Diablo® III

The Immortal Words of Old School (Itemization)

02/25/2013 04:38 PMPosted by MisterAjikko
Good post. But, sadly, this is one of those threads that Blizzard tends to "listen to silently" without replying.

I honestly don't think they are prepared to comment on itemization. They need to address it right for this game to survive and I sadly don't think we will see anything huge until the patch. With that said, I hope this continues to spring up so it gets passed to the devs.

02/25/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Dbfanatic
I don't think the OP knows that D2's Itemization is exactly the same.

Not sure what your talking about.. lol

This thread is amazing. If it has not been read yet, I really hope it is soon.

I don't even know how to compliment you correctly in typed words...

Thanks for the feedback Drothvader. You have some good posts too my friend.
Reply Quote
I like the idea, but this also sounds like another buff for players. Diablo 3 seems to keep buffing players and/or nerfing monsters which is creating a trend that the game is simply getting too easy to play. If they implement these player buffs, I would like them to also implement monster buffs.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 05:24 PMPosted by CrystalisX
I like the idea, but this also sounds like another buff for players. Diablo 3 seems to keep buffing players and/or nerfing monsters which is creating a trend that the game is simply getting too easy to play. If they implement these player buffs, I would like them to also implement monster buffs.

It's about buffing the GAME itself to make it more interesting, more fun to play and overall better. Nothing to do with buffing the players.

Think you need to do a re-read. You owe it to yourself.
Reply Quote

It's about buffing the GAME itself to make it more interesting, more fun to play and overall better. Nothing to do with buffing the players.

Think you need to do a re-read. You owe it to yourself.

I agree. Nobody likes an easy ride and that's what monster power is for. Unless you are flying through monster power 10 this should no longer be an issue. Diablo is all about creating an awesome customized and personalized character that is fun to play. Difficulty is completely separate.

You can only stack a limited number of affixes per item. If you decided to stack affixes that buff a particular skill or build, and sacrifice crit or attack speed in order to do so, you should be rewarded for that.

Edit: ...and by rewarded i mean with a character that is able to simply compete. If you make a gearing decision like this currently, your character is at the bottom of the imaginary ranks. lol
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 2/25/2013 8:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Logged in to give a bump.

Also, maybe the could reintroduce some affix like cast speed...

And yeah bloc chance need some love. As a max bloc/bliz sorc this made me sad.

Nice OP
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 09:59 PMPosted by StormKrad
Logged in to give a bump.

I really appreciate that!
Reply Quote
The OP in this thread should be the basis of the next Q&A...everyone should just cut and paste portions and vote these points up so the devs HAVE to respond to it
Reply Quote
The OP in this thread should be the basis of the next Q&A...everyone should just cut and paste portions and vote these points up so the devs HAVE to respond to it

That seems like a really great idea. I would only need a few volunteers to get the some of the major points across.

Part 1 – (Linking Worthless Stats)
Part 2 – (Promoting Limited Stats)
Part 3 – (Expanding Main Stats)

I would want to wait to see their specific directions before we go into more detail.
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 2/27/2013 4:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Get points across?
Its a Q&A.
Its not a brainstorm session and its not a feedback session. We ask why itemization is the way it is. We ask what the future holds for itemization and maybe they answer in our favor. The devs already have a plan for this game believe it or not.

Then why are they having the Q & A session?

There are always points to be made when asking a question. You have to use deductive reasoning. That is, unless you are a young child who doesn’t know any better.

Believe it or not, this post is actually about the games current itemization. I am not trying to “reinvent the wheel” and be a “wana be” developer. This post highlights itemization aspects directly from what the current game offers and emphasizes them.

I would be curious to know why they stopped at where they did and how they plan to move forward in specific areas that this thread highlights. I think these topics make pretty good candidates for questions.

