Diablo® III

New Update for Mid-2012 (June) MBA/MBPs

- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Apple has released a new update for all Macbook (Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, and probably the Retina Macbook Pro as well even though the article fails to mention it) models introduced in June 2012. This update improves stability and performance of the graphics system and USB devices, and is recommended for anybody using those systems.

The OS required is listed as 10.7.4, but that almost assuredly is supposed to be "10.7.4 or later". It seems whoever at Apple typed up this article didn't do their homework or even proofread it.

The update can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609?

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
It updates the nviida kepler drivers from 295 to 304, should bring about significant performance improvements to some games and applications as the 295 drivers were pretty horrid for 600 series (kepler) nvidia cards.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
This update has been pulled and re-released to fix keychain issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1611
Reply Quote
The game has started performing terribly since this latest patch from Apple for me. Game ran as smooth as it did on my PC before. Now its stuttery and nearly unplayable on my retina macbook pro.

Looks like an SMC reset was required to fix this performance issue.
Edited by Nicarras#1104 on 11/25/2012 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
So I updated to Mountain Lion this week not knowing about this announcement. I thought that Diablo was glitching or something because I was getting SIGNIFICANT graphic improvements. Like everything feels like 60 fps. I almost can't play this fast lol. I know, I know... my burdon to bare. I'm running the highest pimped out Retina Display Macbook Pro 15 inch. If anyone is debating a M. Lion upgrade... Do it for this reason alone. It's a different game completely!

HOWEVER... Attention Blizzard!!!: The game makes the Macbook fans a billion times louder since I upgraded to M. Lion. Kind of had me worried to be honest. I turned down the graphic settings cause I haven't heard the Retina this loud before. It's like 700% louder. Before the update, I rarely noticed the fans. Now, it's all I hear. Should I be worried? I love the new graphics gameplay BUT it's not worth melting my $3,000+ Macbook for. Have you noticed this issue? Is there any way you could cool the game down on your end?
Reply Quote
It's louder because the hotter your mac gets, it will speed up the fans to cool it off.
Reply Quote
Well obviously lol. I'm a game artist, I know these things. But I'm reporting it. It's REALLY loud. Almost (almost hehe) that I should stop playing. I've turned down some settings to make it quieter but that didn't seem to work. The game's frame rate was really choppy before these new and improved settings and yet the fans could barely be heard. Now, the game is smooth yet really loud. Hmmmm. Are you aware of this Blizzard?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
After an EFI, Firmware, or update listed simply as "Update" from Apple, it is always a good thing to reset your SMC the moment you notice anything going whacko. It usually isn't required for an OS update, but as we saw with the 10.8.2 update (which was horribly done on Apple's part IMO), an SMC reset was required to get things working right again.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]