Diablo® III

Best laptop for Diablo 3 for under $500?

Can anyone help me on this one? All the posts I find from the past all have outdated links or discontinued laptops. With Christmas coming up, Im sure my son would love to find a nice new laptop under the tree! Doesnt need to be top of the line, just a nice screen and a video card capable of playing D3 with decent graphics. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Check black Friday ads for deals -- like newegg, frys, and local stores.
Reply Quote
get a laptop with hd 3000-4000 integrated card and 4g RAM, worth like 300-500$
Reply Quote
I would say Dell Inspiron or Asus K series with 2nd gen Intel processor, 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD.
The most impotant part is the graphic card but it seems vary a lot, so try your shot at notebookreview.com.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:02 AMPosted by leahzirch

3000 or 4500 will not be enough to run the game, even on low graphic settings.
Edited by Sjlent#1380 on 11/13/2012 11:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
I saw some ASUS Gamer laptops on clearance where I live at a store... they came with the latest NVIDIA Mobile cards too... was like $600 or so for one on clearance, not too shabby of a price :)

Sorry, cant remember the model of them, but I know it was in the G series range.
Edited by LiLmEgZ#1525 on 11/13/2012 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Runs fine on my Gateway NV57H57u if you want to google to compare specs. I think it was pretty cheap. Was actually surprised Gateway still exists when I bought it. I would guess not going lower than an i5 processor is key but what do I know?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Get a desktop, buying a cheap laptop is a total waste of money if you intend to game.
Reply Quote
Get him a good condition ASUS REPUBLIC OF GAMERS laptop. I bought mine and loved it so much I bought my daughter the exact same one. Mine is the ASUS G72Gx which features a 17.3-inch high definition display with a 16:9 aspect ratio crystal clear visuals while playing games. Equipped with an incredibly powerful NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M graphics card with 1GB DDR3 VRAM, you can experience high adrenaline action that will keep you at the edge of your seat.
Awesome gaming performance deserves the best audio experience, and that is why the ASUS G72Gx features EAX 4.0, which delivers 64 additional sound effects, and recreates and renders multimple environmental sounds simultaneously. It also features CMSS-3D audio, which delivers 3D spatial sound with 7 virtual speakers providing you with ultra-realistic immersive audio experience.
Game On Even in Adversed Lighting Conditions
Banish your foes into the abyss of darkness with the illuminated keyboard as your guide. It allows for lightning fast reflexes even while in the dark.
Up to 15%* Boost in Performance
Performance Boost allows you to crank up the performance of the Intel Core 2 processor to your heart's desire. Simply utilize the easy-to-use interface and choose the overclocking speed to suit your prevailing usage.
Specifications
Processor & Cache Memory Intel® Quad™ Core Processor Q9000 : 2.0 GHz
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600/P8800/P8700/T6600 : 2.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz,

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Chipset Mobile Intel® P43 Express Chipset +ICH10
Main Memory DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM, 3 x SODIMM socket for expansion up to 6144MB SDRAM (6GB)

Display 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080)/HD+ (1600x900) Color-Shine (Glare-type),Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology
Video Graphics & Memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M with 1GB GDDR3 VRAM
Hard Drive 500GB,5400rpm;7200rpm
Dual SATA support up to 1TB (7200/5400 rpm),

Optical Drive DVD Super Multi Double Layer
Blu-Ray DVD Combo
Card Reader 8 in 1 card reader, SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,XD,Smart Media,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo
Video Camera 2.0 Mega Pixel web camera
Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN Integrated Intel® High Definition Audio chip (Azalia) compliant MDC fax/modem and 10/100/1000 BaseT
Integrated 802.11 b/g/n (optional)
Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.1+EDR (optional)
LED Status Indicator Power-on/Suspend
Battery Charging/full/low
Wireless on status indicator
Interface 1 x Microphone-in jack
2 x Headphone-out jack (1 with S/PDIF)
1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
4 x USB 2.0 ports
1 x IEEE 1394 port
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x E-SATA
Hot Keys Function Keys:
Fn+F1 Suspend switch
Fn+F2 WLAN switch
Fn+F3 Keyboard light down
Fn+F4 Keyboard light up
Fn+F5 Brightness down
Fn+F6 Brightness up
Fn+F7 LCD on/off
Fn+F8 LCD/CRT switch display
Fn+F9 TouchPad Lock
Fn+F10 Volume on/mute
Fn+F11 Volume down
Fn+F12 Volume up
Fn+Ins Numeric Key Pad on/off
Fn+Num Lk: Scroll Lock on/off
Fn+Del Scroll Lock on/off
Fn+Space Power 4Gear
Fn+C Splendid
Fn+V: Life Frame
Fn+↑: Stop
Fn+↓: Play/Pause
Fn+ ←:Skip to Previous Track
Fn+ →:Skip to Next Track
Audio Digital Array Mic
Altec Lansing® speakers
Creative Audigy HD
Keyboard Numeric Keyboard
348mm illuminated Chicklit keyboard and Gaming KBD printing support
Battery Pack & Life 8 cells: 5200 mAh
AC Adapter Output: 19 V DC, 4.74 A, 150W
Input: 100~240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
Dimension & Weight 41.0 x 29.9 x 4.45~5.20 cm (W x D x H)
3.99 kg (with single HDD and 8 cell battery)
Security BIOS Booting / HDD User Password Protection and security lock
Kensington lock hole
Supplied Accessories Gaming Mouse (optional)

