Diablo® III

Fire Witch Doctor, REVISTED

Hi guys I am currently looking at re-building my fire witch doctor as I am trying to play at higher MP levels and bears are getting me to close for comfort.

My main and hopefully only damage spell would be dire bats. I am confident I can get it to spam-able with minor changes in gear and passives(IE mana reduc and mana regen).

I am wondering what people think would go well with this build? Fire tal-Rasha ammy?

I have zuni boots but they are poison and would possibly ditch zuni all together for this build.

Thoughts? Comments?
Reply Quote
make some research about +% [elemental] dmg. You don't need to deal poison damage in order to get bonus from the +% poison dmg of boot. The only thing that matter is : is your weap using elemental damage or not (higher dps if not since the full dmg benefit from the bonus).
Reply Quote
I think a lot of gold goes well with this build, since your repairs will be high and your income low...
Reply Quote
I believe it is possible to play it in lower MP levels than 8 with a reduced cost, but this need to be checked.
Reply Quote
I did this for a while. I could do up to MP3, but after that it was pretty difficult. That said, I had fairly cheap gear.

I used Tal rasha for the fire bonus, a Maximus weapon, stone of jordan (with corpse spider damage), mara's (with corspe spider).

For the build I used the Blazing spiders, this did huge damage with all the gear. I also used dire bats, fire dogs, gargantuan, and fire locust swarm. It was a lot of fun having the garg, dogs and maximus demon out at the same time. I could clear the low MP levels like nothing, but it's not going to be the most powerful build. Fun > power in my opinion though....
Reply Quote
Fun > power in my opinion though....

Agree on that.

I believe we do what we can with what we have, so I was able to test some gears and skills to have the performance I was looking for, and I am happy for that. To be able to share it is also good, I think.

What I mean is that the game is plenty of options to be exploited, also this is fun, to create your own build, test it, improve it, change it, and so on.

but it's not going to be the most powerful build

This was not its intention. Just to have fun.

stone of jordan (with corpse spider damage), mara's (with corspe spider).

For Mara´s, I would say there are other amulets that will increase your dmg. Once I found one for an affordable price in AH, but looking well.

About Stone of Jordan, I was looking one I got and I also found better rings.

What I mean is that the better your gears, and build, and the way you play with them, the higher the MP level you reach. Something like this. But if you plan to get better gears, or you play a lot, or you buy one, or perhaps someone gives one to you. I don´t know. It´s just a game...
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/6/2013 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have also been experimenting with this. I find that dire bats do not put out enough damage to be usable on higher mp. Also (as I explained in one of the comments) Dire Bats + Act II Key warden = Hilarious one shot death.

Here is a quick guide I recently wrote. It should be noted that I have changed out Cloud of Bats with Vampire bats, which seems to work ok. CoB's is more damage, but the limited ranged is kind of annoying.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593579285#3
Reply Quote
i have actually been building a fire doctor for a while now... just waiting for the perfect roll on a burning axe of sanikis or however you spell that item.

i like running dire bats for the range,

i use flash fire because when mobs dont wanna clump up this attack targets for you the last 5 atks and its uber usefull for fighting around corners.

fire dogs why? you guessed it ... fire.

the rest is really all a matter of play style, but i like spirit walk-healing , garg-restless giant, and big bad voodoo-slam dance for that awesome bye bye elites effect.

but ya.... i might switch out of the build... only cuz i feel like ill never really get my perfect roll burning axe. we shall see.

p.s. didnt wanna write out all the equips... but you can always just click on the veiw profile link under my name. take a look tho.. i do 100k dps no crit (i dont like crit for some reason)
Edited by LxstDUB#1750 on 1/6/2013 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have also been experimenting with this. I find that dire bats do not put out enough damage to be usable on higher mp. Also (as I explained in one of the comments) Dire Bats + Act II Key warden = Hilarious one shot death.

Interesting. I would try it with infinite rain of frogs (optional building) to see what happens. Also would try it with a Sankis Axe (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis) with high fire dmg and socketed, to increase firebats dmg.

i do 100k dps no crit (i dont like crit for some reason)

To gain life build works better with higher criticals specially if you use a Echoing Fury with life stealing what helps more than Sankis to get life. What happens is that I noticed a higher dmg with a Sankis with a socket and with high fire bonuses.

fire dogs why? you guessed it ... fire.

