Diablo® III

iMac FPS dropping DRAMATICALLY since 1.05

I read through many posts about lagging and FPS dropping to nothing. I saw a few Blizzard responses with suggestions and I have tried them all. What is going on with this? I am not able to even play the game at this point. I have gone through normal, nightmare, and working my way through Hell without a problem until now.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f1

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6720
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C2960H-188
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 17 days 4:29

Recommended by Machkhan from another thread: Tried this and same issue -

Rebuild the Diablo III Cache
1. Navigate to /Applications/Diablo III/Data_D3/PC/MPQs and delete the Cache folder.
2. Then, navigate to Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent and delete the Agent.db file.
3. Run the Diablo III Launcher and let the game update it's files.
4. Press Play when you see Game is up to date
Resetting permissions on the Diablo III folder
1. Select the Diablo III folder
2. Press Command + I
3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
5. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Have you tried an SMC reset?

Resetting the SMC
Reply Quote
I have not reset the SMC. Due to not having any other problems with any other program I run on this system. The only issue is fighting Magdah in Act 2. I can run through the previous quests without issue. It's only happening when I enter the witches lair to fight her. And it is every single time without fail no matter what steps I take to eliminate the problem. And it only started after the 1.05 upgrade and patch. I have gone through other quests in Hell without any difficulty that I can recall. I would have complained about those as well had they popped up.

Thank you very much for responding. If there are no other options I can try to reset the SMC, but I see no reason to as every other program functions properly and I am having none of the symptoms described in the SMC reset page.
Reply Quote
Hi, I am also experiencing the same issue. I've just updated to 1.05a and suddenly, my game became extremely jerky and there is an obvious lag time for every action carried out in the game, even in the AH when selecting the different parameters.

I've tried the solutions here, including resetting the SMC and nothing works. Please advise on what else to do, as this issue only kicked in after the patch update, it should likely have something linked to that.

Edit: There is nothing wrong with my latency. It is very healthy. And to add in, I am using the Retina Macbook Pro. Never had problems with the FPS/ a jerky game.
Edited by RumNRaisins#6889 on 10/26/2012 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Having the same issue on my late 2011 MBP. Never had a single problem with D3 throughout months of play, and only after updating to 1.05a I've started to experience serious lags. Unplayable and very disappointing.
Reply Quote
I'm in the same boat as RumNRaisins. My Retina Macbook Pro got extremely jerky, but reporting the same latency and FPS as prior to 1.05a. Resetting the SMC does nothing for this problem. Please, if anyone finds a solution, post!
Reply Quote
It drives me nuts when they suggest SMC resets.

When the game first came out it suffered from the same performance issues on Macs. They fixed it after a couple patches and the game was enjoyable. Somewhere along the line they broke it again and ruined the playability of the game.

Fix it and stop breaking it.
Reply Quote
I'm on a rMBP and updated to 1.05a. The patching went fine, started up D3 and noticed I had around 12fps, so I shutdown my computer and reset the SMC and my fps was up to normal again.

Now my problem is that I get some stuttering where it cuts off the sound (like when my follower (scoundrel) says something) and the game freezes for about 1/2 second (and my follower's sentence never completes). This happens very often. I tried changing to lower sound settings and also lower Graphics, but nothing helps.

Feels almost like there is some sound effect that can't play or something and therefore it instead shuts down the audio and the whole game freezes for about 1/2 second. Then all is working as normal, this happens about 3 times per minute or so (not regular).

ps. English is not my native language, but I hope you understand.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
pls fix
Reply Quote
I never post on forums. I came here to post because this problem is so bad I cannot play anymore. I work 12 hours a day and come back home to relax for an hour of gameplay if I'm lucky enough.

I have a similar iMac to OP. Same problem. Game was running smooth as butter at relatively high resolutions and settings. After 1.05 I now have massive fps spikes rendering the game unplayable.

I play an archon wizard. When I switch on Archon ability around mobs the game literally freezes for 5 seconds and next thing I know I am dead. The FPS only slowly starts to stop spiking when i've killed most of the mobs in a zone, so it definitely seems to be mob related. This problem did not exist pre 1.05.

Tried SMC, PRAM, deleted cache and api file, everything suggested. Nothing works. All other programs and games do not have any video or fps issues.

here's my info for what its worth. I am running 10.6.8

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.54f36

ATI Radeon HD 4850:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4850
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x944a
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9110C-425
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.383
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]