Diablo® III

Throw + Rend + Traditional WW

I cant udnerstand how Blood Clan Warrior on your video hit u for 2.5k max on 10MP. He have 63k pure damage on naked barb, with 75% resist & 75% armor i receive about 4k damage. But u can't even have such resist & armor with this build. Then how?????
Edited by Keetsune#2599 on 2/10/2013 6:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I cant udnerstand how Blood Clan Warrior on your video hit u for 2.5k max on 10MP. He have 63k pure damage on naked barb, with 75% resist & 75% armor i receive about 4k damage. But u can't even have such resist & armor with this build. Then how?????

Wow. Sorry for the delayed reply. I wasn't aware this thread was still active :)

Which video are you referencing? I did a lot of damage mitigation by buffing my defenses with AR and armour. At my peak, I was capable of rolling out with 750 AR unbuffed, 6,500 armour unbuffed, and roughly ~15% dodge chance. What you might be referencing is my MP8 video -- I farmed there for quick melting of elites and reasonably good chance of getting a legendary at least once every two runs (sometimes it was once every run or more).
Reply Quote
@acrimonious
Hey acry, is this build viable without no escape? I have WT reduction, but it dont seem to generate enough fury for serk.
Edited by CoisaRuim#1626 on 2/20/2013 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
@acrimonious
Hey acry, is this build viable without no escape? I have WT reduction, but it dont seem to generate enough fury for serk.

Hey mate. Didn't see this post. Gonna bookmark it again and keep an eye on it just in case.

This build is viable without No Escape, but you will need to have high IAS to make any dent in your fury bursting. IMO, if I were to use -9 reduction, I would use it sparingly because it's not conductive to WOTB up-time from what I remember. Give it a try but let me know how it goes!
Reply Quote
Ok, i will let u know.
Reply Quote
It's gonna be hard, even if u account for 70% crit chance, u still need to be at 2.72728 attacks per second to generate 25 fury per second with weapon throw, assuming WT costs 1 fury.
The math.

15 fury(into the fray) * 100%(WT proc rate) * 70%(crit chance) - 1 (cost of weapond throw) = 9.5 average fury per crit. That way u need 2,631578947368421 attacks per second to generate 25 per sec. According to d3rawr, the breakpoint is at 2.72728 aps. Gonna test that tomorrow in game, as I can get the stats needed.
Reply Quote
It's gonna be hard, even if u account for 70% crit chance, u still need to be at 2.72728 attacks per second to generate 25 fury per second with weapon throw, assuming WT costs 1 fury.
The math.

15 fury(into the fray) * 100%(WT proc rate) * 70%(crit chance) - 1 (cost of weapond throw) = 9.5 average fury per crit. That way u need 2,631578947368421 attacks per second to generate 25 per sec. According to d3rawr, the breakpoint is at 2.72728 aps. Gonna test that tomorrow in game, as I can get the stats needed.

Math seems to hold up. I figured it wouldn't be optimised for WOTB up-time, but that's actually pretty disappointing when you break it down. Someone else did some maths on this very thing now that I'm reminded of it. I wonder if it's in this thread or somewhere else. It explains how each reduction cost procs with No Escape IIRC.
Reply Quote
Hey Acri...i'm a little confused.

How does weapon throw "generate fury" if it uses 10 fury to cast? Am I missing something or just not reading correctly.

I am sure it is the latter, but I just want to make sure.

I would love to get rid of stupid bash....but I feel weird without having something to gen fury.
Reply Quote
Hey Acri...i'm a little confused.

How does weapon throw "generate fury" if it uses 10 fury to cast? Am I missing something or just not reading correctly.

I am sure it is the latter, but I just want to make sure.

I would love to get rid of stupid bash....but I feel weird without having something to gen fury.

So I'm going to post it here.

When you use No Escape, you have a chance to return 14 fury. In conjunction with Battle Rage, you proc 15 fury per critical hit. That combines for 29 fury. So for one second of WOTB up-time, you need 25 fury. What's great about it is that using no fury reduction (which isn't recommended) you have a fury sink of 10 or less. So continuations dumping fury to gain fury -- even spamming Battle Rage and/or Sprint, allows you room to generate.
Reply Quote

When you use No Escape, you have a chance to return 14 fury. In conjunction with Battle Rage, you proc 15 fury per critical hit. That combines for 29 fury. So for one second of WOTB up-time, you need 25 fury. What's great about it is that using no fury reduction (which isn't recommended) you have a fury sink of 10 or less. So continuations dumping fury to gain fury -- even spamming Battle Rage and/or Sprint, allows you room to generate.

Hmm... even more reason to get lifesteal on my mainhand...DAMN BT CRUTCH!
Reply Quote

Hmm... even more reason to get lifesteal on my mainhand...DAMN BT CRUTCH!

You don't even need it -- just remember if you use life-steal on your off-hand and a life-steal belt, you're still going to benefit from your main hand's absorption of the off-hand's stat rolls. Your hands also alternate when throwing; keep that in mind as well.
Reply Quote
I'm considering coming back to my Barb after playing WD a bit and looking into going WT. I just got cheapo gear on my barb right now and picked up the 300th spear for like 800k this morning. Should I drop the 300th spear for this build and go with a traditional WW build OH (have a cheapo high str/cd/ls/OS sword that gives me 5k less char sheet dps then the spear does)?
Edited by heath#1914 on 2/22/2013 3:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm considering coming back to my Barb after playing WD a bit and looking into going WT. I just got cheapo gear on my barb right now and picked up the 300th spear for like 800k this morning. Should I drop the 300th spear for this build and go with a traditional WW build OH (have a cheapo high str/cd/ls/OS sword that gives me more char sheet dps then the spear does)?

