Diablo® III

OFFICIAL "mobs aren't at full health" thread!

I have now seen this posted about in at least three different threads, so I wanted to try to make a singular one to discuss it in that can stay active, and perhaps get a blue comment on this oddness as well.

A strange problem has started happening recently where fresh mobs that you have yet to fight are already down from max health, showing their life bars. It does not seem to go beyond about a quarter missing, or at least I have not seen them go lower personally. Before you plan to comment on how it is a source of damage like the other threads always get, let me cover the bases. It is NOT:

- Special properties on gear that cause damage (like the one on my Storm Crow)

- Follower damage

- Environmental damage

- NPC damage (Stonefort, for example)

- Players leaving and joining, causing the health pools to change

- Any damage source traveling off-screen in general

You can run around without a follower not using a single skill and mobs will not have full health randomly as you run across them. I saw a moth pop out of the ground last night in A1, I hadn't been there yet, and it was missing a quarter of its health already. I have also seen a Goblin with missing health that was not woken up.

Not that this bug, or whatever it is, is anything substantial. If anything, this benefits the players. But who knows what is going on behind the scenes to cause this, and what else that it may be affecting? It's always good to look into.

So please, post about it here and keep this bumped so that new threads aren't continually made and it gets some attention from a blue to satisfy our curiosities. I leave you with the three threads I've found on it thus far:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006346997
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006345397
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006345734
Edited by TheMaster627#1815 on 11/12/2012 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Who cares? Its less health means faster runs.... Maybe its how they adjusted their health for the nerf in 1.0.5 b
Edited by FatZero#1910 on 11/11/2012 8:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
so instead of keeping the old threads active (there are 3 already and the most recent one being <1hr old) you decide to contradict yourself and make another one? :o
Reply Quote
Got the same "issue" lol. Id place my bets on monster power having something to do with it tho.
Reply Quote
Most of the time this is caused by either: NPCs that have activated in response to damage taken (and started to damage the monsters); or environment damage (especially in areas like Stonefort because the mortar does not seem to be quite as sensitive to the range of the player). Also noteworthy is that environment damage effects like the flamethrowers constantly affect monster health, even if it is minimal.

Stonefort is the area I notice this the most, and it's typically from the constant incoming mortar (environment damage) and the NPCs activating. The monsters can also kill the NPCs making it seem like nothing was around them.

I have also seen several treasure monsters already running or just their gold pile trails before I have even reached their area, indicating that they were startled without a player, follower, or other typical form of instigation involved.

These are my observations, hope they help.

Cheers.

-Straag-
Reply Quote
The other threads weren't set up as well and are just "is this a problem?" followed by posts going "environmental damage noob", which isn't very clear. I intended to make a clearer thread about it.

11/11/2012 08:09 PMPosted by FatZero
Who cares? Its less health means faster runs.... Maybe its how they adjusted their health for the nerf in 1.0.5 b

It isn't a big deal, no, but as I said, who knows what is behind the scenes causing it? It should be looked into, it is obviously a problem in some way. I am not sure exactly when it cropped up so who knows...

To Straag above me, it is none of those things and I already covered this. I will add NPC's to the list of damage it is not though now that you remind me.
Reply Quote
Noticed the exact same thing.
In many places, not only stonefort.
p.e.: arreat crater lvl 2 -> running a small passage way up... havent seen the monsters so far...
they appear in front of me with 75% hp.
Not a bad thing though -> speeds up the whole thing ^^

EDIT:

Using a scoundrel with a Buriza and playing on MP6... so theres NO WAY my scoundrel with his 100 DPS can cause 25% of their health to disappear in a split second...
Edited by Cha0s#2522 on 11/11/2012 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've seen an elite monster getting axed over and over by those things in act 1 dungeon, he was about 2/3 health when I got there.
Reply Quote

Guessing you haven't done much programming.

You never know what a bug is affecting in its entirety. For all we know, whatever bug is causing this also sets your legendary drops on "crap" and this is just the only visible evidence. Bugs should always be fixed.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Zoid

Guessing you haven't done much programming.

You never know what a bug is affecting in its entirety. For all we know, whatever bug is causing this also sets your legendary drops on "crap" and this is just the only visible evidence. Bugs should always be fixed.

