Diablo® III

Jedi Monk Academy - Sagittarius constellation

Blessed is the One, who is With the inner patience, to learn Everything from this grimoire.
Cursed is he, who sneers at the wisdom of the gods, for he shall find no place in the grace of Divinity!

You should definitely use this as a signature.

And as you read this I am well on the way of reading this guide ^.^

~Regards
A Rampant AI~
Edited by ShadowStarr5#1189 on 11/13/2012 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
lvling up a monk
this is definity an interesting/informative read
will be coming back
keep up the good work
Reply Quote
Have patience, Lord Rhaahl

In time the ignorance of hating posters will reveal itself without effort and it is not worth spending posts about it now. They do not deserve the attention.

Damn i gotta say this is looking to be one massive guide, great work thus far.

I met you on EU forums a while back on the count, when i was using the name Unleashed, and i waited for your guide but eventually thought damn he gave up on its complexity like the rest, luckily not i see now. Now i have returned home to my proper computer and can play once again, and so i commence my onslaught.

While i could myself never have written such an enormous guide, i am rather a master of the monk as well and there is one thing i must disagree to.

Peaceful Repose vs Ascension
A majority of monks run with Ascension, as they believe the extra 1 second will give them more leverage.
But that’s not true at all.
The Jedi Monk Academy favors Peaceful Repose for young Padawans, for the following reasons:

1) PR gives you a 7k heal, while Ascension does not. With Ascension, you will need a lot of Life on hit, and decent amount of Attack Speed, not to mention several monsters around, to be able to gain 7k life in 1 second.
2) You shouldn’t need more than 3 seconds of invulnerability, anyone that needs that much invul, is a dweeb. Yes, you’re all dweebs. >:D
If 1 extra second makes the difference between life and death, (more than once a day)
Then you are doing it wrong.

3) PR can be used as a potion while idling or in between battles, while Ascension cannot.
4) PR gives you instant recovery in terms of tiding in the battle; it pulls you right up from the low-health zone and gets you right back into combat.
5) PR is also more beneficial for kiting builds that require the heal, when you’re attack monsters from a distance and cannot regain back enough LoH in 1 extra second.
6) PR is dual purposes, just as all the other Serenity runes. Whereas Ascension is purely for the purpose of invulnerability.
7) The Jedi Elders considers Ascension, being single purpose rune, as the worst Serenity rune there is. Yes. All Serenity runes are better than Ascension.

I do agree peaceful repose has the added benefit of a potion when kiting, that is very strong.

I do not play with ascension unless i am doing ubers, but i recall using it for different reasons, let me explain why. I was running Thunderclap / Keen eye before the nerfs to retain the LoH scaling from TC, while having the defensive and kiting advantages of keen eye.

With TC you would heal entirely up in 4 seconds of immunity without having an unrealistic amount of LoH, which means that the extra heal it adds was not required and was little in comparison to an extra 33% immunity duration.

It was also often so that you would go in, unleash until the point of almost dying, then pop serenity and heal back up, then retreat to kiting range until duration was ready, go in rince repeat. The ascention extra duration i valued with my third eye provided me with greater power than any other rune.

Then i was using ascension because it simply was superior, and still is in nearly all situations where you do not need a potion (can use duration to heal through attacks), and where your gear/skill setup has little healing when striking. Outside of those two situations i still think the better choice is ascension. The single purpose i had ascension for was the immunity, i found the immunity simply superior to any other benefit of that skill and i would not have chosen the skill had it not given the immunity, i therefore do not think one should write of ascension as a nub choice because is has but one purpose., given that the other runes purposes are so limited. It is also a better counter to reflect damage.

There was another small thing now that i think about it

--Order of importance in gears--

Legit Balanced Monk version :

All Resistance ~ Armor > Dexterity ~ DPS > Vitality ~ Life On Hit >
Critical Hit Chance > Attack Speed > Critical Hit Damage >
Life Steal > Movement Speed > Life Per Second >> Life Bonus Percent >
Spirit Regeneration >> Status Effects (stun/freeze/blind etc.) > Pickup radius > health globe bonus > Melee/Missile Reduction >> Life per spirit spent >> Elite Damage Reduction ~ Elite Damage Bonus > Life Per Kill >>>>>>> Thorns >> Crowd Control Reduction > everything else > Bonus Experience >> Magic Find > Gold Find.

I think its worthy of note that resistance > armor in order importance in gear. Last time i checked the formulas, 1 resistance = 10 armor. Basically on most gear as you know you can have 80 all resist for example, while you only find between 265-397 bonus armor which is at best equal to around 40 resist.

A well geared monk will have, lets say, 700 all resist and 4k armor (depending on skills), which basically means you will have slightly more benefit from gaining 10 armor than 1 resistance since they have diminishing returns (seek belance between the two to optimize rather than mega one and crapped other). Ideally armor:resist ratio of 10:1, but actual choices limit you from using this information very often, unless you have bad resistance rolls.

What i mean to say is, gear gives around twice as much resistance benefit as armor benefit which means you would want to priotize resistance over armor on items , since resistance gives so much more.
Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 11/13/2012 7:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
OMG, Unleashed!!
it is good to see you again :D!

