Diablo® III

Throw + Rend + Traditional WW

Starting another. MP9 -- 32m XP. Gonna do Keeps 3, 2, Rakki, Fields, and then Caves depending on which one spawns.
Reply Quote
Slam + throw works better for the under geared.

I personally tested this on mp8 über solo. Quite easy
Reply Quote
Oh btw I don't really like rend. The idea of getting into melee range with a range build is counter productive for me.
Reply Quote
I have always thought fury generating moves like bash or frenzy in a WW build are so inefficient....it is a skill that sits dormant on your toolbar while you WW around. Learn to conserve your fury at the end of a battle and really increase the damage that you are inflicting.

Because I am used to running without a fury generator (and IK set makes it a lot easier to do as well, even though I have been running this build well before 1.04) I am able to out-damage a lot of barbarians that have more stat sheet DPS then me. Consider this, you run a traditional WW build with bash and whatnot, but because I don't need a fury generator I can run something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#hUcQRP!ZeY!ZZbZYc

A traditional WW barb may or may not even have overpower in their build even and a lot of times they just concentrate on sprint tornadoes and whirlwind to do their DPS, but in this build I apply rend every 5 seconds to constantly have the enemy under the effects of rend, not to mention I am WWing around and spamming overpower the entire time, dropping 300k AOE crits every 3 seconds, and my chance to crit is increased by 10% from the overpower. I find that between the 2 skills of overpower and rend being worked into my build I can easily out damage barbarians with far superior gear to mine. The drawback is that this build requires A LOT of fury, and I can only run it in high monster power levels or on uber bosses. It makes it difficult to start a battle, but that's where IK set comes in...once you start one battle, that's it, as long as you don't bottom out your fury you are good to go for the rest of the game.

So even though my stat sheet dps might be lower then yours because I have stuck with IK set...do you have the capabilities to keep the enemy under the effects of rend, spam overpower, and have an 80+ % chance to crit for the entire battle? If not, you are hamstringing yourself when it comes to damage.

I will say right here that I don't agree with acrimony on a lot of things, I think his EHP views are terribly skewed, and I think that he judges far too quickly on gear alone....I take a much different view. If someone has the skill to use a build like the one I showed above, and they have less stat sheet DPS, I think they can out damage someone with stat sheet DPS twice of their own because of the skills in their toolbar and their ability to use those skills efficiently.

The most damage from any build comes when you are able to use all your skills at one time effectively...fury generating moves are a crutch that are used by barbs who haven't been able to pull off the build without it.
Reply Quote
Yeah I didn't like fury generators either lol
Reply Quote
By the way, the above build really shines when I play with my normal group including a cyclone strike monk with overawe and a wiz that uses the increased attack speed bubble. The monk pulls all the enemies into the bubble where I am spinning around, and every enemy within 24 yards gets condensed to an area that they all are hit with rend and overpower not to mention faster spinning tornados at 48% increased damage from overawe. MP 8, 9, and 10 are actually fairly quick with this group because everybody's damage gets buffed through the roof and all AOE attacks hit all the clumped enemies for 48% increased damage.
Reply Quote
You're welcome to make another thread for this Wayne. At the end of the day though, the end game is gear and PvP when it comes out.
Reply Quote
Sounds very interesting i will be trying this and reporting back..... If i can do it with my ghetto gear most can handle it :-P
Reply Quote
Slam + throw rox.

I think someone geared showed a video in the forum b4.
Reply Quote
Slam + throw rox.

yea i do throw + slam + WW
gear only allows me to do mp7 maybe mp8
never tried mp9 ....
Reply Quote
I have always thought fury generating moves like bash or frenzy in a WW build are so inefficient....it is a skill that sits dormant on your toolbar while you WW around. Learn to conserve your fury at the end of a battle and really increase the damage that you are inflicting.

Because I am used to running without a fury generator (and IK set makes it a lot easier to do as well, even though I have been running this build well before 1.04) I am able to out-damage a lot of barbarians that have more stat sheet DPS then me. Consider this, you run a traditional WW build with bash and whatnot, but because I don't need a fury generator I can run something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#hUcQRP!ZeY!ZZbZYc

A traditional WW barb may or may not even have overpower in their build even and a lot of times they just concentrate on sprint tornadoes and whirlwind to do their DPS, but in this build I apply rend every 5 seconds to constantly have the enemy under the effects of rend, not to mention I am WWing around and spamming overpower the entire time, dropping 300k AOE crits every 3 seconds, and my chance to crit is increased by 10% from the overpower. I find that between the 2 skills of overpower and rend being worked into my build I can easily out damage barbarians with far superior gear to mine. The drawback is that this build requires A LOT of fury, and I can only run it in high monster power levels or on uber bosses. It makes it difficult to start a battle, but that's where IK set comes in...once you start one battle, that's it, as long as you don't bottom out your fury you are good to go for the rest of the game.

