Diablo® III

Goldspammers: When will you deal with them?

I was gone for a week.

I just got back and had 5 new friend requests... all of them were spammers and I reported every one of them. Not much else I can do.
Reply Quote
i can deal with bot spammer in chat channels, ill just block the chat channel and stay in party chat

the problem is how the fk do they have access to our account name???? in diablo 2 i never received a friend request from a bot, why in diablo 3 we receive so much? EVERY DAY i have to report every 5 to 12 friend request from bot

diablo3walmart.com and all those gold selling website blizzard should sue them ALL for ruinning their player exeperience

i know you cant stop the botters to create account and spam in the chat but do something about our Account name being tracked and spam..

Why do website like Diablo3progress have all our information, all character and progress??? How the hell our account names are so easy to find?????????????????

and i understand you cant BAN every account that spam gold, I, myself got my account stolen by a gold botter/spammer and i had my acc rolled back , if blizzard would have destroyed my acc it would be silly
Reply Quote
Bliz should hire a band of mercenaries to handle things. I'm sure they can figure out the location of the botter businesses. Send in the mercs and once they verify the botters, destroy all their computer equipment and slap them around a bit for laughs.

To recover some of the cost of paying the mercs, have one with a head-cam streaming their assault and sell a livestream of the destruction.

Man, that'd be awesome...
Edited by Ringo#1617 on 10/23/2012 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I been sending in report or report them, but dont think it will do any good. Bet best would be the ignored button!
Reply Quote
While every now and then we will post about particularly hefty account suspension and bans, the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

One round of bans four months ago. Not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

The unabated flow of goldspammer messaging shows that your methods are ineffectual and you need to rethink your approach to this. Follow the gold, not the chat.
Reply Quote
Blame the player that actually gives money to these scumbags. I'd like to see the player using the services punished more than the actual gold seller because its them that causes the problem. If there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't be around.
Reply Quote
First of all, I highly doubt any gold sellers are actually buying additional $60 accounts. It would simply be too expensive.

The accounts spamming will be compromised accounts which were hacked en masse by computer scripts/keyloggers or successful phishing attempts (yes there are a lot of naive people out there).

From Blizzard's perspective it's basically like trying to stomp out an army of ants and more just keep on coming... really the best you can do is report spam all of them so the account gets locked out ASAP. But, the spammers will prolly have access to a few thousand more compromised accounts where that one came from.

The blame is really half and half here though...

Blizzard made the HUGE mistake of forcing everyone to swap to an e-mail address as a login ID, creating an enormous security breech. Since Login ID's must contain the @anything.com sequence it can be used to easily identify it as a possible login/password combination for a Blizzard Account. Once the sequence is detected by a keylogger the information just needs to be cropped to convert it into the actual ID and password. Using this information databases of thousands of potential compromised accounts can be automatically recorded and accessed. The spambot will just load up a new one once the current account is banned.

The other half of the blame is on the account owner for running on a compromised system or falling for a phishing attempt.
Reply Quote
"the problem is how the fk do they have access to our account name???? in diablo 2 i never received a friend request from a bot, why in diablo 3 we receive so much? EVERY DAY i have to report every 5 to 12 friend request from bot "

Most likely you've been keylogged and they either only got the login ID and missed the password or you're running an authenticator preventing your account from being stolen outright.
Reply Quote
10/22/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Vaeflare
As far as the actions taken against specific accounts or players, that's a private a matter to be dealt with between the account holder and Blizzard, no one else. We will not tell you if someone else's account has been suspended or banned. Keep in mind also that some gold spammers might actually be using compromised accounts, so we endevor to carefully investigate reports so that we can try to do right by legitimate players.

Maybe you guys should modify the EULA to state something to the effect of "Accounts used for spamming [define spamming] tells, friend requests, etc., for the purposes of advertising or otherwise marketing websites, goods, services, or other sales are not allowed and will be locked for investigation with appropriate action taken in court.

So you know... scare people AND you can make money in court. CHAH (court house auction house) > RMAH!

-Wyv
Reply Quote
Most likely they aren't buying accounts to spam, just like in WoW all the spammers are using stolen accounts. They SHOULD have shipped authenticators with the game. It would have saved them money in the long run.

EVERYONE GET AN AUTHENTICATOR! Free for your iPhone and Droid, or you can get the physical one for less than the cost of a pizza.
Reply Quote
Bliz should hire a band of mercenaries to handle things. I'm sure they can figure out the location of the botter businesses. Send in the mercs and once they verify the botters, destroy all their computer equipment and slap them around a bit for laughs.

To recover some of the cost of paying the mercs, have one with a head-cam streaming their assault and sell a livestream of the destruction.

This
Reply Quote
I get spam in my e-mail about my account beign compromised and other crap over the years for like 4-5 years at least about my WoW account.... (I DONT EVEN PLAY WOW) and about Diablo3 when it came out and so on.

Reported it; nothing gets done to take them down or whatever.
Let's see... I don't get any of that from GW1 or GW2's ArenaNet or EA or SWTOR or other games or even free to play games Nexon, Ndoors, who the heck knows it's just Blizzard. Can't even discern which one's real blizzard e-mail and which one isn't guess they didn't care to reserve those addresses.
Reply Quote
You should add a category in the report system for gold spammers. I don't feel reporting them for spam is sufficient, as repeated spamming constitutes harrassment. Either that, or everyone that reports them bump it up to harrassment. Perhaps that will raise the level of the investigation.
Reply Quote
Get rid of trading gold in the trading window. Force them more steps to do business which makes it easier for more ways to trap them and disrupt it.

And no I don't care about the few people who give gold to friends. Doubt any of you really exist anyway

This is a terrible idea! My friends and I borrow and pay gold back and forth all of the time...
Reply Quote
honestlly it doesn't bother me at all. I just go on decline them all it doesn't even take a minute away from my playing time. and continue on.
and yes I have friends that have given me gold when I am short and I also given gold to friends when they are short and the same for good gear.
Reply Quote

This

This please.
Reply Quote
Gold spammers or bots? All I want is plenty bots removed from the game so that gold find and looting gold is relevant. Right now it's pointless to have gold find and looting gold, as it just wastes time/effort for finding that good item worth a lot of gold.
Reply Quote
What needs to be addressed is the Friend Request notification.

A few months ago you reported that you fixed something when user were reporting as SPAM a friend request. Well it looks like nothing is still happening when we do report those.

When I will get home tonight I will probably have a new friend request from a spammer. UNTIL I get home, many will get the same friend request and will flag it as spam. Why then, that friend request is not automatically removed from all accounts? That way I will get home later today and won't have to deal with that friend request since it has been reported so many times that it's banned without more investigation.

I mean that's the way it should work, no?

P.S. I must add that I'm glad it's only 3-4 a week but I wanted to add my 2 cents. 10 or more would be a PITA.
Edited by Rhialto#1451 on 10/23/2012 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While every now and then we will post about particularly hefty account suspension and bans, the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

As far as the actions taken against specific accounts or players, that's a private a matter to be dealt with between the account holder and Blizzard, no one else. We will not tell you if someone else's account has been suspended or banned. Keep in mind also that some gold spammers might actually be using compromised accounts, so we endevor to carefully investigate reports so that we can try to do right by legitimate players.

whatever you're doing to "combat spam"......

YOU ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH.

that is all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]