Diablo® III

The Immortal Words of Old School (Itemization)

11/10/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Graximus
Not a single person on these forums is going to read all that. If you feel the need to rant, at least keep it short.

Well, I did read all of the OP's comments, because I care about this game which I have waited for more then 10 years to come out.

That being said, I do agree with the expanding of the main stats, as well as varies other ideas that the op has posted.

So, here's a big plus one.
Reply Quote
"TASTES SO GOOD WHEN IT HITS YOUR LIPS!"

That's my favorite quote from Old School. That's what this topic is about, right?
Reply Quote
Bump for grammatical and eye-pleasing JUSTICE
Reply Quote
Well written, OP. excellent ideas! Bump for agreement
Reply Quote
Great ideas topic creator.

I think with the added usefulness of each attribute, 6 properties per item only may really force people think about how to balance their equipment to take advantage of as much as they can.

Maybe introduce rares to have 7 or 8 properties, then add mp 11 and mp12 to allow for more challenge.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'd take issue with one of the first things you said: we have customization in skills and runes. If you insist on using some cookie-cutter build because in your opinion the game is about farming rather than fun, suit yourself. There are many many many viable builds to play with. More interesting stats would be great, but saying that '100% of our customization comes from items' is flat-out wrong.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Nimun
I'd take issue with one of the first things you said: we have customization in skills and runes. If you insist on using some cookie-cutter build because in your opinion the game is about farming rather than fun, suit yourself. There are many many many viable builds to play with. More interesting stats would be great, but saying that '100% of our customization comes from items' is flat-out wrong.

We all have different preferences when it comes to customization. That's great if you feel customized based on your choice in skills and runes. In my opinion, customization has always been about the items. Its really easy for anyone to right click your name and see what build you are using and switch to it in a matter of seconds. At that point I would no longer feel customized. I would feel either superior or inferior based on who has more optimal item stats.

I never said anything about having to use cookie-cutter builds or this game being about farming and not fun. I think its fun to theorycraft and put thought into my character. I think its fun to continue customization after I have decided on a particular build. Try not stacking any of the optimal item stats and tell me how viable those builds are you described.
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 11/15/2012 5:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Great post, great points.
Reply Quote
Read every word and agree so emphatically that I did log in just to "like" and post.

In a game that is based solely around items, having items that promote niche builds is key. A rework of itemization is necessary (I suspect it will be done in the expansion) to bring that about.

My favorite example is fragment of destiny--the wand meant to be a melee wizard item. However, due to the existence of optimal stats, it is purely trash because of low weapon damage and lack of a socket. My biggest problem is the mere EXISTENCE of a "best-in-slot" item *pukes*. It kills me that EVERY single demon hunter I play with in public games is using manticore.
Reply Quote
+1. Good points even though they are conventional ideas.

I think the game developers are should be well aware of the problems of the game during its conception. The question is "Why do they continue to ignore them?"

If anything this "game" is designed to beta test the RMAH environment(for future games?) and nothing else. What better way than creating an environment that items are designed to dictate everything and Blizzard has full control over its distribution.
Reply Quote
Great post.

Which is why Blizzard will ignore it.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Good ideas, I really don't think you need to bump your own thread though. Just sayin.
If people actually read the whole thing, it's pretty well done. I definitely agree that certain skills should link to pick up radius- like some of the w dr passives do.

I currently (student) intern at a game design studio; These ideas would not be difficult to implement in a patch at all. A company on the scale of Blizzard should have NO problems pulling something like this off.
Reply Quote
disagree, a lot of the issues you speak of are actually great boons in hardcore. for example, shields and HoC/JL. highly prized and widely used.

i find this game has more to it than most, for example most games have health and defense. i like the addition of elemental resistances being worthwhile (like in shin megami tensei titles :)). the ability to increase attack speed and critical hit chance i dont find often in games (aside from skills like haste or twin attack). even thorns and pickup radius make for a pretty crazy witch doctor build with your pets dealing significant dps through torns etc. health globes work well for barbs who increase the amount they heal and the occurance at which they appear. perhaps not the most ideal mp10 wrecking classes, but they can beat mp0 and be fun to use.
my friend beat the game with all classes, sure we both had our optimal amazing classes, but we also made a few guys just for fun. i made a mediocre CM wiz cause it looked fun. he had a thorns WD, a demon hunter completely different from mine and even a decent 2-handed WW barb XD.

i am also a very passionate player, ive beat hardcore and softcore, and i still play :). i know it has flaws but i disagree with the general theme of this thread. it almost suggests a completely different game. there are surely optimal builds; as there are with any game, but with recent patches it is actually viable to use fun builds as well :).
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 11/16/2012 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Graximus
Not a single person on these forums is going to read all that. If you feel the need to rant, at least keep it short.

I read it all and thought it was well written and constructive. More posts like this should be in the forums.

Give it a shot, you might learn how to make a constructive post.
Reply Quote
You should be on the design team. Type this out on a resume and send it to them quick before someone else does!

+1
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/10/2012 12:47 AMPosted by OldSchool
It becomes a game where anyone, can switch to any build, at any time, and be better, based on this narrow itemization focus and zero commitment.

I love how people think this is a bad thing.

lol

You also called pickup radius and extra health from globes bad, so perhaps you should do some homework about how the game actually functions before you say that it is bad.

You have some really good ideas that people have been talking about for a while, but I think your premise is inherently flawed.
Edited by Swampdonkey#1153 on 11/16/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
This post really deserves some attention. Some really nice ideas going on here.

The points regarding items synergizing fun and creative builds in particular sounds really good. Kinda brings back memories of that funny bear sorc back in D2. It sucks to see everyone decked out in the same gear, although you can still see some creative builds if you are lucky.
Reply Quote
+1.

A very well thought out post.

Especially liked the part about improving stats that are currently unpopular (e.g pick up radius, thorns, etc.)

Keep it up!
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 12:47 AMPosted by OldSchool
To prove it, the best man’s speech at my wedding began by telling hundreds of people that I really like Diablo…

I tried to get my wife to have everyone say 'Ral-Ort-Tal' together in our wedding ceremony just before I kissed the bride, and she just sighed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]