You remembered! and still had faith in me <3

The gods have summon you to my thread, it's Fate in a small world!
so my friend, stay awhile and listen xD.
I am honored to have you stick around and patron this thread.

anyways Yes,
Ascension is good, but the point of that section,
is to give readers a wake up call to begin considering the other runes of serenity, I gotta use the Jedi Mind Tricks.
But I have added a segment about using Ascension with Beacon of Ytar.
With that Synergy, it becomes the best Serenity rune, because of the lengthened duration of being able to go Invulnerable.

and Correct,
AR > armor.

hence I wrote : All Res ~ Armor,
with All Res being first, then Armor.
There are monks who neglect AR for total Armor though, and it's astounding how much they can actually tank about as good as the standard AR monk.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 11/13/2012 5:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
UPDATE - The book of Taurus is now being posted, stay tuned and check first page!
Reply Quote
wow! what an epic post OP. sticky this!
Reply Quote
This is probably the best resource any of the 5 classes have available on these forums. The problem is how long it is and the fact that Blizzard doesn't allow linkable topic indexes. It would be much easier to actually find what you're looking for if you posted it on GF for instance, since their FAQs allow this. I'm interested in reading what you have to say, but not in one sitting, and if theres something specific its easier just to do a forum search tbh...

The only solution I can think of is to put the address links to each post (with their respective topics listed) in the first post that way people can click on them to go to exactly what they're looking for.

Anyways, despite all that, thanks for doing this. Its great (regardless of the "problem" I've brought up) for the community for sure.
Reply Quote
IT is too long :(

I stopped reading when i got to the table of content....... which takes 3 scrolls to finish.

No doubt the info will be in this guide, but the time spent finish reading this guide, if you just spent it playing the game, you wouldve mastered the monk class, without a guide.
Reply Quote
IT is too long :(

I stopped reading when i got to the table of content....... which takes 3 scrolls to finish.

because you're not one of the chosen.
This book is not for you.

No doubt the info will be in this guide, but the time spent finish reading this guide, if you just spent it playing the game, you wouldve mastered the monk class, without a guide.

keep playing and keep doing the wrong thing?
this book only takes a few hours to finish (with the reading portion)
you won't "master" the monk class without this guide.
As a matter of fact, Noone, masters Anything, without research, study, and practice.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 11/13/2012 9:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
As a matter of fact, Noone, masters Anything, without research, study, and practice.

No offense, but belittling someone for stating their opinion is nowhere near the right attitude to have if you're wanting them to show interest in something you've done.

Your guide might be a good source of information, but its not the end all be all source each and every monk should follow. Especially considering so much of it is opinionated and not factual, and some that is the latter is even incorrect.

I'm also not sure why when describing builds you chose to completely change the names of some skills and runes. If you want this to be a "newb" friendly guide then you might want to consider changing that, or at least also put which skills/runes you're actually referring to in parenthesis.

edit: its also pretty shady that you didn't post this using your main account btw
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 11/13/2012 10:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
whatever floats your boat mate. spending time finding a style that fits me by trail and error beats spending the same time reading what other thinks how to properly play the class. I read guides AFTER i figure out how i want my monk to be, not before. doesnt make mine wrong.

MAybe mastering is not the best word for it, but you are writting a guide using some weird language, so i dont really see how you can pick on mine. Everyone knows what i meant. But hey, again, whatever floats your boat.

And you were the one who said this guide you can finish reading in a day. Dont really see how that is "a few hours".
Reply Quote

No offense, but belittling someone for stating their opinion is nowhere near the right attitude to have if you're wanting them to show interest in something you've done.

gaining mere interest is not my objective.
this is the Monk guide that transcends All, they will read it if they are smart.
knowing that after this guide, there is no more monk guides necessary.

but its not the end all be all source each and every monk should follow. Especially considering so much of it is opinionated and not factual, and some that is the latter is even incorrect.

lol, what do you mean? the very build you are using, was crafted by yours truly.

its also pretty shady that you didn't post this using your main account btw

Read introduction post.
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 11/13/2012 10:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

(1) gaining mere interest is not my objective.
this is the Monk guide that transcends All, they will read it if they are smart.
knowing that after this guide, there is no more monk guides necessary.

but its not the end all be all source each and every monk should follow. Especially considering so much of it is opinionated and not factual, and some that is the latter is even incorrect.

(2) lol, what do you mean? the very build you are using, was crafted by yours truly.

its also pretty shady that you didn't post this using your main account btw

(3) Read introduction post.

1. Nobody wants to read role playing dribble spewed forth by someone so cocky. If you truly wanted to help the community your attitude would be drastically different

2. Actually I've been using this build since act 2 inferno, which was about 5 days after launch. Nice try though.

3. No thanks. I'd rather read someone's thread who isn't an arrogant fool. Think I'll go check Deathlocks thread out to see if anything new has been posted, he seems to be a nice fellow too.
Reply Quote
1. The community in its corrupted state cannot be helped by sugarcoated nicety.
I am simply reflecting the mentality of the monk nowadays and what they really think of themselves. The ends justifies the means, you'll thank me later.

2. Nice try at lying. You have 5k elite kill, and only paragon 10, your gear and profile says you are a new player.

3. You'll find yourself reading this exact post more than once.
You'll find yourself being here time and time again, young one. ;)
Edited by LordRaahl#1733 on 11/13/2012 11:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Self absorbed arrogance and internet self-righteousness will always exist.

Haters gonna hate.

Can't wait to read this
Reply Quote
Haters gonna hate.

I didn't realize not tolerating arrogance and cockiness is frowned upon in this establishment. My mistake.
Reply Quote
What fun !!

I'd read this just for the writing <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]