Diablo® III

There's something wrong with Lust

I don't get Cydaea...at all.

Lylirra's new poll got me thinking about the Evils' characters, and I noticed some stark similarities between Andariel and Cydaea, even though the latter is not even one of the great Evils. She is the Lord of Sin's consort and most favored lieutenant. She's the Maiden of Lust right? But she just reminds me too much of Andariel.

To begin, allow me to list the things I know about Cydaea. We first meet the -ugh- charming seductress in the first level of the Arreat Crater. Now, we don't know she's the Maiden of Lust yet, since she doesn't formally introduce herself until the Nephalem reach the first Sin Heart, but we get some information about her when we read Orders from Azmodan, Part 6, and later from Cain's journal. From her first appearance to the end of the actual boss fight, Cydaea does nothing but tease the heroes, which plays right into her character. We also get to meet her 'daughters', appropriately called Succubi. They spend their free time capturing human prisoners for their own -uh- personal interests. They also have a ranged attack that, when it hits, causes a Blood Star debuff (slashes Barbarian/Monk armor in half and causes ranged classes to receive damage for every resource point spent). Cydaea herself possess a variety of attacks, most notably spawning Spiderlings. She also resembles a beautiful woman on the top half, and a huge spider on the lower half.

Now that I've listed the facts, I will now get to my point: SPIDERS ARE NOT SEXY!!!

She is the Maiden of Lust, and yet she looks like that! I don't know anybody who has a sexual fetish for spiders, and if I did, I wouldn't know them for long. She reminds me of Andariel because of the way she tortured those Flay Demons. Andariel is the Maiden of Anguish, and I thought torturing the mind was her thing? She is also way sexier than Cydaea, which we all know. When I finally defeated Cydaea, I was incredibly disappointed. When I heard Maiden of Lust, I immediately pictured - okay, not important, but you get my point.

When confronted with Lust (the deadly sin itself), we experience temptation and the desire to submit to it. With Cydaea, I felt neither (although the voice acting almost did it). How is the hero - let alone Lyndon for Akarat's sake - immediately able to resist her charms? Shouldn't there be special banter between the Maiden and the hero where it shows that the hero falling under her spell but breaking free in the end, until he finally recognizes her as an evil and vanquishes her? If that's the case with the heroes, what about the heroines? No lesbians in D3? Seduction works on anyone. With the female demon hunter, for example, Cydaea may have tried to work on wearing away at her mental armor: playing on her lack of love and affection as she lost her family, especially her sister, and trying to get her to open up. In the D3 short story for the demon hunter, Josen showed no emotion until the end, and that was when nobody was looking. Couldn't the Succubi work on that? As with any great seduction, they first work on mind before working on the body. The Succubi and their Mistress could have possessed a Charm spell, like Eirena's, or a Stun spell (with little hearts blossoming over the hero's head) to further emphasize their devilishly seductive aspects.

Seduction is, in itself, torture, but of a sweeter kind - like poisoned honey, if you will. Just leave it to Andariel for the whole 'your-mind-will-shatter-like-glass-when-I'm-done-with-you' thing.

(If you haven't seen it yet, you can read all about the poll here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7864428/Poll_Whos_the_Greatest_%E2%80%9CGreat_Evil%E2%80%9D-11_13_2012)

Oh, and one more thing: "Your screams of ANGUISH will sound so sweet!"
Reply Quote
Originally Cydaea was meant to represent anguish but they changed her to lust. That's why she seems so similar to Andarial.
Reply Quote
They could speculate that Cydaea is Andariel's daughter or something like that...
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 06:16 AMPosted by uanime5
Originally Cydaea was meant to represent anguish but they changed her to lust. That's why she seems so similar to Andarial.

Yes, chalk it up to laziness, lack of originality, and general apathy towards the product on the part of Blizz's story staff.
Reply Quote
Looking at the demonic designs for diablo 3, I don't think any 'evil' is allowed to actually be attractive to humans. They have certain traits, but their whole point is to essentially be a bait and trap.

In the case of "Lust" thats a title she is given by the Lord of "Sin" as a reference to the human notion of "7 deadly sins" Her assumption of that title is because she is a lieutenant and consort to Azmodan. And while her spider-like half isn't all the accommodating to humans, it's probably functionally meant for Azmodan. If anything, its more like azmodan is the aspect of 'pride' though as he seems more full of himself than anything else.
Reply Quote
I agree that her doesn't fit her role in different way. Most of her dialogue is about tortured and pain and they don't relate to the aspect of lust. The dialogue has to change. They don't make her what she is.
Reply Quote
Although this is quite the necro, I don't get why so little response. THis is a great point made by the OP. Too bad he wasn't doing the story...sigh
Reply Quote
Uncontrolled lust is a sin. Sex with someone that you don't love and that you're not in a monogamous relationship with is a sin. Of course, sex is inherently lustful, but pure lust that is devoid of love wrong (aside from private sexual fantasies).

