^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
Ive tried both runes and given each an extensive test over a variety of monster power levels , farming routes, weapon combinations.

my conclusion is Strength from the earth is the winner hands down in nearly every situation for my setup/items.
Reply Quote
Never messed much with ss seems like it combined with wep throw would be sweet
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
12/02/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Pariah
Never messed much with ss seems like it combined with wep throw would be sweet

yep yep. mid-ranged barb ftw
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
I have a couple questions for you on seismic slam. Let me be clear that it is my favorite barbarian skill and I like using Shattered Ground with it because the knockbacks and animation are really sweet. Obviously, my gear is lacking, but I have tried to not use the AH at all. 98% of my current gear is either self found or found from my mates that I run with. It is just personal preference, nothing more. I run MP5 without any problems.

You can view my current build in my profile.

Here are my questions:

1. Does into the fray regenerate any fury on seismic slam with shattered ground or only rumble? I have tested this and clearly it is not as optimal.
2. How do you work around the champs when they are waller? It is frustrating that seismic usually gets blocked by the walls.
3. Does OP regenerate faster by the crits on seismic slam with shattered ground - for example: if seismic hits 5 enemies and crits 3, it seems like it only procs the cooldown timer on OP by 1 second.

Any other gear tips would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply Quote
View profile
1. Does into the fray regenerate any fury on seismic slam with shattered ground or only rumble? I have tested this and clearly it is not as optimal.

Both Rumble and Seismic Slam have the same proc coefficient = 0.333. Which means they have a 0.333% proc of Into The Fray.
However, the aftershocks of Rumble also have 0.333%.
Therefore, per cast of Rumble, you proc's Into The Fray more.
0.333 + 0.333 + 0.333
However, Strength from Earth is half the fury cost. So, per 30 fury, you can cast twice.
0.333 + 0.333 (more total damage than Rumble)
This is helpful if you have the attack speed to spam Slam very fast.
2. How do you work around the champs when they are waller? It is frustrating that seismic usually gets blocked by the walls.

Rumble can go through wallers - only the aftershock.
3. Does OP regenerate faster by the crits on seismic slam with shattered ground - for example: if seismic hits 5 enemies and crits 3, it seems like it only procs the cooldown timer on OP by 1 second.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgL5S3Revw9ddEhScEpSLWhnRDZKV25OaWZJcHdkN0E#gid=1
All of the slam runes have the same proc coefficient of 0.333. Only one that is reduced is Shattered ground to 0.200. Cracking Rift is actually 0.500.
So, technically Shattered ground should be returning the least fury.
However, in practice, I'm hitting over 3.5 Attacks per second on perma-Wrath, and I can't feel the difference between runes in terms of Into The Fray.

Btw, I use Weapon Throw as fury generator. 1 or 2 hits (which take me less than 1 second) and I'm completely full fury.
Reply Quote
Just to confirm: when you say proc coefficient at the top on into the fray - it means each rune has a 33% chance to proc the fury regeneration, correct? You say proc of .3333 and then .3333% but I just want to confirm it is really 33%.

Down below you talk about proc coefficient again where I was referring to the OP cooldown proc on crits. Shattered ground only had a 20% to proc the 1 sec cooldown tick vs Cracking at 50%?

I understand the weapon throw fully. Makes perfect sense and I've considered it before but I am trying to make my seismic slams as powerfull as possible - I just don't quite have the base damage and crit dmg % that I need. Thus, I use Bash to build it up a bit more, Battle Fury with Marauders. Admiteddly the fury build-up is slow. I was hoping I could sub in Unforgiving and full IK set for a little extra pop eventually.

Thanks for the clarification.
Reply Quote
Update - also, I have noticed my IAS is too slow which hurts the amount of seismics I can release and the fury regeneration I get coming back via Bash, etc.. I think I am probably going to have to start using the AH for gear upgrades though.
Reply Quote
View profile
Just to confirm: when you say proc coefficient at the top on into the fray - it means each rune has a 33% chance to proc the fury regeneration, correct? You say proc of .3333 and then .3333% but I just want to confirm it is really 33%.

Correct. 33% or 0.333. that other one was typo.
Reply Quote
View profile
Update - also, I have noticed my IAS is too slow which hurts the amount of seismics I can release and the fury regeneration I get coming back via Bash, etc.. I think I am probably going to have to start using the AH for gear upgrades though.

Attack speed FTW. It benefits WW tick rate, and it lets you spam Slam so fast it turns into a blur.