ASUS ROG Headset (optional)
Multimedia Software ASUSDVD 6-in-1
WinDVD8 BD
Virus & Tool Software Trend Micro Internet Security 2009
ASUS Utility Asus Win flash for BIOS and Driver live Update
ASUS SmartLogon
ASUS Net 4 switch
Asus Live Update
Asus Multi-Frame
Asus NB Probe +
ASUS Life Frame 3
Asus Data Security Management(ADSM)
Virtual Camera
Asus Wireless Console
ASUS Splendid
ASUS Turbo Gear
ASUS System Panel
ASUS FastBoost
1-year battery pack warranty
On-line problem resolution through web interface (BIOS, Driver update)
OS (Microsoft Windows Vista) install/uninstall consultation
Bundled software install/uninstall consultation
ASUS software supporting
Built-in TV-Tuner Digital TV Tuner (DVB-T)/ No
Edited by Thunderchild#1814 on 11/13/2012 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Shempi
Get a desktop, buying a cheap laptop is a total waste of money if you intend to game.

So not true. I play on both my custom build desk top and my Asus ROG laptop. The laptop is great for taking with me when I'm on the road and also can use it while in bed, sick (when I don't feel like going to my office to use the desk top)
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Sjlent

3000 or 4500 will not be enough to run the game, even on low graphic settings.

Not really true, diablo runs fine with medium settings on my netbook with an ivy bridge i5 and a hd4000.
Reply Quote
I've got a lenovo with dedicated video card. It cost a bit more than $500 but not by much. At first it ran the game HORRIBLY. Got a 16gb usb drive and installed game on that with significant improvement. After some early patch it then played flawlessly. However, even with the dedicated card I have to dial down the graphics in order for it to play smoothly.

Theoretically, an integrated graphics machine should run it but then you'd want to make sure to have enough shared memory so that the cpu and gpu are fighting over resources. And, you'd likely need to have graphics settings on low.
Reply Quote
lol, there is none. xD
Reply Quote
to be honest, i just got a new laptop about a week ago. $400 at best buy and i can run on high settings with shadows turned off. don't know if that would be of any matter to him, but it isn't to me. the most important thing when looking for a computer was the processor, my old one was 1.7 ghz, and this one is 2.7 ghz. d3 has it listed in min requirements for 2.8, but as i said, with shadows off, you should be fine. it's a toshiba satellite c855d - saw your post and wanted to assure you regardless what you hear, i am using a $400 laptop lol
Reply Quote
1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663 $520 Will run at medium-high settings at over 25 fps

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215622 $499 Will run at low settings at over 40 fps

Note that both of these laptops have fairly weak cpu.

if i were you I'd advise saving 100-200 more which isn't too much to ask for and get a laptop that doubles if not triples the performance of these.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Exiter
Can anyone help me on this one? All the posts I find from the past all have outdated links or discontinued laptops. With Christmas coming up, Im sure my son would love to find a nice new laptop under the tree! Doesnt need to be top of the line, just a nice screen and a video card capable of playing D3 with decent graphics. Thanks!

First off I seriously advise you against a laptop if your son does not need a portable computer. A desktop will get far better performance for the cost compared to a laptop (may be prone to overheating).

That said check out Ibuypower.com
They have a November special that starts at $559 for a 6 core cpu and ati hd 6450 - which should run this game fairly well pair with the 8 gig of ram

One benefit to buying a desktop is that you can make a small upgrade later that extends the longevity of the computer itself, whereas you cannot with a laptop.

Finally if you must purchase a laptop (which will be more expensive and have a gimped graphics card most likely... unless its $1000 +) I would check ebay or maybe even craigslist
Reply Quote
Forgot to add you mentioned NEW laptop... I think your going to have trouble finding a new one for that price that can run diablo 3 well..go with the desktop
Reply Quote
I am running on my Dell XPS M1710, med settings gets hot but runs game perfect. High end Vidieo card for a laptop, Was 5 grand a few years ago. Still can find good used ones cheap. Better then a laptop with intergrated vidieo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]