Diablo® III

DPS Meter Observations - Blazing Spiders

So I gave this guy's DPS meter a try (awesome by the way), set the monster power to 10, then wailed on some Act 1 zombies to compare all the skills. Some observations below.

Disclaimer: It's possible that the damage meter results are skewed by hypothetical bugs, but it's such a simple concept that I doubt it.

Link to the DPS meter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nOLkWKsocR0

Blazing Spiders - USE THESE. At 93k unbuffed DPS, I was doing 250k - 300k damage on average (hitting a peak of 350k), well above their stated damage. For single-target damage these are a great choice.
Leaping Spiders - Also good, but not nearly as good as Blazing.
Well of Souls - Also a good choice, does about 40% more damage than Blazing.* It's not as easy to use though, it uses a lot more mana, and you can't pair it with Manitou for obvious reasons.
Plague Bats - These are just bad. They do less than their stated damage.
Cloud of Bats - This is surprisingly good. It hits packs really hard, but its range really hinders it.
Flaming Darts - If I recall correctly these were not doing as much damage as Splinters, for whatever reason.
Splinters - These did about 200k damage, which sounds reasonable.
Rain of Toads - These did about the same damage as Splinters, which confirms my suspicion that its 1.5x attack speed bonus is legit and does not have reduced damage.
Pyrogeist - Horrible when spammed. Good for damage stacking, I guess.**

*Edited to reflect further WoS testing.
**Edited to be nicer to Pyrogeist
Edited by Jasonator#1483 on 11/5/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
interesting. I was just starting to build a "corpse-spider" build... need a few more pieces. This looks like good news, but just doesn't sound right... blazing spiders being better than WoS?

Did you try Acid Rain (probably better with huge group of mobs), zombie bears and dire bats?
Edited by Wootytooty#1203 on 11/3/2012 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
hey looks awesome will definitely use something like this for testing pvp skills.

is it safe to use this particular program... like has it been checked for trojans, keyloggers exc. and also is it safe to use under blizz tos or is it bannable?

also how does it calculate aoe damage?
Reply Quote
Acid Rain with Vengeful Spirit is beyond insane at high CC/CD levels. I SW with Jaunt into a mob, cast VS, then 1 or 2 Acid Rain and everything is dead. I use the bears for elites, bosses, keywardens ect..

Right now my VS crits 400k-600k, my acid rain 220k-400k, and my bears can go over 1 million sometimes.

Reflect damage? Rain of Toads with any life on hit owns. All I have is Life on Hit from my Blackthorn pants and can spam endlessly. Then SW, VS, Acid Rain until SW ends, then back to Toads.

I farm MP6 so fast its crazy. Not to mention 40 yard pickup radius, with my passives its complete monster domination.

Side note: Life after kill is very underused when you figure trash mobs are dying so fast. With my Life Regen, Life after Kill, LoH from Blackthorn, and health globe pickup, is pretty amazing. I have NO life steal and very little LoH and have zero issues.
Reply Quote
did you get those figures with this tool, DarthSki? or just from the numbers popping up onto your screen?
Reply Quote
did you get those figures with this tool, DarthSki? or just from the numbers popping up onto your screen?

Didn't plug in, just from watching my damage in game.
Reply Quote
I did test on siegebreaker
100k dps Zombie bear peak on 1.3mil
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 11:07 AMPosted by DarthSki44

Didn't plug in, just from watching my damage in game.

then this isnt the post where u should be bragging about your mediocre damage lol
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 11:13 AMPosted by ChuckNorris
then this isnt the post where u should be bragging about your mediocre damage lol

I wasn't bragging, I was suggesting a build based on DPS which is the point of this thread. And my damage isn't bad for 1 hand with a Mojo.
Reply Quote
Finally people start realizing what I've been saying for awhile :P this build <- is awesome.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 11:18 AMPosted by weesheng
Thank you for your tests. So lets assume I want to swap bears out. Which pure DPS skill comes behind it?

I'm not sure, maybe WoS? But Blazing Spiders is not far behind WoS in damage. Acid Rain may be even better (including Corpse Bomb which was really good) but it's difficult to spam that skill for very long. It would be nice if I did further testing and actually recorded my numbers, but that sounds like a lot of work :P
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 10:51 AMPosted by ChuckNorris
is it safe to use this particular program... like has it been checked for trojans, keyloggers exc. and also is it safe to use under blizz tos or is it bannable?

You can never be 100% sure, but the people on Reddit have been using it, and supposedly you can decompile the .exe to see the source. But I do have two-layer authentication turned on, and just in case I created a restore point in Windows.
Reply Quote
I kind of gave WoS a bad rap. I retried to get a better idea of how it compares to Blazing. WoS maxed out at about 500K for me, while Blazing maxed out around 350. So WoS does considerably more damage, but you gotta make considerations for the extra mana use.
Reply Quote
Dont say corpse spiders are good you're gonna get treated like a noob in here by the so called experts! The spiders are one of the best kept secret, been using them forever!
Edited by DFRELAT#1178 on 11/3/2012 9:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I prefer leaping spiders myself for farming or group play but for ubers definitely blazing. However that being said, I cant use the spiders anymore on ubers, the reflect kills me real fast even with the 1887 loh I have. So right know with the gear and dps I have I must switch to rain of toads to survive ubers. I'm guessing that when i finally get a great life steal weapon and with a certain amount of loh I should be able to use the spiders all the time again.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 09:29 PMPosted by DFRELAT
I prefer leaping spiders myself for farming or group play but for ubers definitely blazing. However that being said, I cant use the spiders anymore on ubers, the reflect kills me real fast even with the 1887 loh I have. So right know with the gear and dps I have I must switch to rain of toads to survive ubers. I'm guessing that when i finally get a great life steal weapon and with a certain amount of loh I should be able to use the spiders all the time again.

Yeah, I have an alt weapon with 1800 LoH that really needs RoT or AC to shine. I usually hit reflect packs with bears for a while, then use RoT to heal and to allow my mana to fill up.

Since the typical high-MP elite fight never lets me sit still, it's hard to justify a main damage skill other than Bears for key farming. I fire Bears then move, fire Bears then move, repeat repeat repeat. It's best to have every attack count for a lot of damage in that situation.

With ubers it's a little different. A 4-person group (especially with a CM wiz) will often keep them occupied a bit which will allow you to spam your skill of choice. Bears is great but you run out of mana before long. WoS is a better choice, probably. But Blazing is definitely not a bad choice. You can even run with PtV if you feel like it. PtV Blazing + Manitou is pretty good damage.
Edited by Jasonator#1483 on 11/4/2012 12:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just tested out blazing spiders...they are awesome. I love the near zero mana cost and almost Well of Souls DPS. It's worth incorporating into my AC/Bear build. Good research!
Reply Quote
I like spiders too, I was using blazing initially but switched to leaping cos they are more versatile
I am just using them as I refill my mana for about 5 secs, then I continue AC or ZB everything
Reply Quote
I like spiders too, I was using blazing initially but switched to leaping cos they are more versatile
I am just using them as I refill my mana for about 5 secs, then I continue AC or ZB everything

Yeah I had that issue too. Goblins will outrun blazing spiders and wont get full damage on those annoying act 2 wasps or sucubi where I need the damage the most. I prefer to use leaping.

Pyrogeist - Horrible. This must be bugged.

Erm.... uhhh... you realize Pyrogeist is a fire and forget kindof thing that you cannot spam like the rest. What are you saying its horrible compared to?
Edited by Nich#1860 on 11/4/2012 5:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]