There is no need to try and make the Q&A complicated because its not. Expect to keep updating your thread here and expect to spam/bump it until it reaches 26 pages in which case you will need to start a new one. :)

Ive slowed down on my bumps but spamming was never my intent. A lot of people who have read and liked this topic would have never seen it if I posted this once and never came back. I will continue to post here and when it reaches its max I may even repost it. :)
Reply Quote
What exactly is the sticky supposed to do again? It's been requested for weeks now, and yet nothing happens. These forums are very, very disfunctional imo.
Reply Quote
They can't implement this because of the RMAH. To do anything more than fiddle pointlessly with item rolls will decimate peoples Bnet balances. Another reason why RMAH is a massive effing mistake.
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 02:42 PMPosted by tommos
They can't implement this because of the RMAH. To do anything more than fiddle pointlessly with item rolls will decimate peoples Bnet balances. Another reason why RMAH is a massive effing mistake.

It would actually be good for the auction house.... Here are my thoughts:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7923873596
Reply Quote
Game Designer
This is a great and constructive thread which brings up both a lot of good ideas and valid points. Items is a topic of conversation on a daily basis, we talk about where they are currently, where we want them to be, and how to get them there. Some of the future changes involve making item affixes that aren’t currently good into something that at least some players are really excited to see. A good example of this is Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors. Sure not everyone wants a lot of Pickup Radius on their gear but there are some specs of WD that love it and want as much as possible and we want to expand that idea further. Thorns is a good example of a stat that, at its core has potential, but in reality falls short. While we plan to improve thorns by allowing a players primary stat to increase its damage, we have other plans that help further embrace thorns for specific classes and specs.

Increasing the availability of skill specific affixes and school damage affixes is also something we plan on doing. They have the potential to open up more fun and varied character builds as well as simply giving players another way to improve abilities they enjoy. An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.
Edited by Travis Day on 2/27/2013 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks Travis for stopping by. It is great to see how much thought you guys are putting into this. I think that one thing that could help in the short term, but won't fix the entire itemization game, is tightening up the variance of rolls. Many legendaries set stats already have that. They can roll 8-10% CC instead of like a normal iLvl 63 item with a range that is quite a bit larger. An area where the problem is more apparent is on weapon damage rolls. 300 dps iLvl 61-63s should not happen.
Edited by Empty1#1980 on 2/27/2013 6:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is a great and constructive thread which brings up both a lot of good ideas and valid points. Items is a topic of conversation on a daily basis, we talk about where they are currently, where we want them to be, and how to get them there. Some of the future changes involve making item affixes that aren’t currently good into something that at least some players are really excited to see. A good example of this is Pickup Radius and Witch Doctors. Sure not everyone wants a lot of Pickup Radius on their gear but there are some specs of WD that love it and want as much as possible and we want to expand that idea further. Thorns is a good example of a stat that, at its core has potential, but in reality falls short. While we plan to improve thorns by allowing a players primary stat to increase its damage, we have other plans that help further embrace thorns for specific classes and specs.

Increasing the availability of skill specific affixes and school damage affixes is also something we plan on doing. They have the potential to open up more fun and varied character builds as well as simply giving players another way to improve abilities they enjoy. An example that has worked previously is Zombie Dogs and Sacrifice using Zombie Dog cooldown items, Wall of Zombies cooldown items with Pile On, and Hammer of Ancients with cost reduction items. We like that these builds exist and want to open up even more builds by virtue of expanding the availability of these affixes.

We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

well i hope you are reading this thread then.

good to see some of the points you plan on making might happen and hopefully soon. It gives me a drive to continue after 1000 hours.

Thats a goal to work to im sure.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7980249170
Edited by Bertross#6933 on 2/27/2013 6:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

!@#$ yeah!! a blue posted in THE post of posts!!

thx a lot
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Travis Day

Having been reading the forum every day since launch day, I want to tell you, Travis, that this is BY FAR the best post by a Blizzard employee to date. Thank you for taking the time to finally respond to us.

Now, I have hope where I previously had none.

From this point on, I will wait & shut the hell up... Which I'm certain some others might enjoy also :D
Reply Quote

I tried Pile On... but it ended up disappointing me. The knock-back is kind of annoying. For a cooldown spell, I can understand why there's a knock-back... but once you reach 0 second cooldown, the knock-back makes the spell hard to spam on mobs that are pushed away. The animation is kind of painful too, once you combine it with the knock-back.

I'm happy that you are considering to make more game changing items though :) I feel that some items should completely modify the spell (maybe change arcane orb to frozen orb for instance! That would throw a cookie to Sorc players!).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]