So even though my stat sheet dps might be lower then yours because I have stuck with IK set...do you have the capabilities to keep the enemy under the effects of rend, spam overpower, and have an 80+ % chance to crit for the entire battle? If not, you are hamstringing yourself when it comes to damage.

I will say right here that I don't agree with acrimony on a lot of things, I think his EHP views are terribly skewed, and I think that he judges far too quickly on gear alone....I take a much different view. If someone has the skill to use a build like the one I showed above, and they have less stat sheet DPS, I think they can out damage someone with stat sheet DPS twice of their own because of the skills in their toolbar and their ability to use those skills efficiently.

The most damage from any build comes when you are able to use all your skills at one time effectively...fury generating moves are a crutch that are used by barbs who haven't been able to pull off the build without it.

I once start using WW without any fury generation skill. Just like you. Problem is... when you meet extra fast, health link kiter (Occulus). The throw skill totally pawn ALL range mobs even in high level of mp. Never regret swapping it. Never looked back.

Ignoring EHP, is just like ignoring PVP. You get the idea soon enough. Unless you want to stress (like the other guy) that you gear to farm, not PVP.
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 10/28/2012 10:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Slam + throw rox.

yea i do throw + slam + WW
gear only allows me to do mp7 maybe mp8
never tried mp9 ....

Yup! i tried that too. Swapping slam. Was kinda fun. But feel a little inefficient as compare to rend or overpower.
Reply Quote
You need decent ias and crit to make it fun lol
Reply Quote
I tried this and can't say its any faster at MP5 farm. It does allow for more flexibility wrt how you engage ranged mobs, but didn't make much difference overall.

Im curious to try this on ubers, particularly ZK/SB since you can avoid the bubble and just spam weapon throw. I still think occasional double nado with bash would still be faster, no?
Reply Quote
Just soloed uber zk/seige with the hybrid build. I have been farming efficiently @ mp9 as well.

Special thanks to Acrimony and the rest of the barb community for sharing their ideas about the weapon throw/ ww build this past week.

As I mentioned some topics ago.. Any ww barb can slot no escape, replace their fury generator with weapon throw, and obtain a -4+ weapon throw belt/jewelery to increase efficiency, range, survivability, and overall dps to their barb.

No matter what mp you can currently operate at efficiently at this moment, hybridizing your ww barb will bump you up one or two mp levels.

Build diversity is also encouraged for this build. Rend is interchangable with any skill you like, and both throwing hammer and mighty throw can be use effectively.

Every ww barb should give this build a chance
Reply Quote
Just soloed uber zk/seige with the hybrid build. I have been farming efficiently @ mp9 as well.

Special thanks to Acrimony and the rest of the barb community for sharing their ideas about the weapon throw/ ww build this past week.

As I mentioned some topics ago.. Any ww barb can slot no escape, replace their fury generator with weapon throw, and obtain a -4+ weapon throw belt/jewelery to increase efficiency, range, survivability, and overall dps to their barb.

No matter what mp you can currently operate at efficiently at this moment, hybridizing your ww barb will bump you up one or two mp levels.

Build diversity is also encouraged for this build. Rend is interchangable with any skill you like, and both throwing hammer and mighty throw can be use effectively.

You might want to change your offhand to a 300spear. 50% more damage and higher dps.
It's not too expensive either. Since your echo isn't a top notched one, would be good to change it. imo. Though your attack speed will be reduce. You gain 12% movespeed. Would allow you to swap a good iceclimber for EHP and str. =)
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 10/29/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2012 11:56 PMPosted by Keik
In this regard, it might be more prudent to find methods to make WW more effective vs ranged mobs

ignore them on high mp. they arent worth the time.
Reply Quote
I thought I would add my $0.02 to Acrimony's post, perhaps explain some of the theory and practiced playstyles to those who are unaware or do not have the gear to test this before seriously investing:

Introduction:
I made an earlier post about Throw/WW barbs, essentially is a WW barb, but uses throw weapon as a fury generator instead of the traditional generator.

