stopped playing D3 was because of the annoying gold spammers. No matter how many times I report, it seems like the problem never gets rectified. The only friend requests anyone is getting in this game is from gold spammers. Blizz needs to implement a filter at the very least. It's interesting that after 5 months, they haven't even addressed the community fully on this topic. Instead of investigating each report of a gold spammer (which I assume is in the thousands daily), why don't they implement filters and fine tune them as they go?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]