Another example is greed. Some greed is both OK and necessary to motivate people to accomplish things in life. A society would be totally unproductive if all it's members were devoid of all greed. Greed taken to an extreme is wrong, however, since it motivates people to exploit and mistreat others. Excessive greed can also lead to war and violence, as well as the neglecting of other more important things in life.
Reply Quote
06/05/2013 03:38 PMPosted by FrozenFruit
I agree that her doesn't fit her role in different way. Most of her dialogue is about tortured and pain and they don't relate to the aspect of lust. The dialogue has to change. They don't make her what she is.

I wanted to lustfully make love to her voice, she was done very well.

She was not there to divert us with Lust, she was there to kill us, as we rush in the depths of the crater.

Azmodan was scared probably at that point and thought that maybe she could get us.
Reply Quote

Does not fit? Does not relate?

YOU FOOLISH FOOLS! Pain and Pleasure blur in the burning Hells.

Pain to some, Pleasure to others.

Frank: I thought I'd gone to the limits. I hadn't. The Cenobites gave me an experience beyond limits... pain and pleasure, indivisible.

In truth, there is no difference -when fully stretched on a rack one reaches the "outer limits" of physical sensation and it is likened to not being able to tell the difference between the most extreme heat and the most bitter cold. But the Hells offer much more than can be experienced in the mortal realm.....

ALSO if you've never seen it.

Watch Clive Barker's Hellraiser again. WATCH it....Do it.

Kirsty : Who are you?
Pinhead: Explorers... in the further regions of experience. Demons to some, angels to others.
Kirsty : It was a mistake! I didn't... I didn't mean to open it! It was a mistake! GO TO HELL!
Female Cenobite: We can't. Not alone.
Pinhead: You solved the box, we came. Now you must come with us, taste our pleasures.
Kristy: Please! Go away and leave me alone!
Pinhead: Oh, no tears please. It's a waste of good suffering!

Pinhead: Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.
Joey: I don't believe you....
Pinhead: Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume. To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart.

Pinhead: Human dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. You're so ripe Joey, and it's harvest time.
Joey: But this isn't fair! You can't!
Pinhead: Save your tears. I'll reap your sorrow slowly. I have centuries to discover the things that make you whimper.
Joey: You bastard! You invaded my mind!
Pinhead: You think your nighttime world is closed to me? Your mind is so naked. A book that yearns to be read. A door that begs to be opened.

Cydaea and her daughters are extraordinary Sadists. (Historical note: Marquis de Sade) The suffering and humiliation of man gives them sexual satisfaction. This lust cannot be sated.

However they are also great Masochists. (Historical note: Leopold von Sacher Masoch). They enjoy pain, even their own. They will not shy away as your barrel through their ranks, cutting down the horde and they will never yield or surrender -only grow more frenzied, and lustful to get their hands on you.

And he says it does not fit....

BY SLAANESH! Do you not know her Embrace? Have you not heard of the Dark Pleasure Lord?

She is a spiteful and cruel lover however, both obsessive and demanding- the VERY incarnation of destructive, selfish lust, every fetish and deviant behavior, every abuse of trust, and all emotional blackmail. His driving motivation is to indulge herself as much as possible. He takes joy in pain as mortals might a kiss. Even when wounded her moans of pain and cries of pleasure are indistinguishable. There is no torture in which he cannot find titillation, no suffering she cannot savor, and no act too cruel to for him contemplate.

Yes....Cydaea too is the embodiment of Lust....

Yes, chalk it up to laziness, lack of originality, and general apathy towards the product on the part of Blizz's story staff.

LIES!

Blizzard was going to remove the character ALTOGETHER. Buuut-then somebody did an AMAZING COSPLAY from the concept art and they put it back in.
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 6/12/2013 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just because shes the aspect of lust dosent mean she has to be attractive. Lust is a sin; and all sins taken to their fullest extent are never a pretty thing. That being said i thing she looks fine.

However her introduction and her plot execution were very weak; I think they could have made her character and delivery a lot darker
Reply Quote
93 Undead Priest
11/14/2012 01:47 AMPosted by DeviousDummy
She is the Maiden of Lust, and yet she looks like that!

I think blizz decided to merge her with a spider because spiders are graceful,their webs elegant and they lure their prey into their webs were they slowly eat them,you could almost say they toy with them,much like lust and the lovely aspect of lust.

She reminds me of Andariel because of the way she tortured those Flay Demons.

I think the torture was not one of anguish i think it was one of,o must I say it, kinkiness.a very dark and painful form of love which fits her.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Priest
How is the hero - let alone Lyndon for Akarat's sake - immediately able to resist her charms?

The Templar- being brought up in the order probably had his sexual feelings suppressed
Monk-a religious man who probably gave up that sort of enjoyment long ago
Demon Hunter-hates demons completely so it does not matter how seductive she is,shes a demon so he/she hates hr spidery guts
Barbarian-no excuse there
Enchantress-let's just say she is straight or perhaps her mastery of illusion allows her to withstand the magic
Witch Doctor-looking at the witch doctor short story, it shows how he was tricked by a demon posing as an attractive female before so maybe he is already used to this sort of thing,and thus able to resist.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]