Diablo® III

Legendary Mini Map Ping = Underwhelming

I applaud your effort in calling out legendary drops. Overall it is a great addition. That said, the mini map ping is very underwhelming.

If the item drops and I am not near it (say im splitting off with one person while two others are elsewhere hunting for wardens) then I won't necessarily even know about it.

The minimap ping should just continue until the item is looted.

Also maybe you could introduce some text across the screen like old school Killer Instinct C-C-C-Combo Breaker

L-L-L-LEGENDARY!

Ok so that was said somewhat in jest, but you get the point.
Edited by Northern#1939 on 10/23/2012 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I haven't even been able to even see the ping when I've had legendaries drop. It's not accomplishing it's goal at this point.

I personally have no issues with seeing legendary drops and have a hard time understanding those who do, but if they're going to create a ping make it do something more noticeable.

I don't agree that it should permanently stay on the map (for instance if a Staff of Herding mat drops and I don't pick it up) because I don't want the ping staying on my map permanently.

Instead, I feel they just need to extend the ping by maybe 8 seconds.
Reply Quote
the sound when a legendary drops is also bad, i have to really really be paying attention to hear it
Reply Quote
well, There is an enormous beam of light....just saying.
Reply Quote
i got 2 words for u. "LOOT ALERT" works gear pings all legendaries and only the yellows worth picking up. all ilvl63's and some 62s
its a script, but there was a blue post saying it was ok to use. hence why they tried to add their own version into the game.. sadly it isnt very good.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I applaud your effort in calling out legendary drops. Overall it is a great addition. That said, the mini map ping is very underwhelming.

We agree, and we're looking into making the mini-map ping more visible. While I don't think we'll change the graphic or add in an alert dialog (we might, but it hasn't really come up in discussion), we definitely do want to make the ping last for a much longer period of time.
Reply Quote
10/23/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra

We agree, and we're looking into making the mini-map ping more visible. While I don't think we'll change the graphic or add in an alert dialog (we might, but it hasn't really come up in discussion), we definitely do want to make the ping last for a much longer period of time.

how about "the gods have relinquished a powerful item to you, now go grab it."
Reply Quote

my biggest concern is when someone branches off on their own i have to go through and run that area after they cleared it to see if a legendary dropped, i've never even notice the minimap ping.
Reply Quote
agreed, although a great addition it can be improved so it becomes more useful for more players :)
Reply Quote
We agree, and we're looking into making the mini-map ping more visible.

while you're at it, IMO the sound should be made much more distinct.

right now it sounds like about 10 other things, for example: finding a waypoint, seemingly about 5 different barb skills, and the sound of a DH disconnecting and connecting to "chain of torment" (which of course everyone uses, so .. it's a major problem :P)

yes, in a controlled listening environment, it may be quite distinct from all those sounds, but in the heat of battle, not so much.
Reply Quote
I still like the idea that someone said once, that Blizzard should Fed-Ex you the legendary item. To extend that idea, I suggest they send us a toy replica with an authentication key number to log into a game and retrieve it in case we didn't already pick it up during the run.
Reply Quote

I think the ping should be added to the regular map as well so that if you open the map you can see you missed a legendary even if you're not still right in the immediate vicinity.

Love the column of light effect, it makes it feel more epic when one drops and it really helps you not miss the item.
Reply Quote
Can the same effect that got added recently apply to set (green) items as well?
Edited by Replay#1910 on 10/23/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Wait? There is a ping? I haven't even noticed one haha.
Reply Quote
I must say, I'm a fan of the light pillar with Legendaries. Whenever one drops, I frequently find myself raising slightly out of my seat and making loud noises similar to when Datsyuk dangles a phenomenal wrister into the net.
Reply Quote

I havent notived the ping on any of the legendary drops I have got since patch.
Reply Quote

Thanks for making the beam of light the same as my monks skill breath of heavens so now every time i heal i think i found a leg..... thanks.

I know re imaging a currently used visualization is cheaper then making a new one but come on blizzard has the cash.......
Reply Quote
Set items are Legendaries so they will get the same effect.
Reply Quote
Hell, I'd love to be able to use our own kind of ping noise. Then you really could tell just from the ping noise it dropped as it would be very unique tou you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]