Diablo® III

Goldspammers: When will you deal with them?

We certainly understand that the activities of gold spammers can negatively impact everyone's gameplay experience. Rest assured, though, that even if we don't explicitly call it out, we're actively investigating and actioning gold-spammers on a regular basis.

The best thing you can do about gold spammers both in-game and on the forums is to report them so that the proper teams can investigate those reports. Doing so allows us to hone in on problematic players so that we can take appropriate action against offending accounts.

re: the pro gold spammers

is it REALLY a problem that is going to be fixed by addressing it just within the scope of a player or account? no, it's more like .... IP bans and/or some kind of activity pattern matching to prevent these ppl from making accounts in the first place, or text pattern matching to prevent them from sending the spamful invites or chats in the first place.

how many legitimate invites are going to contain a URL, fgs?!

how many legitimate chats are going to contain a long phrase repeated 3-4 times, with one or more dollar signs, dashes, urls, etc.?!

think a little, IMO. try a little IMO.
Reply Quote
If you got Billions of of gold and unless you bought it off the RMAH then your a gold spammer. Doesn't matter if the account of a legitimate player was compromised, ban them until they can prove otherwise. Looks pretty simple to me. You say you want to be careful but you'd rather NOT piss off the few legit accounts and let the whole community be mad...that does not make sense at all?
Reply Quote
FINALLY, someone made this thread.
Reply Quote
I log in every day and have a friend request from gold spammers or lvlers i just report their account (of course it is just has random characters in the name) and go about my business.
Reply Quote
the gold spammers are paying for jay to double his meal!
Reply Quote
We certainly understand that the activities of gold spammers can negatively impact everyone's gameplay experience. Rest assured, though, that even if we don't explicitly call it out, we're actively investigating and actioning gold-spammers on a regular basis.

The best thing you can do about gold spammers both in-game and on the forums is to report them so that the proper teams can investigate those reports. Doing so allows us to hone in on problematic players so that we can take appropriate action against offending accounts.

I don't normally quote and call out a Blizzard post like this, but this is too much and you know this is a BS, canned response. Since I began playing back in June I have done nothing but report, report, and block spammers. I've noticed they have a general, common name theme. Reporting and blocking spammers and bots in this game doesn't seem to do much. It's like playing whack-a-mole. For example, I can't remember how many times I've reported particular bots with the "PvE" name. They never stop and it's been happening since June.

The unfortunate thing about this and why Blizzard has my sympathy is that I think they're naturally on the losing end. Blizzard's only option is a reactionary solution which always puts them a step behind. People have high expectations from Blizzard for something they're never going to fully achieve.

Just think about what your typical botter or spammer is like. A group of Asian !@#$%^-s who have no integrity or passion, except to screw people over and make money. I'm sure there are western ones, too, but lets not kid ourselves. Asia is extremely bankrupt when it comes to online integrity and media products. Don't believe me? Look up the figures.

Basically what I'm saying is learn to deal with it because this problem isn't going away any time soon. It's like demanding email providers to completely negate spam mail. There's always going to be some fruitcake out there who thinks your !@#$ need to be bigger. When Blizzard chose to make this game revolve around real money, it was like a wounded buffalo in the middle of the African savanna. Every hyena, lion and vulture will eventually come for it.
Edited by Cars#1578 on 10/23/2012 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 11:16 AMPosted by ArticFaux
I log in every day and have a friend request from gold spammers or lvlers i just report their account (of course it is just has random characters in the name) and go about my business.

this!!!!+++++++

it takes 10 seconds to click "report spam"

if people would stop buying gold they would eventually go away because it wouldn't be worth their time to keep advertising and buy new accounts to spam us with
Reply Quote

Okay but do you understand how long it takes for each one? It feels like a few seconds for each friend invite. I've given up reporting and I'm sick of having 14 new friend requests (and counting). I don't want to go through the trouble to report each one.