Seismac slam VS. HotA VS. Rend
For those wondering the effectiveness of Seismac slam, HotA, or Rend, I would say Rend is the most effective. As a traditional throw/ww barb (perhaps, we can coin a new term called "Throw Whirldwind" or Tww) Rend (lifesteal or increased damage) is very necessary because no matter how much you fear (echoing fury) or slow (throw weapon inherently slow, or cold soj) phase beasts and ubers will always be melee range. That being said, Rend (lifesteal) will allow you to tank melee range and elite/uber AOEs.

Seismic Slam IS fun. There is nothing more satisfying than doing a huge almost-1-million seismic slam crit that one-shots everything it touches in a wide cone (20 monsters killed in 1 hit). However, when you face any elite able to close the distance, your seismic slam will often miss many of the mobs and hence, Rend's pointblank AOE (PbAOE) is much more effective.

HotA I have yet to try.

300th spear and it use
Someone also mentioned 300th spear. The moment you swap your offhand from godly-offhand-of-stack-stickiness to 300th spear, you will be using throw weapon as your main damage doer because the stats of 300th spear are, at best, subpar. Not to mention the 1.2 attack speed (compared to 1.3 for axe, 1.4 for sword, or 1.5 daggers) will not allow you to WW effectively. You can still WW and keept WotB up (I occasionally practice this) but it is difficult and I am watching my fury orb more than the actual fight.

Throw Weapon as a fury sink
What I suppose would be more efficient is to (someone mentioned this earlier) use weapon throw as a fury sink (instead of spamming Sprint and Battle Rage) by using either Mighty Weapon rune for damage, or the Hammer rune for stunlocking. With all your IAS gear that you WW barbs use, spamming Hammer for stunlocking/slowing ranged elites allows you the time to run up to them to do your serious WW business. It also has a fast animation compared to something like Seismic Slam, and hits for almost-as-hard without knocback. Knockback is annoying if you are a WW barb.

Throw Weapon as a fury generator
As for fury generators, which someone mentioned earlier, I believe that fury generators ARE a crutch if you use them to generate fury (weird huh). However, if you utilize fury generators for their rune's effects (Frenzy's Maniac rune, or Bash's um..... same +damage rune), then the utiltiy offsets that low damage of fury generators. From my experience, I believe that weapon throw may be the #1 fury generator because of its insanely high damage (for a fury generator) is RANGED (htiting ranged elites that kite you, hitting MP10 ZK while he sits in his bubbles, hitting MP10 Magda while she sits in a corner with 5 arcane lasers around her) and extremely high fury return.

An effective use of Throw Weapon as fury generator
Therefore, I may bold in stating that for any WW barb (or the most effective build for very-geared PvM barbs), the most effective fury generator (as somoene had mentioned) is to use Weapon Throw (Mighty Throw or Hammer rune) combined with passive No Escape and your Battle Rage (Into the Fray rune) to shoot fury generation up to 29 per crit (100% proc ratio on weapon throw's Mighty Throw and Hammer rune). Given high end gear; 50% crit ratio and 400% crit damage, you big hits and big fury regen, thus increasing your fury-regen quality of life. It's also ranged - it slows or can stun if you rune it that way. It is only single target, but when you face MP10, you're mostly only aiming to hit the boss anyway. When you are doing elites, your normal WW/Sprint will AOE everything else down.

Other builds as effective as Tww (throw whirldwind):
Someone mentioned using HotA. Although I have yet to test this, I do not think it is as effective as WW simply because WW ignores unit collision. This implies being able to WW out of dense mobs that force you into arcane lasers or molten explosions on MP10.
Edited by Boohaha#1553 on 10/29/2012 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You might want to change your offhand to a 300spear. 50% more damage and higher dps.
It's not too expensive either. Since your echo isn't a top notched one, would be good to change it. imo. Though your attack speed will be reduce. You gain 12% movespeed. Would allow you to swap a good iceclimber for EHP and str. =)

I had a 300 spear and saw a dramatic decrease in atk speed compared to the echoing fury. My echo has the life steal which is very important since I only rely on life steal for my build.

My next upgrade will be very expensive ice climbers with move speed along with perfect trifecta gloves.

I feel the 300 spear is great for pure throw barbs however for the hybrid, you are only throwing half the time. When I am soloing ubers, my mindset is always ww for offense, wt for defense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]