Diablo® III

Beware of user: Blizzard01

Received a whisper from user Blizzard01 stating the following:

[Blizzard Game Mast]GM: Hello dear players, the system checked out that you're using an unapproved third party software, please visit HTTP://******.NET to verify your account information. Otherwise, we will suspend your account.

Now I am sure most of us are smart enough to not fall for this, but there are plenty of people who may still be unknowing to phishing and will fall for this.

Please do not be a victim of this. If blizzard were to reach out to you it would be via email and they would not ask you to verify, but simply state to either remove said software or your account will be suspended.

Also, think logically why would you need to verify for third party software?

Just trying to do my part to help protect our community.

Hopefully blizzard will do their part and block this account. *yes I have a screenshot as well of the message if needed* Since I have reported d3walmart over 40+ times for spam requests yet still receive those.
Edited by Wind#1736 on 10/31/2012 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
why do none of you people think to remove the link from your post...Some idiot out there is going to enter the thread and check the link out.
Reply Quote
This is a well known phishing attempt that's been posted more than a few times in the forums. Block him in-game and move on.
Reply Quote
Yeah I received a whisper from Blizzard05, same as yours. Reported him for Harassment...

I can't believe people fall for that... :P
Reply Quote
@Deltbrah good point I have edited the post to reflect that.
Reply Quote
How hard is it for Blizzard to ban user name Blizzard????
Reply Quote
Yes me too i had this message today. I spammed him and get an harrastment too hope he will be banned.
Reply Quote
How is this person not banned...

Does Diablo 3 have any staff that deal with scams, exploits, hacks, etc. at all? The issue is so extreme that there are review sites complaining about how much of an issue fraudulent activity is... and countless posts about it in both Blizzard forums and 3rd party forum... ?

Why is this game always online if Blizzard takes no measures to combat fraud?
Edited by Broccoli#1885 on 11/8/2012 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to not give myself a lobotomy, which is the only way I could ever fall for this.
Reply Quote
hopefully you screenshot the whisper message and sent to hacks@blizzard or whatever the correct URL is for reporting such things are.
Reply Quote
he's a lev 7 barb or something
that makes me assume he's probably using d3 free trial
Reply Quote
10/31/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Deltbrah
why do none of you people think to remove the link from your post...Some idiot out there is going to enter the thread and check the link out.

Then that their faults lol
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The best thing you can do whenever you receive these kinds messages is to report the senders via the right-click > Report Spam or Report Harassment option. Don't click on any links that the message may refer you to, though, as they may contain malware like Trojans and keyloggers. You'll want to avoid sharing the links publicly, since that could put other players' accounts at risk, too.

If you want to learn a bit more about phishing attempts and how to help safeguard yourself against them, there's lot of great information on our security website: http://us.battle.net/en/security/theft
Reply Quote
How is this person not banned...

Does Diablo 3 have any staff that deal with scams, exploits, hacks, etc. at all? The issue is so extreme that there are review sites complaining about how much of an issue fraudulent activity is... and countless posts about it in both Blizzard forums and 3rd party forum... ?

Why is this game always online if Blizzard takes no measures to combat fraud?
It is probably a new account after another, getting the same battle tag.

The name pattern Blizz(ard)?(number)+ should be forbidden.

After speaking with an extremely nice customer service rep, I was told that Blizzard effectively permits (due to inability to enforce) all scams due to a lack of a $15 dollar subscription fee. I doubt their financial records would justify this policy, but there's only one way to find out...
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Lylirra
The best thing you can do whenever you receive these kinds messages is to report the senders via the right-click > Report Spam or Report Harassment option

why doesn't Blizzard do something proactive for a change?

rather than always just tell their customers to do something reactive.

i mean, how come someone can even have "Blizzard" as a part of a bnet name? i don't get it.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/08/2012 03:05 PMPosted by enem

Because you have that power, and it's something you can choose to exercise if you want. It's a reactive option, sure, but it's an option that's available to you nonetheless.

11/08/2012 03:05 PMPosted by enem
i mean, how come someone can even have "Blizzard" as a part of a bnet name? i don't get it.

We actually do a lot of work behind the scenes that simply isn't visible to our players. For example, "Blizzard" is a restricted name for BattleTags -- as are several variant spellings -- and has been for a very long time. It's very likely that the player in question (the one mentioned in the OP) was actually spelling their name "B-I-i-z-z-a-r-d," with a capital I. That variant wasn't restricted previously, but it's now been added to the appropriate list.

Even though we are consistently trying to remove their influence from the game, the individuals who want to advertise in Diablo III are very persistent and excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Lylirra

Because you have that power, and it's something you can choose to exercise if you want. It's a reactive option, sure, but it's an option that's available to you nonetheless.

We actually do a lot of work behind the scenes that simply isn't visible to our players. For example, "Blizzard" is a restricted name for BattleTags -- as are several variant spellings -- and has been for a very long time. It's very likely that the player in question (the one mentioned in the OP) was actually spelling their name "B-I-i-z-z-a-r-d," with a capital I. That variant wasn't restricted previously, but it's now been added to the appropriate list.

Even though we are consistently trying to remove their influence from the game, the individuals who want to advertise in Diablo III are very persistent and excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight.

Not sure if at all possible but cant the IP of these nuisances be banned? I know an IP can change like the poor soldiers having issues right now but it would seems to me that the locking of IP addresses should slow down these guys and the gold site spam i receive at least 5 times a day in the form of friend invite requests. I have played games in the past where Asian IPs were not able to access any but the Asian servers. Although I am sure it is not only Asians doing this it may also be a way to slow it down at least. by the way I do report them each and every time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]