Nice idea !

big bad voodoo-slam dance for that awesome bye bye elites effect.

Interesting choice !
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/7/2013 3:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Interesting. I would try it with infinite rain of frogs (optional building) to see what happens. Also would try it with a Sankis Axe (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis) with high fire dmg and socketed, to increase firebats dmg.

I would also suggest build "Pyrogeist as a mana source", more damage and seemingly adds to LoH, but it would need to be tested.
Edited by B4n1sH3r#1263 on 1/12/2013 7:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
I'm trying Blazing Spiders in an Acid Cloud build since I get 14% to Spiders on mojo. Not sure if it is worth the extra DPS to give up Leaping Spiders as all I have is base increase+Tal Rasha. Those little fellas run pretty fast though. Playing around with defensive build of poison dogs, poison garg, walk, SH, spiders, AC with fort,BM,SV. Pets are dying less now. AC hits hard but has crazy utility for when you get trapped you are invulnerable until you go OOM because of the ridiculous LOH you get from it. Tried the rest stuck with the best.
Edited by Anodyne#1564 on 1/22/2013 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
There's a locust swarm rune with fire damage too. I'm mostly a firebomb WD

I think Zuni chest + Boots + Ring + Mempo + Vile Ward is a great combo of int and survivability, possibly life for higher MP. If you get a good (aka semi-perfect) string of skulls you can have the 4-piece benefit, that can be useful with your fire skill.

If you're not into AS, you could test Tal ammy + helm, since zuni helm is kinda fail, due to having only 1 random mod (I have 2 - one with MF and another with CC and I kinda use the life& mod)...

I'm making peace with firebomb/ghost bomb recently. What I'm doing is stacking AS (I'm not advicing people on doing so, nor claiming it works - and I think it doesn't - I just wanted to test it and see what happens).

Here is my (lack of) logic: since I won't 1 hit kill stuff with firebombs (stuff ends up with 30% life or something), I just move MP up (stuff will still die in 2 hits) and add some IAS to throw more firebombs. I'm saving some gold to buy an ok zuni, but I'm not sure if I go for crit chance or AS.

I use Pierce the Veil + Firebomb, since they almost don't cost mana and you kinda use the damage buff when you aren't using 0 dogs or bears. (Using a mana intensive skill, pierce the vail is potential garbage vs. elites, since it means less casting).

As for weapons and black damage: If you find a good black damage weapon with big minimum damage, ls, crit and/or socket, it's BIS. However, if you can afford only a semi-decent black damage weapon, you can do better with "rainbow damage".

Ex.: 1000 DPS elemental spear x 1000 DPS black spear. For the price of semi-decent black spear (low int, low or no crit, ls and socket) you can get some serious rare with high int, crit, ls and socket. The extra int and/or crit kinda makes up for the loss of the % elemental damage loss.

I'm using a Manajuma's carving knife, horrible, but not because the poison damage, but because the low min damage, with translates in under 100k crits. However, it has 94% crit chance, over 300 int and life leech - it helps survivability and EHP. That, plus the fact I don't have emeralds make it an ok choice for the moment.

Also, manajuma's helps my project of having a more APS and seeing firebomb build not working, but being fun.

I'm slowly making adjustments to farm MP2-3 on the future patch, for extra XP. EHP seems to be OK, but I would like some more damage, via crit chance on zuni ring and/or more int.
Reply Quote
I use a fire build except for grasp. pyrogeist, searing locusts, burning dogs and umbral shock. I only play on low mp though(2-3), nice relaxing build where you don't have to do anything except renew dots. if I wanted I could swap grasp for bats but I don't want to so.

also all you people have the wrong idea about this fire damage stuff. it isn't 5% more on fire damage skills, it's +5% fire damage to your weapon. the only fire skills item I can think of is maximus.
Edited by Jars#1772 on 1/22/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Fire skills bonus:
Tal Rasha's Set (2, for 3%)
Maximus (up to 25%)
Burning axe of Sankis (up to 25%)
Magefist (up to 20%)
Reply Quote
My Fire doctor destroys.
Reply Quote
@battletag did u mean u got destroy? Lol... Ur hp is way too low..just kidding, no hard feeling pls ;D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]