Can there be "report all new friend requests" button for added convenience?
Reply Quote
Blizzard should add reporting scaming punks to the options.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 11:41 AMPosted by scottle6

Waste of time, unless if 25 people clicking it would give the result of removing the friend request from every account so the next one to log one wouldn't have to also report it as spam because 25 already did and that action removed it.
Reply Quote
I get friend invites all the time from people with names like dsfg or adws. It's annoying. Just yesterday I had 3 new friend requests from people with this name. I report them and block them. It pisses me off each time i log in and I have to report a bunch of players who do this. Does Blizzard even look at the reports?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
It's actually even easier to fix this and stop botters on DB, IB and whatnot. Simply add in a security feature like on any website form where you enter a bunch of random text to prove your not a bot. Pops up randomly each half hour, hour, or upon entering game. Simple additive and it would most likely improve stabilization of the economy. Now why hasn't something this easy been done? Simply put Blizzard would be losing money from less botters selling on RMAH.
Reply Quote

this!!!!+++++++

if people would stop buying gold they would eventually go away because it wouldn't be worth their time to keep advertising and buy new accounts to spam us with

So what do you when you have this???!!

http://i45.tinypic.com/z4ntk.png

http://i47.tinypic.com/2e17myq.png

You get kicked from the game after 8-10 reports. Meaning you get kicked off of bnet 6-9x before you're done.

oh yeah, for some reason, 71 is the maxed friend request when logging on. You can have more when playing, but it will reset to 71 after you log off
Edited by funG#1256 on 10/23/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
10/23/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Gunzhealer
It's actually even easier to fix this and stop botters on DB, IB and whatnot. Simply add in a security feature like on any website form where you enter a bunch of random text to prove your not a bot. Pops up randomly each half hour, hour, or upon entering game. Simple additive and it would most likely improve stabilization of the economy. Now why hasn't something this easy been done? Simply put Blizzard would be losing money from less botters selling on RMAH.

Any system like captcha will no doubt will have ways to work around it. Where botters will still be able to bot with impunity. The only thing that system would do is annoy the regular players. Bad move on Blizz's part to do something like this.
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't even care about the gold spam in chat, doubt that will ever go away. The friend requests are annoying in the EXTREME though.
Reply Quote
One of the problems with Blizz having a RMAH and getting a cut of all auction sales is that it's a fine line in avoiding a conflict of interests.

I hate to say that spammers are in fact some of Blizzards best customers.

They buy multiple copies of the game.

They sell lots of stuff on the AH, generating nice profits for Blizz.

They drive up prices, generating nice profits for Blizz.

When they do eventually get banned they go out and buy another copy of the game, generating nice profits for Blizz.

It's not hard to come up with an algorithm to auto ban an account based on the number of friend requests per hour, or the number of messages sent, or suspicious bot behavior, but things will always be suspect when the game operator is reaping a share of the profits.
Reply Quote
Disclosing actual or perceived conflicts of interest is a big deal in my industry (finance) and a lot of work goes into mitigating the appearance of any conflict of interest. Even the appearance of a conflict of interest (whether one exists or not) can have devastating consequences to the individual and industry.

Does Blizzard have a written Ethics policy for the RMAH, identifying potential conflicts of interest (such as profiting from goldsellers and botters while publicly decrying them) and do they have formal processes to deal with any conflicts of interest that do arise in such instances?

Or are they just laughing all the way to the bank?
Reply Quote
I like the spammers, they always get me excited thinking maybe someone from a forum wants to be a friend..

Then i realize its just advertisment and that i usually just piss people off on the forums.
Reply Quote
stop buying gold..
Reply Quote
While every now and then we will post about particularly hefty account suspension and bans, the actions we take on accounts around the clock aren't widely publicized.

As far as the actions taken against specific accounts or players, that's a private a matter to be dealt with between the account holder and Blizzard, no one else. We will not tell you if someone else's account has been suspended or banned. Keep in mind also that some gold spammers might actually be using compromised accounts, so we endevor to carefully investigate reports so that we can try to do right by legitimate players.

At least give us numbers
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]