800,000 gold? Wow. Great buy! :)

That's a good question. One thing I wish I had tested was whether I could fit in life-steal on my main hand -- a godly weapon with strength, vitality, critical hit damage, life-steal, etc. -- and use the 300th Spear as my off-hand. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you how effective it would be.

I know that I was able to solo Ubers using the above idea without 6% life-steal (I had 3% in this case) using a 300th Spear + a Cold Damage SoJ with 30% bonus to elite.

Other than that, I am in Hardcore now, so someone else would have to pick up the slack for you Softcore Barbarians :)
Reply Quote
Been using this build for a while and love it, but I did make one alteration for the reasons I'll explain below, along with a few other items of observation.

First off, I changed out Rend>Lacerate for Ground Stomp>Wrenching Smash. This may make some people cringe, but before you pass judgement, let me explain.

I usually run a group with a couple of friends of mine, one being a CM/Freeze wiz and the other being a Ball Lightning DH. With this combination, groups are usually dying so fast that Rend isn't going to be extremely effective for getting the kill shots. Instead, using Ground Stomp's Wrenching Smash rune, I'm able to pull spread out mobs into tighter groups which serves 3 purposes. 1) Stuns the group to allow the CM wiz to more safely get in and get that first freeze off, 2) pulls the monsters in tighter which allows the Wiz's tornadoes to hit more targets with each tick. More crits = faster cooldowns and more APoC, and 3) Allows the DH a more concentrated target to focus his Ball Lightning and Bola Shots on, which ultimately means more damage output. I should also note that the DH uses Marked for Death>Grim Reaper which also deals 12% of the damage the marked mob receives to all mobs close by, meaning even more incentive to keep the group close. Essentially what you are doing is taking one of the most charming features of a Cyclone Strike monk and incorporating this into a WW barb.

EDIT: I Forgot to mention that Ground Stomp also generates 15 Fury (more if you are using modifiers such as the Templar's Inspire skill or the Animosity passive.) This means that getting your fury going initially is as simple as running in and swinging once or twice, hitting ground stomp, and you should be good to go for Battle Rage. It's cake after that.

Next thing I want to point out is that, as it was mentioned in the beginning of this thread, the Throwing Hammer rune for Weapon Throw has a nice stun component that can effectively stun lock a single target. This is great for ubers, but also helps greatly when dealing with the Act 2 keywarden (admit it, that thing is a huge pain in the posterior once he starts spinning.) Sure, you're doing less damage, but this rune can definitely make some encounters a tad safer.

Finally, to address a debate that has taken place in a couple of spots in this thread, while MP7-10 may not be efficient for a lot of people, if you are doing over 200k paper dps, you might find that anything less than MP7 is simply not efficient at all. The reason I've found in my experience is that mobs simply don't live long enough to provide decent fury regeneration/WoTB resets. If you mow down a group in 2-3 seconds, you're often left with low fury, and a soon to expire WoTB buff. I've actually farmed more exp between MP7 and MP9 than I ever could at anything less simply due to the fact that that MP range keeps my fury in healthy supply, and provides a good platform to maintain WoTB.

I hope these modification and observations are helpful to some aspiring barbarian out there.
Edited by Skeeter#1126 on 7/15/2013 1:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
First off, I changed out Rend>Lacerate for Ground Stomp>Wrenching Smash. This may make some people cringe, but before you pass judgement, let me explain.

You should really try out Harpoon, if you use No Escape it's a mob collector "without" cooldown (it almost always resets if you hit a group), longer range and deals damage!
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 05:54 AMPosted by Necksnapper

You should really try out Harpoon, if you use No Escape it's a mob collector "without" cooldown (it almost always resets if you hit a group), longer range and deals damage!

Harpoon isn't a bad choice, and I have tried it. I personally didn't like the feel of it since it worked in a straight line instead of a more circular AoE fashion that ground stomp uses. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad to spot pull mobs into the fight once the freeze and AoEs are up. I could see it working great for ranged mobs that never seem to want to make it into the rest of the group. Getting them in and keeping them frozen would make short work of those guys.

I'll give it another look. Already using the No Escape Passive does add the interesting aspect of instant cooldown on almost every cast. This could also make it a pretty quick and efficient fury generator in a pinch.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly give this tactic more thought and testing.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/16/2013 06:23 AMPosted by Skeeter

Harpoon isn't a bad choice, and I have tried it. I personally didn't like the feel of it since it worked in a straight line instead of a more circular AoE fashion that ground stomp uses. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad to spot pull mobs into the fight once the freeze and AoEs are up. I could see it working great for ranged mobs that never seem to want to make it into the rest of the group. Getting them in and keeping them frozen would make short work of those guys.

I'll give it another look. Already using the No Escape Passive does add the interesting aspect of instant cooldown on almost every cast. This could also make it a pretty quick and efficient fury generator in a pinch.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly give this tactic more thought and testing.

with even a little bit of movement on your part you can make those groups into straight lines, it takes like 15 min of practice to get it down then you can do it whenever you want.

I also don't understand why people don't use bloodshed rune for battle cry instead of the complete over furyization of into the fray
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]