Exactly, thank you, this is why I am trying to bring it to light, there could be nasty things going on that we have no idea about, and it isn't really a popular enough topic to get many eyes and hasn't been posted in a proper manner that shows it as a bug. I am hoping a centralized thread fixes that. Blizzard has responded to and tested topics in the past that was getting attention to ensure things are running correctly, and in this case there is definitely actually something up. Not just a "feeling" that pets don't apply magic find if they kill. Please keep it bumped everybody!
Reply Quote
i have seen gold that is just sitting on the ground and i havnt killed anything yet, something is wierd could we geta blue to comment
Reply Quote
The reason this happens is because the traps in an area will trigger when you get near, but before they are on your screen. They will scare goblins away and damage some regular mobs. This IS a newer problem I never use to notice. And I am certain many goblins are lost this way that people don't even see.

Fix plz
Reply Quote
Yup. This thread looks official.
Reply Quote
The reason this happens is because the traps in an area will trigger when you get near, but before they are on your screen. They will scare goblins away and damage some regular mobs. This IS a newer problem I never use to notice. And I am certain many goblins are lost this way that people don't even see.

Fix plz

Nope, not what is happening. Covered that already so try again.

11/11/2012 10:36 PMPosted by Leemor
Yup. This thread looks official.

Seemed like a good attention-grabber, and somebody from Blizzard isn't going to make it. Best I can do.
Reply Quote
Just earlier I ran into a champ pack in Tower of the Cursed, Act 3, on my Witch Doctor and the entire pack was at half health. There is no way "environmental" damage did this because the only traps around are those fire-breathing heads, and none were near the pack.

It's happened on my Monk and DH before, but they have abilities that travel off-screen so I didn't pay attention to it. With my Witch Doctor, however, I only use Grasping Hands, Zombie Bears, and Acid Cloud - none of witch travel or wander off screen.

The only other explanation would be my pets, but there is no way that they would have traveled far enough ahead and attacked for long enough to take the champs to half health (and not have taken damage themselves on top of that).

It may not be a bug in some cases, maybe not even in most, but it's definitely happening and, like someone posted earlier, it may not be restricted to health values. There could be monsters doing more or less damage, dropping more or less loot, etc, etc. A bug is a bug and it should be looked into and fixed, regardless of whether we see it as beneficial or not.
Reply Quote
I had this last night on my wizard (with templar follower)...Act 2 MP0. Random mobs with about 20% of their health missing. Didn't think much of it but seems like a lot of people are getting this.

I also have noticed random piles of gold every now and then, but figured they were meant to be there.
Reply Quote

tend to agree. any advantage, however small, is welcome, since dev team is so keen on holding the players back and making the game difficult, annoying, and un-fun, any way they can.

but to the naysayers ... the "environmental or npc damage" ppl ... COME ON! it happened to me recently that every single mob in the weeping hollow had a red bar above their heads the first time i encountered them.

environmental damage, really?
npc damage, really?!

personally i just have this recurring vision about what happens to the bread you didn't eat when u dine at a restaurant. it gets served to the next customers, of course! (j/k, right?) ...... is blizzard recycling ABP (already-been-played) D3 games?! (LOL.)

the fact alone that this is a new phenomenon ppl are commenting on in the last week or so should be enough to tell you that this is nothing "natural" that has "been going on all along". it's some new issue. get real and stop acting like u know things.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 11:19 PMPosted by JPG
I also have noticed random piles of gold every now and then, but figured they were meant to be there.

Yeah, the random piles of gold I have also noticed (has been around forever), but those seemed intentional. They seem to appear in the same areas, like Vault of the Assassin and there are definitely two piles always near the Arreat Crater 1 waypoint, right near it, and just north of it. Also strange, but unrelated to the health it would seem since it has always been there.
Reply Quote
Anyone considered its a lead up event? Some demonic spawn is draining all demons to rise once again?

Wishful thinking!
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 12:51 AMPosted by TheMaster627

Yeah, the random piles of gold I have also noticed (has been around forever), but those seemed intentional. They seem to appear in the same areas, like Vault of the Assassin and there are definitely two piles always near the Arreat Crater 1 waypoint, right near it, and just north of it. Also strange, but unrelated to the health it would seem since it has always been there.

I'd concur for the most part. I did however witness an NPC in the A3 field attack a goblin, causing him to run off and leave behind only a couple piles of gold (before I caught up and killed him).

Also to add, I've ran across packs with less than full hp in pretty much every game and in every Act I've played in recently. It's definitely not NPCs, environmental or followers doing the damage. I've started a game in Act 2 without a follower, immediately ported to Black Canyon Mines and found almost all of the enemies had lost some portion of their hp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]