My strategy has 2 essential components:
1) Perma-Wrath on single targets (multiple goes without saying). I can just sit there and spam Weapon Throw and also spam battlerage and sprint as fury dumps (because those abilities don't interrupt your attack).
2) Enough attack speed to Slam 3 times in 1 second. This allows me to alternate Throw/Slam/Throw/Slam/Throw/Slam with minimal interrupt. On single targets, this alternation is necessary to sustain fury. On mobs, I can just spam Slam alone.
Edited by Castablanca#1545 on 1/10/2013 12:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
^
Reply Quote
I hope Castablanca won't mind if I chime in a bit.

@Magneto

I understand the weapon throw fully. Makes perfect sense and I've considered it before but I am trying to make my seismic slams as powerfull as possible - I just don't quite have the base damage and crit dmg % that I need. Thus, I use Bash to build it up a bit more, Battle Fury with Marauders. Admiteddly the fury build-up is slow. I was hoping I could sub in Unforgiving and full IK set for a little extra pop eventually.

I've taken a look at your build from your profile and I think your current build is a more burst style build, which means you plan on doing more damage in a short amount of time but it doesn't last very long. As evident from your saying that your fury build-up is slow etc.

I think this is because in an effort to make your slams powerful (as in do a lot of damage), you have actually put together some skills that cause your play style to be a bit choppy. If I'm not wrong, you probably play like this: you engage mobs using Bash to generate fury but it's slow to build it up to full globe, then when you do, you start Slamming but find that you can only slam about 3-5 times and you run out of fury and you have to start using Bash again. So in an effort to increase fury generation, you use Momentum rune for Overpower and Animosity.

I think this mix of skills is actually causing your damage output to be much lower as you can't slam continuously. I think there are two main culprits for that, first is that you're not using Into The Fray for Battle Rage and 2nd, you're not using Rumble for Seismic Slam.

Right now, you are using Bash - Punish, not even Instigation which means you need 12.5 attacks to generate 100 fury (full globe). At an attack speed of 2 attacks per second, that means you need 6 seconds to generate a full globe, which is very slow. Not mention you are using a 2-hander without much IAS on your gear, which means your attack speed is probably less that 2 attacks per second. If you are willing to use Into The Fray, you will find yourself generating fury much faster to start slamming.

Also, I believe you are using Shattered Ground to try and increase your damage output but actually Rumble does more damage than Shattered Ground if the mob stays in the Rumble effect (300% vs 288%). Right now, using Shattered Ground without Into The Fray returns absolutely zero Fury when you slam, hence you can't slam for long. If you're willing to use Rumble with Into The Fray, you will find that you can almost slam non-stop on a good size mob and not having to use Bash at all. That way, you are actually doing much more damage than with Shattered Ground and Marauder's Rage.

Another good thing if you use Rumble and Into The Fray is that you can use Weapon Master Passive with an Axe or Mace (2-hander or 1-handers is your own choice). The extra 10% CC from Weapon Master will make up for the 8% Seismic Slam CC on your IK Boulder Breaker, thus increasing your overall damage for both Seismic Slam and all other attacks as well.

Lastly for your build, you can switch Momentum Rune on Overpower to Killing Spree, that will help increase your damage and help proc Overpower more often and also help return more Fury from Into The Fray.

I think now your main concern of asking about Overpower procs is because you are using the Momentum Rune to help generate fury. If you use the skills I mentioned, you will find that to be a non-issue at all. With 24.5% CC on your gear and with Ruthless and Weapon Master (if you use an Axe or Mace), you will have 44.5% CC which is more than enough to slam non-stop on a mobs, increasing your Slam damage by a lot.

You can use a build like the following:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aeRQkP!ZYd!bbYZcc

In the above build, I chose WOTB-Thrive on Chaos instead of Insanity, as you can maintain WOTB with just Rumble and Into The Fray. But it's your choice.

Finally, IAS helps a lot more than you think. With faster attack speed, you not just return Fury faster with Into The Fray, but it also helps you maintain the Knockback effect on mobs. The aftershocks of Rumble is spread out over 2 seconds and you do an additional 2 procs (of Into The Fray and LoH) in that 2 seconds. So although Rumble returns more Fury and LoH, you actually have to wait 2 seconds to get the full benefit. If you have faster attack speed, you will have more Rumble effects underneath the mobs at the same time, returning Fury and LoH faster.

Try the build and see how it works for you. I hope this helps.
Edited by Orion#6600 on 1/10/2013 1:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]