Diablo® III

The Immortal Words of Old School (Itemization)

02/27/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Sÿlak
We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

Very nice! Thank you for your time!

Wow this post is awesome--I only hope we don't have to wait too long to see the products of this labor. This would definitely bring my friends who quit back.
Reply Quote
You put way more time, thought, and effort into your post regarding the item system than Blizzard did over several years at designing the item system.
Reply Quote
Great to hear from an actual Dev on plans to work on itemization! So much communication going on these days with both CM's and a Dev..I guess Rob Pardo guy in charge wasn't just PR-ing us, I'm impressed, but since we've waited so long and have got such little scraps in the itemization department I'll have to leave it at the harsh: "I'll believe it when I see it".
Reply Quote
Yes, please.
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Travis Day
We want items to make you feel more powerful but more importantly we want players to feel like items can be game changers. We want players to find items and think to themselves “whoa I wanna try making a spec for this item” or “oh man I’m totally gonna level a Monk to use this thing”. Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

I wanted to say a huge thank you for this post. This on its own is better than just about every blue post in the last 3 months combined. It's so good to see a blue actually acknowledging the issues that people have been bringing up for months - who knows, there may be hope for this game yet!
Reply Quote

This this this this this this this this this this this this this this. This.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Improving the overall feel of the Diablo item game is something that is incredibly important to us and is receiving a lot of attention from our development team because it's important to you all as well.

I look forward to seeing those changes.

However, you're still going to have the "Trifecta Problem" with absolutely needing Crit, Crit Damage, and IAS to be on everything.

Not to mention it's still going to be mandatory for weapons to have + Damage on them and a socket to be worthwhile.

If you can fix those two core issues, you might be golden.
MVP FAQ: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4038704716#2
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 10:41 PMPosted by Drothvader
However, you're still going to have the "Trifecta Problem" with absolutely needing Crit, Crit Damage, and IAS to be on everything.

Sortof but not exactly. Some of your gear could have Crushing Blow, Amplify Damage, Decrepify.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile

Sortof but not exactly. Some of your gear could have Crushing Blow, Amplify Damage, Decrepify.

The only way I can see it solving it is if the item can only roll one or the other and each held equal stat weight.

Then it would be a choice rather than a mandate.

IMO, items should have never been allowed to roll Crit, Crit Damage, and IAS on the same item. It should have been one or the other, and it's up to the player to balance them.

Itemization is bad because there's no balance and so therefore any item that doesn't have all 3 of these qualities (Or any combination of whatever they can actually roll) has no intrinsic value.

In other words, unless you have to choose between one or the other, items will still be "bad."

Otherwise, the new norm becomes mandating that an item have Crushing Blow, Crit, Crit Damage, and IAS. Thus making it the "Quadfecta problem" (Or something along those lines)
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 2/27/2013 11:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Then it would be a choice rather than a mandate.IMO, items should have never been allowed to roll Crit, Crit Damage, and IAS on the same item. It should have been one or the other, and it's up to the player to balance them.

RIGHT. It can work though, in one of 2 ways.

Either make rolls not so RNG RNG RNG and instead have: FIXED, RNG RNG and if fixed is IAS then RNG cannot be crit, and RNG cannot be Crit Dmg.

OR

Have a lot more TYPES of damage affixes so that it is EXCEEDING rare roll that would get that particular trifecta and still have the RNG RNG RNG.

My opinion the affixes should be split into prefix suffix.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
02/27/2013 11:12 PMPosted by sheltem
Either make rolls not so RNG RNG RNG and instead have: FIXED, RNG RNG and if fixed is IAS then RNG cannot be crit, and RNG cannot be Crit Dmg.

This would work.

Have a lot more TYPES of damage affixes so that it is EXCEEDING rare roll that would get that particular trifecta and still have the RNG RNG RNG.

This would just create the same issue again altogether. =(

My opinion the affixes should be split into prefix suffix.

Agreed. This would take away a lot of the randomness to loot and make way for a more balanced system.

One where perhaps item level meant something more than just roll potential.
Reply Quote
Yes and lets go even farther.

Pentaflecta, Hexafletca, heptaflecta!

oops heptaflecta(7) wont work because you cant have 7 affixes. PROBLEM SOLVED!
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Yes and lets go even farther.

Pentaflecta, Hexafletca, heptaflecta!

oops heptaflecta(7) wont work because you cant have 7 affixes. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Yes, then you're stuck at Hexafecta and you've made everything else (Even the current Trifectas) worthless.

It just masks the old issue with a completely new issue.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]